2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Samson is a lock. Moulson is more likely to have a career ending injury in the preseason than Reinhart is to get sent back to Juniors before the end of October.

Samson is far from a lock. I expect him to, but it's no lock.

The second part is just stupid.

Yeah. Have the Sabres ever picked 4th overall? A quick Google says no.

Maybe he means 2nd overall pick?

They haven't. Sabres had never picked 2, 3 or 4 prior to Reinhart.

Samson is far from a lock. I expect him to, but it's no lock.

The second part is just stupid.

That second part is backed up by evidence. Your position is a hunch.

The odds of a player suffering a career ending injury are higher than the odds of the first forward returning to juniors because players do get hurt, but the first forward NEVER returns to juniors. Samson is a lock, or this draft was not only weak in depth, but weak at the top like no draft in decades.

Many people are going to be surprised when this team makes the playoffs. Good goal-tending, a veteran defense corp and a mix of high-end rookie talent and veterans gives hope going into the 2014 season. It all depends on veterans staying healthy and a certain 2nd overall pick playing like the most talented player on the draft.

They may not be the most talented team in the Conference, if you take a close look at the roster, they have enough talent in the right positions to have an effective power play and an effective penalty kill. Specialty teams in hockey are equivalent to a running game in football. Run and stop the run effectively and you will always be in the game. Same with specialty units in hockey. Take advantage of your opportunities and keep opponents teams power play off the board and you will be in a lot of games.

It's not as crazy as it may sound considering the year they just came off of.

Love this. Count me in. :beer:

I'd the most questionable portion of that post is the goaltending part. There are wY too many question marks with the current tandem. They may show up, but it's not very likely.

Why is this? We're talking about a couple of 26 year olds. Miller was 26 when he established himself. IMO, the chances are very high that one of these kids steps it up to that next level. I'm excited about the Sabres' goaltending going into the season. Sure, there is always a chance of it ending up as a tire fire, that to me is "unlikely."

Many people are going to be surprised when this team makes the playoffs. Good goal-tending, a veteran defense corp and a mix of high-end rookie talent and veterans gives hope going into the 2014 season. It all depends on veterans staying healthy and a certain 2nd overall pick playing like the most talented player on the draft.

They may not be the most talented team in the Conference, if you take a close look at the roster, they have enough talent in the right positions to have an effective power play and an effective penalty kill. Specialty teams in hockey are equivalent to a running game in football. Run and stop the run effectively and you will always be in the game. Same with specialty units in hockey. Take advantage of your opportunities and keep opponents teams power play off the board and you will be in a lot of games.

I will be surprised. I don't think the talent is there. But I'm certainly rooting for it.

Why is this? We're talking about a couple of 26 year olds. Miller was 26 when he established himself. IMO, the chances are very high that one of these kids steps it up to that next level. I'm excited about the Sabres' goaltending going into the season. Sure, there is always a chance of it ending up as a tire fire, that to me is "unlikely."

Neuvirth can be a beast, if he can remain injury free.

Now i need to find a Grigorenko jersey over here, :P

Put the bottle down, and back away slowly. :lol:

I wish I could be as optimistic. I think 75 points would be a great season for this bunch, but even that is optimistic too IMO.

I'd buy into this if you could explain to me how this team was going to score roughly 50+ more goals this years. We had 157goals last year. The next closest team in the east to make the playoffs was Montreal with 215goals. In the west you had 206 from LA (We aren't going to be LA). So that means to make the playoffs offensively we need about 50-60 more goals this season. Even with Matt Moulson for an entire year, I don't think we make that plateau.

One more thing to add, both teams that made the playoffs with the least # of goals scored, also had positive goal differentials. Buffalo was a -91 goal differential with Ryan Miller playing 2/3 of the year. Food for thought.

Now, now.

He did say that Murray should take the *acorn*.

He would look mighty fine on Samson's wing, no?

We could have a solid 1 - 2 at centre in Reinhart and Grigorenko.

I still say that Grigs will be an excellent #2 centre for the Sabres.

I'm with you, my friend from Belgium.

Now, now.

He did say that Murray should take the *acorn*.

He would look mighty fine on Samson's wing, no?

We could have a solid 1 - 2 at centre in Reinhart and Grigorenko.

I still say that Grigs will be an excellent #2 centre for the Sabres.

I'm with you, my friend from Belgium.

If the centers in 2 years are McDavid, Reinheart, Grigorenko, and Girgensons, how is that a bad thing? If the team has first pick, it will and should take McDavid.

