2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Eichel is a center, is projected to be a center. He is 9.8 to McDavid's 10 on the 18yr old talent scale.

I would have Reinhart on a completely different line than Eichel is he were a Sabre. Reinhart is puck distribution which means he needs the puck. Eichel is puck distribution + shooting + stick handling + speed + grit so he also needs the puck.

Well done.

Eichel is a center, is projected to be a center. He is 9.8 to McDavid's 10 on the 18yr old talent scale.

I would have Reinhart on a completely different line than Eichel is he were a Sabre. Reinhart is puck distribution which means he needs the puck. Eichel is puck distribution + shooting + stick handling + speed + grit so he also needs the puck.

This

I have a feeling Eichel is going to spend his entire career proving he should have been the first overall pick

I will say this right now. Jack Eichel, if he became a Sabre today, is better than Sam Reinhart. Jack Eichel has the possibility, albeit small, to actually overtake McDavid as the #1 prospect.

First part: yes. Second part: no (pending career threatening injury).

Yep. The whole 9.8:10 thing is just wrong. No way. Maybe 9:10?

I feel like it's unfair to even put McDavid on any scale. He's just unbelievable. If Eichel isn't in this draft then the next guy is a 6/7 to McDavid's 10. And that's no insult because the guys behind McEichel are still very talented. What a crazy good draft.

I feel like it's unfair to even put McDavid on any scale. He's just unbelievable. If Eichel isn't in this draft then the next guy is a 6/7 to McDavid's 10. And that's no insult because the guys behind McEichel are still very talented. What a crazy good draft.

Darcy. My hero. :)

There is one scenario in which I agree to the statue:

Sabres finish last and Islanders win the lotto.

If this happens. I will be standing out in front of the FNC collecting funds for the statue myself.

What if the Islanders finish last and the Sabres win the lottery?

Many people are going to be surprised when this team makes the playoffs. Good goal-tending, a veteran defense corp and a mix of high-end rookie talent and veterans gives hope going into the 2014 season. It all depends on veterans staying healthy and a certain 2nd overall pick playing like the most talented player on the draft.

They may not be the most talented team in the Conference, if you take a close look at the roster, they have enough talent in the right positions to have an effective power play and an effective penalty kill. Specialty teams in hockey are equivalent to a running game in football. Run and stop the run effectively and you will always be in the game. Same with specialty units in hockey. Take advantage of your opportunities and keep opponents teams power play off the board and you will be in a lot of games.

It's not as crazy as it may sound considering the year they just came off of.

I certainly hope not. I don't want the Sabres to compete for the final playoff spot, make it and lose in 4 games. That could hinder the rebuild. The Sabres need top 3 talent. Outside of Reinhart and possibly Grigorenko there is no player in the system that has shown to have top 3 talent. The Sabres have a few players that are projected to be 2nd line and a bunch of players that are projected to be 3rd line players. McEichel hopefully would be a top line player who can score when the team desperately needs a goal.

What is the difference between making the playoffs this year and drafting first or second, 20 wins? I'll take McEichel, give up the 20 wins for the possibility to draft the next "generational" player that can increase the teams chances of being good for many years.

First part: yes. Second part: no (pending career threatening injury).

Yep. The whole 9.8:10 thing is just wrong. No way. Maybe 9:10?

I disagree with just about all of this. Jack Eichel is actually quite close McDavid. Their styles are different but their production and ability to control games are similar. I have watched video of both and Jack Eichel is a force in his own right.

To the last part about the next guy being a 6/7 after the McDavid/Eichel... Noah Hanafin is not a level 7 talent level. He is much better and if you think the next guy in this draft is down that much talent you haven't been paying attention. This draft has guys ranked 10, 9, 8, and so on down on the talent scale. Outside of the top guy debate there are probably going to be 3 players right at the 9 level and could be as many as 5 players outside of McEichel ranked at that level. Pavel Zacha, Hanafin, Barzal, Konetcny... all good players with a lot to prove this season.

Should be fun to see it unfold.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't read what I said.

I am going to assume that you meant something else than what you wrote then. You said "If Eichel isn't in this draft then the next guy is a 6/7 to McDavid's 10. And that's no insult because the guys behind McEichel are still very talented"

So to me that reads the guys behind McDavid, outside of Eichel you see is 6/7 on the scale. Or you are using some random changing scale which makes absolutely no sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.