Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Because he's almost 31 years old, on the downside of his career, will be significantly diminished as a player by the time we are good and will want him to be, but he will still be taking up 5 mil of cap space, and he doesn't do anything in particular that I want the young guys to emulate.

I would rather pay him 3 years, 21 mil than 5x5.

But how would other guys look at him getting $7MM/yr when they aren't getting close to that?

As long as this is the only bad contract, it's only $2.5MM over 4 years in dead cap if the last 2 years are bought out in a worst case. They should be able to cover it and on the VERY off-chance he's still productive $5MM/yr for a goal scorer will be a bargain.

we need to get to the floor this year, not 5 years from now. Pay him, or anyone, whatever you awant in the next 3 years. we may need that space in 5 years.

You know who provided a lot of points? Miro Satan - and he was run out of town as soon as a real leadership group showed up. Points are irrelevant to what the sabres are doing right now, and he won't be producing many points at 36 when points will matter. How do you know he's a great veteran presence?

This isn't how contracts work at all. Same cap hit all 5 years. That why I said give him 7 mil for 3 years. we don't need the money now, but we might when year 4 and 5 roll around.

Well, Nolan and Murray had a good, long, in-person look at him, so presumably they are confident about it.

I know that some of the Sabres moves would not have been made if they were closer to the cap or ready to contend, but for where they are today, and to be in a good position for the coming years in terms of draft, player development, and be a playoff contender in 15-16, IMO TM did a pretty damn good job between the draft and his first FA/offseason.

I know that some of the Sabres moves would not have been made if they were closer to the cap or ready to contend, but for where they are today, and to be in a good position for the coming years in terms of draft, player development, and be a playoff contender in 15-16, IMO TM did a pretty damn good job between the draft and his first FA/offseason.

I'm very, very happy overall. I'd have rolled the dice on Ehrhoff and recapture, but it's unlikely anyone will agree with every single move a team does. I really like the direction the team is taking, and I think they have the right environment set up to suck next year, yet still have the kids grow and develop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.