Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

74 has always seemed normal to me but that's probably because of McKee. I can't remember a dman in the 90s. Hal Gill wore 75. Bouque wore 77. Markov 79. Subban 76. 

To me, over 39, they're either vanity numbers or NASCAR numbers dealt out by guys like Simonick.  I wish I could remember his name, but there was a Sens coach who forbid numbers over 49.  I really loved that.  It was smart and it dealt with egos.

To me, over 39, they're either vanity numbers or NASCAR numbers dealt out by guys like Simonick.  I wish I could remember his name, but there was a Sens coach who forbid numbers over 49.  I really loved that.  It was smart and it dealt with ###### egos.

Lou Lamoriello is like that with the Devils. Doesn't let many players wear numbers over something like 40. Jagr and like two others are the only exceptions. Also doesn't let players wear 13. He apparently got pissed when they almost gave Mike Camm his normal 13.

I had Rip's system. If you're going to issue guys a number I'm fine for a number for a game or two, but ask them what they want and get them a good number as soon as possible. I'm also fine with higher numbers if there's a reason for it. Birth year is fine. I'm pretty obsessive over jersey numbers for some strange reason, so I hate watching guys with bad numbers. Like Foligno. I feel like it's half the reason I don't like him (not his fault, he applied to change to 17 but the lockout stopped it).

Edited by Tank

Lou Lamoriello is like that with the Devils. Doesn't let many players wear numbers over something like 40. Jagr and like two others are the only exceptions. Also doesn't let players wear 13. He apparently got pissed when they almost gave Mike Camm his normal 13.

I had Rip's system. If you're going to issue guys a number I'm fine for a ###### number for a game or two, but ask them what they want and get them a good number as soon as possible. I'm also fine with higher numbers if there's a reason for it. Birth year is fine. I'm pretty obsessive over jersey numbers for some strange reason, so I hate watching guys with bad numbers. Like Foligno. I feel like it's half the reason I don't like him (not his fault, he applied to change to 17 but the lockout stopped it).

I'm with you on this. Let guys take whatever number they want. I'd be furious if some dumb equipment manager wouldn't let me take a number like 13.

I had Rip's system. If you're going to issue guys a number I'm fine for a ###### number for a game or two, but ask them what they want and get them a good number as soon as possible. I'm also fine with higher numbers if there's a reason for it. Birth year is fine. I'm pretty obsessive over jersey numbers for some strange reason, so I hate watching guys with bad numbers. Like Foligno. I feel like it's half the reason I don't like him (not his fault, he applied to change to 17 but the lockout stopped it).

Birth year is going to result in a ton of novelty numbers in this generation.  I'm just not in favor of it.  Maybe I'm too old, but I liked it when a goalie wore 1, another goalie wore 30, and most of the players were in between.  There was something cool about that.

Not sure if you're a soccer fan or not, but you'll see this in international teams all the time.  Starting keeper wears 1.  The expected starters wear 2-11.  The reserve keeper usually wears 16.  There's something about that that's incredibly cool.

I'm with you on this. Let guys take whatever number they want. I'd be furious if some dumb equipment manager wouldn't let me take a number like 13.

you, Dan Marino.

I would, too. I honesty wonder if there are players that ask about numbers or consider retired numbers ahead of signing with a team. I'm sure it wouldn't be the difference between two situations, but if they're close it might at least subconsciously slip into their mind.

Not sure if you're a soccer fan or not, but you'll see this in international teams all the time.  Starting keeper wears 1.  The expected starters wear 2-11.  The reserve keeper usually wears 16.  There's something about that that's incredibly cool.

I impress this on my soccer-playing kids: If the other team has a kid wearing #10, presumptively keep a very close eye on him/her.

I agree with the sentiment, but it seems to be breaking down. I was playing a video game system soccer thing with my kid the other day, and, having chosen Man City, I realized that Balotelli had #45 and Yaya Toure' had #42. And that was a 2013 version of the game.

It ain't right.

Back in the day, hockey goalies wore 1 or 30 and above, D wore 2-6, F wore 7-mid 20s. Part of the problem now is retired numbers, and the other is that once a player is called up from minors he keeps the number even if he's sent back down. For instance, Chad Ruhwedel owns 5 for the Sabres, and no one else can use it as long as he's under contract, even though he's spent most of his time with the Amerks.

The players should just have symbols on the back. Have at it...

Miller could wear a target.

:lol:

Zadorov/Girgs could wear a Yield sign to warn opposing players.

Afinogenov would've been a roundabout 

Edited by WildComrade

Birth year is going to result in a ton of novelty numbers in this generation.  I'm just not in favor of it.  Maybe I'm too old, but I liked it when a goalie wore 1, another goalie wore 30, and most of the players were in between.  There was something cool about that.

###### you, Dan Marino.

You are too old.

It's just a number...  or is it?

You'd love rugby (union at least), for international play your number is your position. There are standard schemes and everything.'

Interesting thing I learned (and never thought about) was the Welsh used letters to identify players instead of numbers for a while. Letters almost make more sense as there's 26 (in the Western Roman alphabet) which cover many sports' full roster. I bet the problem with Welsh was everyone wanted to be C, W, and Y so they switched to numbers. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.