Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

It appears that, for now, I am retired.  Sigh.  Life gets in the way.... oh well.

I retired in my early 30's when knee pain from Friday night games didn't go away until Thursday.  Hurting all week just wasn't worth it anymore.

Fortunately, coaching kids started shortly after.

I retired in my early 30's when knee pain from Friday night games didn't go away until Thursday.  Hurting all week just wasn't worth it anymore.

We've, I've been lucky so far... knees okay... get some hip pain but seems to be more a stretching thing that set in due some idiotic yoga I tried...  It comes and goes.  Hockey doesn't seem to bother it either way.  Just sleeping on my right side.  Can't complain.  We had a guy skating into his late 60s, but wasn't feeling well after a game and was diagnosed with an aortic dissection.  One more hit and he was done...  he was lucky... but was even more disappointed he couldn't play hockey anymore.  At least you can play with your kids occasionally.

Edited by North Buffalo

Me too.

The same injury that ended Bobby Orr's career ended mine at about 30.  Needless to say, Orr's career amounted to a lot more than mine.

Playing or coaching?

Yea.  In my case it's not the body.  Sadly I am not even coaching next year... I get to enjoy the slow pace of being a parent on the sideline.  It's probably for the best though.  

I'm sure I will get back on the ice again at some point... but this year is not looking good.

I live in Brooklyn and play at Chelsea Piers in Manhatton, Aviator at Floyd Bennet Park and also Prospect Park's open hockey & stick and puck sessions when the rink is open which is my favorite because I live so close.

Started playing ice hockey two years ago (the tank team drove me to take the ice myself, i'd probably hate hockey if i didn't start playing).

We have probably played together. I have moved away from Brooklyn since but I was in the first group to have ice time at Lakeside in Prospect Park. I lived right on the park too.

I noticed that in a later post you mentioned that you go to City Ice Pavilion for morning skates. I played there for years too. I was a Great Scottsmen. I Still play with them when I happen to be back in town on Saturday nights.

Just bought tickets for the Isles home opener against Buffalo. Pretty psyched.

Edited by Tom Backyard

Yea.  In my case it's not the body.  Sadly I am not even coaching next year... I get to enjoy the slow pace of being a parent on the sideline.  It's probably for the best though.  

I'm sure I will get back on the ice again at some point... but this year is not looking good.

Bummer.

Looks like I'll be coaching this season even though my eligible son will be living 6 hours away. Do not envy you the withdrawl.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So now I hear about The Never Ever League at the Iceplex in Rochester. Would have been perfect for me. Exactly what I was looking for and not much longer a drive than to Buffalo.

http://www.billgraysiceplex.com/neverever.html

I guess I would have mentioned it if I thought you wanted to drive to Rochester :lol:

For the record, I discovered that it looks like Performax Hockey in Buffalo offers teaching leagues for new players in a similar manner. Looks like the next session is January at Canalside?

https://www.performaxsports.com/aihp-100/

Edited by d4rksabre

I guess I would have mentioned it if I thought you wanted to drive to Rochester :lol:

For the record, I discovered that it looks like Performax Hockey in Buffalo offers teaching leagues for new players in a similar manner. Looks like the next session is January at Canalside?

https://www.performaxsports.com/aihp-100/

That sounds pretty hardcore and serious. Although it says no experience is required, I bet it attracts people who are already decent and want to get better. Never Ever, in theory anyway, is for the straight-up newbie. It also just sounds fun, whereas the Performax sounds a little jocky, for lack of a better word.

That sounds pretty hardcore and serious. Although it says no experience is required, I bet it attracts people who are already decent and want to get better. Never Ever, in theory anyway, is for the straight-up newbie. It also just sounds fun, whereas the Performax sounds a little jocky, for lack of a better word.

I think you're completely correct in your assessment. 

The Never Ever League is very much for those who have never played.  Having coached out of that rink last year and played there as well I have seen plenty of the Never Ever League when its on the ice.  I think it's great that they put it together.

Here's another... not QUITE as Never Ever.. but I think it still gets a lot of first timers.

http://www.paullouisarena.com/content/adult-hockey-league

Something to keep in mind with the Never Ever League is that a lot of times it's about building a group of people to play with as much as it is about learning to play. They want you to make friends in the local scene so you come back as a D league team and keep playing. That's a big part of getting ice time and developing your game. Be prepared for more driving to Rochester even after the Never Ever league is done with. 

The Never Ever League is very much for those who have never played.  Having coached out of that rink last year and played there as well I have seen plenty of the Never Ever League when its on the ice.  I think it's great that they put it together.

Here's another... not QUITE as Never Ever.. but I think it still gets a lot of first timers.

http://www.paullouisarena.com/content/adult-hockey-league

Thanks. I think I'm an F haha.

