2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Whoops. Missed that. Injuries maybe playing a role here?

Still has no effect on the center situation. Has Samson shown any effort or dedication issues?

To me it's not about Samson's effort or dedication but all about not standing out to earn an extended stay. I like the kid and he was the player I wanted in the 2014 draft but I thought Grigs played pretty well in the preseason and stood out more than Sam did. If you want to reward hard work than I think Grigs deserved it. I like what Grigs has done and have no problem him getting sent down. Play a ton and put him in a lot of situations. I get what Nolan and the Sabres are doing with Reinhart but I could see how a player could be upset not making the team when I thought he had played himself into a spot. Problem with Grigs thinking is that he feels he can make this squad but I'm sure their thinking is yeah you can make it but we want u as a 1-2 center not a 3-4 one. That's just my guess.

I'm aware, and I may be guilty of going PA-on-Pegula with this, but when a guy mentions work and honest effort and heart every time he's in front of a mic, then that should be pretty central to any decision. I'm thinking more of Zadorov with this one, but giving a guy his 9 games just because it's an option seems to be a pretty weak reason to sidestep a core tenet of somebody's coaching philosophy. I think we can agree that due to numbers it would take a modern miracle for Zadorov to make the team, and many would agree he hasn't come close to earning it, so why is he here? What gives?

Edit: something about "guys have to work hard and earn it" followed with an implied "...and have a favorable contract situation" just doesn't jive with me from a coach with Nolan's reputation. Maybe all I really want is Nolan to tone down the rhetoric when he knows the politics of it all also plays a role? I think that might be it.

Why was it only about politics? Sam worked just as hard as Grigo and produced about as much.

Grigo stood out a ton because of his improvement. Reinhart because he didn't light the world on fire.

But how much of that factored into our perception of who "earned it" and how many unseen things did Nolan see that factored into his?

yes like one month ago

Nolan did say he was not taking Traverse city into account.

I think one of the things with Nikita, and maybe with Samson as well, is that the organization thinks the NHL may be better for them than juniors. Neither is really being challenged down there, nor playing with Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges.

Edited by dudacek

To me it's not about Samson's effort or dedication but all about not standing out to earn an extended stay. I like the kid and he was the player I wanted in the 2014 draft but I thought Grigs played pretty well in the preseason and stood out more than Sam did. If you want to reward hard work than I think Grigs deserved it. I like what Grigs has done and have no problem him getting sent down. Play a ton and put him in a lot of situations. I get what Nolan and the Sabres are doing with Reinhart but I could see how a player could be upset not making the team when I thought he had played himself into a spot. Problem with Grigs thinking is that he feels he can make this squad but I'm sure their thinking is yeah you can make it but we want u as a 1-2 center not a 3-4 one. That's just my guess.

First: Grigorenko had one assist more than Samson, and a far worse +/- (for whatever that's worth). It took a few games for Samson to get used to the NHL, but I'm not certain that Grigorenko had the hands down better camp that others are promoting. Nolan looks at a lot more than just shots and goals.

to the bold: Exactly, Mikhail needed to outplay Ennis and Reinhart. The #3C spot is set, probably for the next 10 years. and he's not the guy you want playing 7 minutes a night with the fourth liners. (it should also be noted that #8 scored as many goals as Grigs.)

Also important to this discussion is that the roster is not completely in Nolan's control. GMTM is certainly going to take waivers and contract status and ease of recall into account, in addition to effort and effectiveness. That's his job.

Random thought: I see this team selling big time at the deadline, obviously, but I would not be shocked to see a trade or two to "add" near the deadline, too. Next year's UFA class is terrible, and GMTM will want to bring in some players to make this team more competitive in 2015-16. It'll have to happen through trades but some guys might not be available after the deadline.

Would say it's a shame he got sent down, but IMHO he didn't show more than Ennis and there was no possible way that Sam doesn't get 9 games. I'd rather he play 1st line minutes in Ra-cha-cha than 4th line & pp in Buffalo.

Would not be surprised to see Sam down @ the end of 9 and Grigs taking that spot. He seems to be maturing; let's see how he plays the 1st 3 weeks in the A and hope he earns the callup.

IMHO it'd be a waste playing him on a checking or energy line. And these guys don't have enough good wingers at present to have 3 offensively solid lines. Hopefully in a year or 2 they can replicate the Kings / Bruins sort of model.

Actually, I see the most good coming out of this scenario.

Samson gets a 9 game taste of life in the show, Grigo one last taste of life on a bus.

Samson returns to juniors with a month to prepare for Worlds.

Grigo comes up to Buffalo knowing the distance back to Rochester is figuratively and literally not that far.

Random thought: I see this team selling big time at the deadline, obviously, but I would not be shocked to see a trade or two to "add" near the deadline, too. Next year's UFA class is terrible, and GMTM will want to bring in some players to make this team more competitive in 2015-16. It'll have to happen through trades but some guys might not be available after the deadline.

More likely at the draft. At some point he is going to have to come off some of these picks/prospects for seasoned players. Especially if we unload Stafford/Stewart.

We get one of the big boys and the rebuild is over we start trying to win in 15/16. We don't get one of them and I think we continue the rebuild mindset a little longer.

More likely at the draft. At some point he is going to have to come off some of these picks/prospects for seasoned players. Especially if we unload Stafford/Stewart.

We get one of the big boys and the rebuild is over we start trying to win in 15/16. We don't get one of them and I think we continue the rebuild mindset a little longer.

Yep.

There is coming a point where more draft picks won't do the Sabres a heckofalotofgood.

They need to find the right vets.

Edited by X. Benedict

McCabe's locker stall is gone. Sounds like the two fringe players who played their hearts out and earned a spot both got sent down. Both could just be waiting on a 9-game stint to end.

I can understand taking down the nameplate, but removing his whole stall seems a little extreme. Hope he takes it well.

I can understand taking down the nameplate, but removing his whole stall seems a little extreme. Hope he takes it well.

They're shipping it down to Rochester with him, where it'll be installed in the Amerks room. They hope it'll serve as inspiration for him to work hard so they can ship it back to Buffalo soon.

And what are we selling at the deadline?

McCabe's locker stall is gone. Sounds like the two fringe players who played their hearts out and earned a spot both got sent down. Both could just be waiting on a 9-game stint to end.

The incessant beating of this drum -- especially when, like TBPhD, you could not possibly know whether they indeed earned spots -- is getting tiresome.

The incessant beating of this drum -- especially when, like TBPhD, you could not possibly know whether they indeed earned spots -- is getting tiresome.

Equally tiresome is the assertion that because we have incomplete information we can't put together a reasonable judgment. We literally never have full information on what and why sports teams think/do things, so if that is the standard by which to make observations and develop an opinion, SDS should just shut the board down. Even watching games on TV we don't see the entirety of play, but I don't see you telling people to pipe down in GDTs when they criticize a player.

Equally tiresome is the assertion that because we have incomplete information we can't put together a reasonable judgment. We literally never have full information on what and why sports teams think/do things, so if that is the standard by which to make observations and develop an opinion, SDS should just shut the board down. Even watching games on TV we don't see the entirety of play, but I don't see you telling people to pipe down in GDTs when they criticize a player.

We must know everything for an opinion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.