Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Marner and Domi have played together in London. Domi is a Phoenix prospect.

Philadelphia has drafted left handed defenders in both of the last 2 drafts and I think they won't be able to resist Crouse.

Toronto is definitely taking Strome if he is there at 4.

I should add that Buffalo should keep their 2nd 1st rounder and draft LHD Jakub Zboril with it.  This kid is exactly the type of player you want in your system. 

"Jakub Zboril is a smart, fleet-footed two-way defenseman that plays to his strengths in all three areas of the ice. While he doesn't aim to impress, he does all of the little things right and plays with an edge. The neutral zone is his launching pad: he is able to take off into the offensive end, or backcheck quickly into his own end. Very sound positionally. Smooth skater with lots of energy to burn. Not afraid to lay the body, or take a hit to make the play; can and will stand up for teammates. Possesses good hands and awareness on the ice, as well as a hard shot that is quite accurate. All-in-all, a complete defenseman that is relied upon to offset any oncoming attacks, as well as create chances in the opposing end. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112379#sthash.xHDaqVb9.dpuf"

Zboril sounds intriguing to me. 

Philadelphia has drafted left handed defenders in both of the last 2 drafts and I think they won't be able to resist Crouse.

I should add that Buffalo should keep their 2nd 1st rounder and draft LHD Jakub Zboril with it.  This kid is exactly the type of player you want in your system. 

"Jakub Zboril is a smart, fleet-footed two-way defenseman that plays to his strengths in all three areas of the ice. While he doesn't aim to impress, he does all of the little things right and plays with an edge. The neutral zone is his launching pad: he is able to take off into the offensive end, or backcheck quickly into his own end. Very sound positionally. Smooth skater with lots of energy to burn. Not afraid to lay the body, or take a hit to make the play; can and will stand up for teammates. Possesses good hands and awareness on the ice, as well as a hard shot that is quite accurate. All-in-all, a complete defenseman that is relied upon to offset any oncoming attacks, as well as create chances in the opposing end. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112379#sthash.xHDaqVb9.dpuf"

I really appreciate all your input on various prospects as I can't even fake a strong knowledge of the vast majority. But all these reports, even on the lower ranked players, make them all sound like HOFers in the making. Being familiar with how NFL scouts assemble and disseminate data in their reports, I have to wonder if these write-ups are more from a talking head perspective vs. an actual scout's opinion. I'm struck by the stark contrast in the styles.

GO SABRES!!! 

MEIER!!

Our Mooseheads lost in game 7 of round 2 last night in Moncton.

Not bad for a team that ditched just about every veteran and is in a rebuild .. yes a rebuild, not even 2 years after winning the Memorial Cup.

You mean the Mooseheads tried to tank and the players and coaches didn't play along? Oh the shame!

GO SABRES!!!

I really appreciate all your input on various prospects as I can't even fake a strong knowledge of the vast majority. But all these reports, even on the lower ranked players, make them all sound like HOFers in the making. Being familiar with how NFL scouts assemble and disseminate data in their reports, I have to wonder if these write-ups are more from a talking head perspective vs. an actual scout's opinion. I'm struck by the stark contrast in the styles.

I've noticed that. Either the scouting reports are written by agents or the scouts are trying to be "nice" unless there's a glaring issue with the kids play. My guess it's the latter with the expectation that the reader understands that if they're comparing someone ranked #3 and #20, #20 may have the same attributes as #3 but #3 is just better. A little fleeter of foot, better hands, etc.

I've noticed that. Either the scouting reports are written by agents or the scouts are trying to be "nice" unless there's a glaring issue with the kids play. My guess it's the latter with the expectation that the reader understands that if they're comparing someone ranked #3 and #20, #20 may have the same attributes as #3 but #3 is just better. A little fleeter of foot, better hands, etc.

But in the NFL scouting reports, there is almost always a number of negatives, even with top 15 picks. Those tell me more than the rainbows and sunshine scouting reports we see in the NHL.

Some scouting reports are all roses and sunshine but others discuss players weaknesses.  I find the weaknesses to be more important than the strengths.  The thing with the reports from hockey that I notice is the type of language.  So some players will be listed as exceptional skaters versus some guys are good skaters.  Some have good top end speed while others have excellent top end speed.  One reason I have posted some of the Last Word on Sports reports is that I find them to address both sides of the player and to also use similar language so I can differentiate between the good the bad and the ugly.  Granted I do look at other sources but when Zboril's report comes out I may post it.  Let's just say other people have made similar observations about the kid and they are all pointing in the same direction. 

I should add that Buffalo should keep their 2nd 1st rounder and draft LHD Jakub Zboril with it. This kid is exactly the type of player you want in your system.

Sounds like a left handed Pysyk, minus the playing with an edge.

Some scouting reports are all roses and sunshine but others discuss players weaknesses.  I find the weaknesses to be more important than the strengths.  The thing with the reports from hockey that I notice is the type of language.  So some players will be listed as exceptional skaters versus some guys are good skaters.  Some have good top end speed while others have excellent top end speed.  One reason I have posted some of the Last Word on Sports reports is that I find them to address both sides of the player and to also use similar language so I can differentiate between the good the bad and the ugly.  Granted I do look at other sources but when Zboril's report comes out I may post it.  Let's just say other people have made similar observations about the kid and they are all pointing in the same direction. 