Something to keep in mind with the Never Ever League is that a lot of times it's about building a group of people to play with as much as it is about learning to play. They want you to make friends in the local scene so you come back as a D league team and keep playing. That's a big part of getting ice time and developing your game. Be prepared for more driving to Rochester even after the Never Ever league is done with.

Thanks. It's unlikely I'm going to do it. I'd have to buy equipment again, and it would be a lot of driving. I kind of checked off "play hockey" on my bucket list and moved on. I can't say I'm not tempted though.

Thanks. I think I'm an F haha.

Thanks. It's unlikely I'm going to do it. I'd have to buy equipment again, and it would be a lot of driving. I kind of checked off "play hockey" on my bucket list and moved on. I can't say I'm not tempted though.

Oh.. I thought that was just your nickname on the forum :P

I've not been on the ice in quite some time now.  I'm kind of sad about it.  I keep wondering when I call it quits.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone around Buffalo got weeknight ice and looking for a skater? I don't really want to play league games, but if you've got guys who rent ice just to play then that's what I'm all about. I'm not quite ready to jump back into goalie yet but I want to try getting back on the ice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody ever used a Sparx skate sharpener?  I'm intrigued by the concept.  I'm aware they are more expensive than a used traditional style sharpener but those also require skills that I do not currently have.

They're supposed to be pretty good. 

That said, learning to sharpen your own skates isn't really that hard. An afternoon of practice when I worked at a pro shop was all it took to get me going. Buy a pair of used skates from the local used sporting goods store and practice on those blades. Mess them up as much as you want.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about what to do.  I also like that it is small enough to bring on trips.  I don't like that I'm then beholden unto them for supplies. They make portable versions of regular machines but they cost twice as much as the Sparx unit.

I've only heard good things about the Sparx, but I've never used one. I would be partial to the flexibility and the customer service of established skate sharpener companies like Blademaster, but I understand that may not be a need for you. 

If you're only sharpening your own skates and maybe your kid's skates every few weeks then the Sparx is probably fine for you. I've heard that they struggle with goalie skates over size 10, so keep that in mind if that's something you think you might encounter. 

I'm at the ancient age of almost 58 although I tell my hockey buddies I'm 37...and some of them believe it because I look younger.  I was a street hockey only player until I was 45 and then learned how to rollerblade (it wasn't easy and I'm still learning) with the help of a coach who traded lessons for putting my progress on his website...

http://coachchic.com/category/skills/in-line_roller-hockey/page/20/

(Articles about me are listed here but PM me if you want the username/PW in order to read the whole thing)

Now I play roller hockey 1-2x a week. Court time is easy; you don't have to travel 50,000 miles at 3 in the morning. You can practice easily on your own in parking lots, tennis courts etc. Many ice hockey players crosstrain with roller.I'm not going to start ice at this stage but roller is a blast once you learn how to skate. I'm in pickup leagues only, play ALL YEAR LONG (every year) and look forward to it each and every time. 

American Indoor St. Hockey in West Seneca is Buffalo's roller hockey place but I'm sure there are others.

Edited by Marvelo

I'm at the ancient age of almost 58 although I tell my hockey buddies I'm 37...and some of them believe it because I look younger.  I was a street hockey only player until I was 45 and then learned how to rollerblade (it wasn't easy and I'm still learning) with the help of a coach who traded lessons for putting my progress on his website...

http://coachchic.com/category/skills/in-line_roller-hockey/page/20/

(Articles about me are listed here but PM me if you want the username/PW in order to read the whole thing)

Now I play roller hockey 1-2x a week. Court time is easy; you don't have to travel 50,000 miles at 3 in the morning. You can practice easily on your own in parking lots, tennis courts etc. Many ice hockey players crosstrain with roller.I'm not going to start ice at this stage but roller is a blast once you learn how to skate. I'm in pickup leagues only, play ALL YEAR LONG (every year) and look forward to it each and every time. 

American Indoor St. Hockey in West Seneca is Buffalo's roller hockey place but I'm sure there are others.

. Was talking to a guy who said roller blading can screw up your ice skating. Is that true. He did say there were a new type of skates, expensive, but more closely mimics ice skating... something about having a rocker built in.

. Was talking to a guy who said roller blading can screw up your ice skating. Is that true. He did say there were a new type of skates, expensive, but more closely mimics ice skating... something about having a rocker built in.

I haven't heard that and plenty of guys crosstrain in the summer on wheels...I wouldn't know about screwing up your skating stride but I don't ice skate. They are different and you have to learn the differences. Stopping is one of them. Changing and cleaning wheels and rotors is another. There will be new things to learn, like what wheels to use for what body type and what skating surface. For a rocker you put two bigger wheels in the back and two smaller ones up front. I use 80mm in the back and 76mm up front. You can get a good used pair of rollerblades to start on craigslist or ebay. Mission and Bauer come to mind. Research each model. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.