Moulson- Hodgson- Stewart

Girgensons- Reinhart- Gionta

Larsson/Deslaurier- McCormick- Kaleta

Gorges- Myers

Meszaros- Ristolainen

Benoit- Pysyk

7th - Weber

EXplanation:

Gorges-Myer --good balance between offence and defense. allows Myers to move the puck and take more chances offensively

Meszaros-Risto gives Risto a veteran to learn from. gives a chance for Risto to improve and mature his game

Benoit/ Pysyk I just thought this sounded right

Foligno.Ennis-Stafford- if Foligno is healthy-- there is a lot of potential chemistry with this line which we have seen before

Moulson-Hodgson- Stewart Gives Hodgson two snipers to work with (which he so desperately needed last year.)

Girgensons- Reinhart- Gionta - Girgensons would be a GREAT young motivater with his "compete" to guide young Samson. Gionta would be a supreme leader to guide Samson to the big leagues. and bring his confidence up and elevate his game. I could also see Gionta inspire Samson in terms of leadership, which I think, would rub off on him.

Finally,

Deslaurier/Larsson- McCormick- Kaleta

I think this would be a solid fourth line, if this line ever materializes

I personally hope Kaleta is on the opening roster, he deserves it more than anyone. Name one single player on the team who has a higher "compete" level than him (Girgensons being an exception)

If I were the coach:

Foligno (if completely healthy)-Ennis-Stafford

Moulson- Hodgson- Stewart

Girgensons- Reinhart- Gionta

Larsson/Deslaurier- McCormick- Kaleta

Gorges- Myers

Meszaros- Ristolainen

Benoit- Pysyk

7th - Weber

EXplanation:

Gorges-Myer --good balance between offence and defense. allows Myers to move the puck and take more chances offensively

Meszaros-Risto gives Risto a veteran to learn from. gives a chance for Risto to improve and mature his game

Benoit/ Pysyk I just thought this sounded right

Foligno.Ennis-Stafford- if Foligno is healthy-- there is a lot of potential chemistry with this line which we have seen before

Moulson-Hodgson- Stewart Gives Hodgson two snipers to work with (which he so desperately needed last year.)

Girgensons- Reinhart- Gionta - Girgensons would be a GREAT young motivater with his "compete" to guide young Samson. Gionta would be a supreme leader to guide Samson to the big leagues. and bring his confidence up and elevate his game. I could also see Gionta inspire Samson in terms of leadership, which I think, would rub off on him.

Finally,

Deslaurier/Larsson- McCormick- Kaleta

I think this would be a solid fourth line, if this line ever materializes

I personally hope Kaleta is on the opening roster, he deserves it more than anyone. Name one single player on the team who has a higher "compete" level than him (Girgensons being an exception)

I like those line and the battle for the 3rd and 4th line roster spots will be an interesting one to keep our eyes on

I want Girgensons to play center all season. Don't screw around and play him on the wing again. He is going to be the Sabres 3rd line center for 10+ years. The sooner he gets accustomed to that role, the better.

I'm not certain his game translates into an NHL center. He may be more adept at playing on the wing.

I'd like that second line if it actually was drawing 2nd line attention from opposing teams. They could actually produce some numbers if there was a line ahead of them drawing in the opposing team's shutdown players. That's where this team needs to get over the next couple years, get enough talent out there to fill out that top 6.

I got that about him to.

And I expect myers to excell with gorges next to him, they have put him in a position to succeed.

Hogdson is done as center.

Based on the opening camp lines, it looks like Hodgson should now be referred to as a LW. He played there to end the season and is starting off this camp in that slot as well.

Girgensons is still working as a center in camp from what it looks like.

Based on the opening camp lines, it looks like Hodgson should now be referred to as a LW. He played there to end the season and is starting off this camp in that slot as well.

Girgensons is still working as a center in camp from what it looks like.

This. CoHo was on the wing at the end of last season and played wing for Canada this summer too. He's not good enough defensively for center.

I'm not certain his game translates into an NHL center. He may be more adept at playing on the wing.

I think he is everything the Sabres need in a 3rd line center. He has size, speed, is a good defensive player, will play the body, and at the same time chip in 15-20 goals and 40-45 points a year. It is a perfect fit to me.

I think he is everything the Sabres need in a 3rd line center. He has size, speed, is a good defensive player, will play the body, and at the same time chip in 15-20 goals and 40-45 points a year. It is a perfect fit to me.

He may be all those things but shouldn't a center be a guy who holds the puck, controls play and distributes accordingly? I'm not certain he's good at any of those.

