Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

First game of the season: Got my stick jammed in the boards and impaled myself on it. Left ribs are all bruised up

Second game of the season: blocked a shot, no biggie. The thing is, the shot hit me direct center 1/2 inch above my belly button. My pants don't go up that high, and my shoulders don't come down that low. Result, the worst pink belly welt I've ever had.

Lets see what game three has in store for me.

Edited by ubkev

First game of the season: Got my stick jammed in the boards and impaled myself on it. Left ribs are all bruised up

Second game of the season: blocked a shot, no biggie. The thing is, the shot hit me direct center 1/2 inch above my belly button. My pants don't go up that high, and my shoulders don't come down that low. Result, the worst pink belly welt I've ever had.

Oh you're gonna take a high stick to the neck for sure.

God I sucked tonight.  Went skiing yesterday at Jiminey Peak and at my  age, I play like the Sabres... can't do two strenous things on consecutive days.    My femoral biceps are in rigor.  Didn't help that I ran out of my contacts and had to play with my glasses tonight.  Peripheral vision was way off....  Had about a period in me and that was it.  Sigh was on the ice for 2 outta the three goals against.  Worst game in a long time...  

What's the adult hockey scene like in Buffalo? Do all the rinks offer stick & puck sessions and also open hockey? Where do you guys get practice time in? I have a friend back home that is interested in getting started and I'd like to give him some advice of where to go get ice time.

What about lower division leagues, which rinks offer those?

Mustache do you play? and where, right now play up in Brewster.... northern Westchester.

I live in Brooklyn and play at Chelsea Piers in Manhatton, Aviator at Floyd Bennet Park and also Prospect Park's open hockey & stick and puck sessions when the rink is open which is my favorite because I live so close.

Started playing ice hockey two years ago (the tank team drove me to take the ice myself, i'd probably hate hockey if i didn't start playing).

What's the adult hockey scene like in Buffalo? Do all the rinks offer stick & puck sessions and also open hockey? Where do you guys get practice time in? I have a friend back home that is interested in getting started and I'd like to give him some advice of where to go get ice time.

What about lower division leagues, which rinks offer those?

I'd also love to know where strict stick and puck/skate and shoot sessions are held without a game breaking out. The North Buffalo Rink allows games during skate and shoot. Holiday and Leisure Rinks' site says scrimmages WILL occur during skate and shoots. HarborCenter appears to have only public skates and open hockey. The rink at Buff State appears to have pickup hockey only. It's really frustrating for the true beginner, but you can see the rinks' point of view. When there's one person who wants to work on skills and 12 people who want to play hockey, what are they going to do?

The North Buffalo Rink had a beginners clinic as of last year. So did the arena in Jamestown. Leisure Rinks has one, too. You should make sure everyone agrees on the definition of beginner. If you can run from the mat onto the ice, grab a puck, stickhandle in on goal and put it away, you're not a beginner and you shouldn't be there. But that's more the person the clinic is designed for, not the person who needs to be shown to hold the stick by the handle, not the blade, and how to get in a proper hockey stance.

One final suggestion would be Anytime Hockey. It claims to hook players up with games at their skill level. I kind of doubt that any games are held for true beginners though.

Not sure about up there, but early morning stick and puck sessions tend to be less pick up game oriented.

Been there, haven't done that (gotten to practice) lol. I guess I don't understand not having truth in advertising. Why advertise a "skate and shoot"? Why not call it drop-in or open or pickup hockey?

Edited by PASabreFan

I'd also love to know where strict stick and puck/skate and shoot sessions are held without a game breaking out. The North Buffalo Rink allows games during skate and shoot. Holiday and Leisure Rinks' site says scrimmages WILL occur during skate and shoots. HarborCenter appears to have only public skates and open hockey. The rink at Buff State appears to have pickup hockey only. It's really frustrating for the true beginner, but you can see the rinks' point of view. When there's one person who wants to work on skills and 12 people who want to play hockey, what are they going to do?

The North Buffalo Rink had a beginners clinic as of last year. So did the arena in Jamestown. Leisure Rinks has one, too. You should make sure everyone agrees on the definition of beginner. If you can run from the mat onto the ice, grab a puck, stickhandle in on goal and put it away, you're not a beginner and you shouldn't be there. But that's more the person the clinic is designed for, not the person who needs to be shown to hold the stick by the handle, not the blade, and how to get in a proper hockey stance.

One final suggestion would be Anytime Hockey. It claims to hook players up with games at their skill level. I kind of doubt that any games are held for true beginners though.

Yeah, they're not. Trust me. The Lower/Beginner skates are perfectly competitive for someone like me who is more Intermediate level. 

The hunger to get on the ice in the Buffalo hockey market seems to put downward pressure on everyone, if that makes sense.

I absolutely agree with you. I wish I knew the market better. I think the weekends might offer more opportunities, but since I'm not here on the weekends yet, I have no ability to explore. 

Plus I haven't been skating with Anytime because the weather has just been too warm for the ice at Riverworks. This winter sucks for hockey. 

Edited by d4rksabre

Beginning to play hockey at an older age is tough because the concept of organized practices pretty much does not exist. For me, I'd wake up super early so I could be out on the ice at a rink in long island city at 7am where I'd be the only one on the ice. I then was able to get onto a team in a league where I was woefully outclassed and felt like an embarrassment every time i stepped on the ice. If I had a chance to get on the ice I'd jump at it because that's the only way to get better.

The more I played the more I was able to start thinking about the little things (keep you legs moving, stick on the ice, lift your head and look to make a pass before throwing the puck away, keep your knees bent, be vocal on the ice, positioning, etc). There's so many simple little things you can do to make yourself a better player. When you're starting out though it feels like things are moving so fast and you're lucky to do any of the above much less not fall over when trying to turn.

These days I'm decent, but not good. I love the sport so much and now that I've moved into my 30's hockey has replaced my social life (I can't deal with hangovers from staying out drinking all the time).

Best decision of my adult life.

Pulled a Patrick Kaleta and caught a slapshot last night.

Pulled an anti-Kaleta by not breaking anything

• 6 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.