Thanks for the clarification Liger. For the record, I trust your scouting opinion just because I know you spend way more time reading the reports than anyone else. Differentiating the good vs. great language is an important point. 

I know they played together in London but I don't think that means much.  I wouldn't want two of my teams top prospects to be under 6' wingers.  Then again, I guess Darcy is with them now so I can see why he would be enamored with that.

I like the sound of Zboril.

Marner is a top 5 pick who has a history of chemistry with another player they currently have on their roster.  He can play center from all the reports I see.  If I were Arizona I would draft Marner and worry about size with their other picks.  Domi and Marner are not afraid to go to the dirty areas which I think is the more important trait. 

Thanks for the clarification Liger. For the record, I trust your scouting opinion just because I know you spend way more time reading the reports than anyone else. Differentiating the good vs. great language is an important point. 

I will also say that players who get certain reports or certain things said about them I track down video if I can.  Some people I don't see and honestly after round 1 I don't try as hard.  

Marner is a top 5 pick who has a history of chemistry with another player they currently have on their roster.  He can play center from all the reports I see.  If I were Arizona I would draft Marner and worry about size with their other picks.  Domi and Marner are not afraid to go to the dirty areas which I think is the more important trait. 

We may have to agree to disagree but when you are picking 3rd overall in a great draft, having played juniors with another player you drafted in a previous year does not affect my draft decision at all.  If Arizona thinks Strome and/or Hanifin have more potential than Marner (which I think atleast Strome does) then that is who you take.  I guess there is the potential to play centre but I don't think he's a natural centre at the next level (reminds me of an Ennis who can play both).  I just philosophically don't believe in having 2 of your best prospects be under 6'.  One?  Sure.  But maybe that's old skool thinking on my part.  Especially when many big boards and scouts seem to prefer the bigger natural Centre.

Big centre, franchise defence man — steps one and two when it comes to building a modern contender.

Yotes have Ekman-Larsson. If it was me, I go Strome. Leafs have neither. I go Strome.

That's assuming Strome, Hanifin and Marner are all considered to be at a similar (first-line, not elite) level.

I see absolutely no way that Arizona takes Marner... It's Strome or Hanifin in my opinion (then Toronto takes the other). Marner is a smallish forward who may move to wing. High potential and flash, but Strome's ceiling is just as high with less flash but way more size. Strome has the size you build around at center.

We may have to agree to disagree but when you are picking 3rd overall in a great draft, having played juniors with another player you drafted in a previous year does not affect my draft decision at all.  If Arizona thinks Strome and/or Hanifin have more potential than Marner (which I think atleast Strome does) then that is who you take.  I guess there is the potential to play centre but I don't think he's a natural centre at the next level (reminds me of an Ennis who can play both).  I just philosophically don't believe in having 2 of your best prospects be under 6'.  One?  Sure.  But maybe that's old skool thinking on my part.  Especially when many big boards and scouts seem to prefer the bigger natural Centre.

I am not simply putting Marner with Arizona because of the London stuff.  Personally Marner is the 3rd best forward in this draft class. If I were Arizona I would trade out of 3rd and get a extra 2nd rounder or something and let Toronto take Strome.  

I know the NHL would never allow this, but they should throw The Yotes a bone and allow Auston Matthews to enter the draft under exceptional status given the fact he missed the cut off by 2 days. I read the HF Boards after the lottery and the prevailing wisdom was not getting McEichel would speed up the Yotes Relocation Process.  Giving them a hometown player would give them the best chance to survive and if this doesn't work they deserve to lose their franchise. 

Big centre, franchise defence man — steps one and two when it comes to building a modern contender.

Yotes have Ekman-Larsson. If it was me, I go Strome. Leafs have neither. I go Strome.

That's assuming Strome, Hanifin and Marner are all considered to be at a similar (first-line, not elite) level.

Leafs have neither? Haven't you heard? Nylander is a feistier Bure and Rielly is the next Lidstrom.*

*real comparisons I've witnessed on Leafs' hfboards

:P

I know the NHL would never allow this, but they should throw The Yotes a bone and allow Auston Matthews to enter the draft under exceptional status given the fact he missed the cut off by 2 days. I read the HF Boards after the lottery and the prevailing wisdom was not getting McEichel would speed up the Yotes Relocation Process. Giving them a hometown player would give them the best chance to survive and if this doesn't work they deserve to lose their franchise.

This might sound nuts but if Matthews were in this draft I think we'd have an interesting debate if him vs Eichel.

Not at all, Matthews broke Kane's NTDP Record this year. I would still go with the franchise center in Eichel however

This confused me. :p So yes, but no?

Or were you just saying I don't sound nuts.

Edited by Hoss

This confused me. :p So yes, but no?

Or were you just saying I don't sound nuts.

No you do not sound nuts at all.

I read Matthews is more a winger

EDIT Elite Prospects has him as a Center. You are correct WC

Edited by BRAWNDO

I read Matthews is more a winger

EDIT Elite Prospects has him as a Center. You are correct WC

Well he could be a Center in Juniors as the best players are but if his style of play suits wing more he could end up an NHL winger. If both are true centers, then there's debate, but if Matthews ends up a winger, no debate IMO