He may be all those things but shouldn't a center be a guy who holds the puck, controls play and distributes accordingly? I'm not certain he's good at any of those.

I think he is very strong on the puck, and he certainly is developing the ability to control play. He'll never be a playmaker, but that's not what we need him to be.

Also, I think he plays center for as long as Nolan is the coach.

It won't surprise me if Reinhart is sent back to juniors, in which case:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Foligno- Hodgson- Stewart

Deslaurier-Girgensons-Gionta

Flynn- McCormick- Kaleta

And Mitchell or Ellis could be the extra forward to plug into 3rd or 4th lines.

Edited by pastajoe

Whatever happens, this team will be the foundation for the 2015-2016 season. That alone is getting me excited.

Maybe. For the 15-16 season probably. Beyond that? Not really sure.

I have a hard time locating any name that will definitely be on this team opening night tonight and opening night in three years other than Girgensons and Moulson.

Edited by Tankalicious

Maybe. For the 15-16 season probably. Beyond that? Not really sure.

I have a hard time locating any name that will definitely be on this team opening night tonight and opening night in three years other than Girgensons and Moulson.

Reinhart. The kid's getting at least his 9 this year. The odds are hugely in favor of him never playing in juniors again (it would be the first first overall forward to fail to make the jump from juniors in a couple decades.)

Risto. He'll be on the Roster, he's ready, and he'll be here in 3.

Myers. Either he's great and we keep him around a long time, or he's terrible and untradeable due to the contract.

Gorges. HE has a limited NTC, which I'm sure he would invoke to the fullest extent possible to avoid being let go right before we become great.

Hodgson and Ennis are flip of a coin for the 3-year outlook.

Reinhart. The kid's getting at least his 9 this year. The odds are hugely in favor of him never playing in juniors again (it would be the first first overall forward to fail to make the jump from juniors in a couple decades.)

Risto. He'll be on the Roster, he's ready, and he'll be here in 3.

Myers. Either he's great and we keep him around a long time, or he's terrible and untradeable due to the contract.

Gorges. HE has a limited NTC, which I'm sure he would invoke to the fullest extent possible to avoid being let go right before we become great.

Hodgson and Ennis are flip of a coin for the 3-year outlook.

Yea. None of those guys are locks to both be on the team now and later. Risto is a good bet. Reinhart will likely be here in three years. Neither are locks for the roster.

Yea. None of those guys are locks to both be on the team now and later. Risto is a good bet. Reinhart will likely be here in three years. Neither are locks for the roster.

Samson is a lock. Moulson is more likely to have a career ending injury in the preseason than Reinhart is to get sent back to Juniors before the end of October.

I agree with the emotional guy.

I would be very surprised if Reinhart does not play the entire season for the Sabres ... the NHL Sabres, that is.

If the Panthers where not so in need of a potential stud defender Samson would have likely been the first overall selection. First forwards taken in any draft are not going to be playing anywhere other than in the NHL city they are drafted in. It has happened that they don't, but like our friend says above it very rarely happens.

Many people are going to be surprised when this team makes the playoffs. Good goal-tending, a veteran defense corp and a mix of high-end rookie talent and veterans gives hope going into the 2014 season. It all depends on veterans staying healthy and a certain 2nd overall pick playing like the most talented player on the draft.

They may not be the most talented team in the Conference, if you take a close look at the roster, they have enough talent in the right positions to have an effective power play and an effective penalty kill. Specialty teams in hockey are equivalent to a running game in football. Run and stop the run effectively and you will always be in the game. Same with specialty units in hockey. Take advantage of your opportunities and keep opponents teams power play off the board and you will be in a lot of games.

It's not as crazy as it may sound considering the year they just came off of.

Edited by DeLuca1967

Many people are going to be surprised when this team makes the playoffs. Good goal-tending, a veteran defense corp and a mix of high-end rookie talent and veterans gives hope going into the 2014 season. It all depends on veterans staying healthy and a certain #4 overall pick playing like the most talented player on the draft.

They may not be the most talented team in the Conference, if you take a close look at the roster, they have enough talent in the right positions to have an effective power play and an effective penalty kill. Specialty teams in hockey are equivalent to a running game in football. Run and stop the run effectively and you will always be in the game. Same with specialty units in hockey. Take advantage of your opportunities and keep opponents teams power play off the board and you will be in a lot of games.

It's not as crazy as it may sound considering the year they just came off of.

Awesome. But who's this #4 overall pick?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.