Eichel is a second prize, but there is a big gap between him and McDavid, from what I've read and seen.

If the centers in 2 years are McDavid, Reinheart, Grigorenko, and Girgensons, how is that a bad thing? If the team has first pick, it will and should take McDavid.

Eichel is a second prize, but there is a big gap between him and McDavid, from what I've read and seen.

Agreed on all counts. There's a pretty heft gap between McDavid and Eichel. And then there's a pretty solid gap between Eichel and the next group.

I never said that if the Sabres drafted McDavid and the 4 you listed are our centres it would be a bad thing.

Now 11,

The Sabres had a great centre in #11, right? He was made much better when we drafted #7 and traded for #14, right?

A great winger will make a great centre even better. A great centre is much better with elite wingers for him to dish the puck to. We drafted Reinhart at #2, therefore, it is likely he will be very good and even elite. Eichel will be a very good winger, probably even elite.

I don't think Grigorenko was drafted with the idea that he would become the #3 centre.

I never said that if the Sabres drafted McDavid and the 4 you listed are our centres it would be a bad thing.

Now 11,

The Sabres had a great centre in #11, right? He was made much better when we drafted #7 and traded for #14, right?

A great winger will make a great centre even better. A great centre is much better with elite wingers for him to dish the puck to. We drafted Reinhart at #2, therefore, it is likely he will be very good and even elite. Eichel will be a very good winger, probably even elite.

I don't think Grigorenko was drafted with the idea that he would become the #3 centre.

Except Eichel is a Centre and is projected to be better than Reinhart.

For real. This thread is starting to make me realize how insane all this losing is making our fan base.

Knuckle heads they are. It sucks losing I get that and the most die-hard fan gets it. Unfortunately this team doesn't have Detroit's scouting staff who can find studs in late rounds that blossom into solid players. Darcy started the tear down and it needed to be done. Once it started it's going to take sometime to get this team back to the playoffs. The fanbase needs to understand patience is needed. Most of the kids aren't ready to step in to a mans league and contribute like McKinnon did last year. We all would love to see Reinhart on this team but I don't believe he's ready to make the jump full time. Just because he's a number 2 pick doesn't mean he earns a spot on the roster. Management and Coaching staff stressing patience on these young players so why is their a need to rush them? And end up with what another Grig's situation. We have 5 picks in the top 2 rounds next year to help with the rebuild and who knows if Murray moves Stafford, Stewart and Mezaros at the deadline. No need to rush this rebuild but let them build a contender to compete for the cup but not an also ran. I don't know about you but I'm so sick of being an also ran.

Except Eichel is a Centre and is projected to be better than Reinhart.

All the draft reports I have seen have him listed as a forward.

I think he is a winger that has played centre, or the other way around. Much like Drouin, who is a winger, but has played in Halifax as a centre, as well.

Maybe I'm wrong. I would have Eichel on Reinhart's wing.

Knuckle heads they are. It sucks losing I get that and the most die-hard fan gets it. Unfortunately this team doesn't have Detroit's scouting staff who can find studs in late rounds that blossom into solid players.

Can we stop using rhetoric that's 20 years old that doesn't apply to the league anymore? I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I don't have any sources handy detailing exactly how Detroit got Datsyuk and Zetterberg but it won't happen again. Scouting is more in depth across the board. Today fans can tell you about all the first round prospects in any given draft, back then fans barely knew there was a draft.

Can we stop using rhetoric that's 20 years old that doesn't apply to the league anymore? I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I don't have any sources handy detailing exactly how Detroit got Datsyuk and Zetterberg but it won't happen again. Scouting is more in depth across the board. Today fans can tell you about all the first round prospects in any given draft, back then fans barely knew there was a draft.

On top of that, the Sabres have found (Ryan Miller) and will continue to find studs in late rounds; every team does.

Edited by Eleven

All the draft reports I have seen have him listed as a forward.

I think he is a winger that has played centre, or the other way around. Much like Drouin, who is a winger, but has played in Halifax as a centre, as well.

Maybe I'm wrong. I would have Eichel on Reinhart's wing.

Eichel is a center, is projected to be a center. He is 9.8 to McDavid's 10 on the 18yr old talent scale.

I would have Reinhart on a completely different line than Eichel is he were a Sabre. Reinhart is puck distribution which means he needs the puck. Eichel is puck distribution + shooting + stick handling + speed + grit so he also needs the puck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.