Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

This team might make the playoffs but it doesn't mean jack squat.

It will mean a great deal, even if we were to lose the playoff opener in spectacular fashion.

We're at a metaphysical divide -- not unlike the one I periodically reach with PA on the subject of Pegula not being an ideal owner.

And, hey - speaking of periods. :P

This team is only making the playoffs if they get lucky and finish 7-9 and all the stars align.

And the only way that happens is at the expense of the Patriots. Please let my scenario play out. I sure as hell will take it give what I had to deal with living in that town for so long.

It will mean a great deal, even if we were to lose the playoff opener in spectacular fashion.

We're at a metaphysical divide -- not unlike the one I periodically reach with PA on the subject of Pegula not being an ideal owner.

And, hey - speaking of periods. :P

:w00t:

I just don't see it having that much weight. Sure it takes the monkey off the back, so to speak. But I don't find any absolution in it. The spectre of the last two decades isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

:w00t:

I just don't see it having that much weight. Sure it takes the monkey off the back, so to speak. But I don't find any absolution in it. The spectre of the last two decades isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

You need a hug.

Making the playoffs would be huge. Period.

Whatever you guys say.

Look, I don't care how we get there, but we need to change this culture of losing. One of our teams it's actually their strategy. If it takes the collapse of the rest of the East for us to make it, then so be it. Winning begets winning and right now I think there are some people who don't even realize that winning is an option.

Baby steps.

Look, I don't care how we get there, but we need to change this culture of losing. One of our teams it's actually their strategy. If it takes the collapse of the rest of the East for us to make it, then so be it. Winning begets winning and right now I think there are some people who don't even realize that winning is an option.

Baby steps.

And let's face it, making the playoffs with Orton at QB isn't going to suddenly stop the team from looking for a starting QB. That search is going to be tough regardless of how this season ends. We are not going to the first shot at QB if our first pick is 37th overall or if it is is 52nd overall.

Making the playoffs would be huge. Period.

Baby steps.

This.

And now we're citing statistical flukes. You guys are nuts.

This isn't a situation like the Sabres, where there is a percieved benefit to losing. Might as well make the show as a mediocre team. And seeing your nemesis get passed by is always an occassion for joy, innit?

This isn't a situation like the Sabres, where there is a percieved benefit to losing. Might as well make the show as a mediocre team. And seeing your nemesis get passed by is always an occassion for joy, innit?

Hear, hear (although you really should attribute freeman for the innit).

This is the NFL, man, where you are pretty much always (or at least in theory should be) a year or two (or three) away from re-tooling and making another run at the playoffs. And if you get a competent QB who gets hot at the right time? Sheeyyit. You can win the big trophy no problem -- all it takes is a four game run.

The NHL? Very different ball of wax. Being a peripheral playoff team that is not built to withstand among the most grueling tournaments in sports is an exercise in futility.

Which, again, is why I have a $100 bet going with a dear friend that the Bills will win a SB before the Sabres win a Cup.

I guess I just don't care about some perceived moral victory over a team that has three Super Bowls to its name and was a massive dynasty. I guess I'm supposed to be excited for the eventual fall of the Bruins too right? At some point they'll suck again and then I'm supposed to jump up and down and say "haha sucks to be you guys!" as all their fans are looking at their 2011 Stanley Cup Champions posters. Sure.

I guess I just don't care about some perceived moral victory over a team that has three Super Bowls to its name and was a massive dynasty. I guess I'm supposed to be excited for the eventual fall of the Bruins too right? At some point they'll suck again and then I'm supposed to jump up and down and say "haha sucks to be you guys!" as all their fans are looking at their 2011 Stanley Cup Champions posters. Sure.

I'm with ya on this, but not on making the playoffs. Even if they back in due to divisional suckitude, a playoff game at the Ralph is a great thing (and you are not to be blamed for not appreciating this -- the last one happened when you were still a wee lad). And while it's almost impossible to see the Bills making the playoffs and advancing -- OTOH, a wild-card team is not likely to come into the Ralph in January as a heavy favorite.

Damn, regular season hasn't even started yet. You sure you want to christen it with this level of tension?

I'm sure the Seahawks are absolutely miserable that their resurgence started when they won the division at 7-9...

Not even close to analogous. The Seahawks had only missed the playoffs twice, and before that had won 4 playoff games in 3 years, including a trip to the superbowl in 2005. They also went 7-9 the following year.

The analogy, i guess, is that they didn't actually get better until they figured out the quarterback thing.

I haven't seen any of Detroit's games this year, but did I hear some chatter about Calvin Johnson not being used quite as much so far? If that's the case, that's the last thing I want to be hearing going into a game against them. You just know he'll break out against us.

Calvin is hurt and played last game with a severely sprained ankle. At no point in the game did he play two plays in a row, and pretty much couldn't run. Was only on the field for 30ish snaps. He will still be hobbled this Sunday, but perhaps a little more mobile than this past weekend.

If the Bills had a first round pick this year I would be somewhere close to d4rk's thinking. But they don't. So go for it. If you fail then Marrone (and others) go. If you succeed then Marrone knows something about football. Either way we still need a QB.

If the Bills had a first round pick this year I would be somewhere close to d4rk's thinking. But they don't. So go for it. If you fail then Marrone (and others) go. If you succeed then Marrone knows something about football. Either way we still need a QB.

I can live with drafting a qb in the 2nd or trading back into the bottom of the 1st if possible. Plenty of guys in this years class will be available then.

I can live with drafting a qb in the 2nd or trading back into the bottom of the 1st if possible. Plenty of guys in this years class will be available then.

I can, too. There are some solid names this year. I almost said that the need at the position is going to be down after last offseason, but that's not true.

Jets, Giants, Titans, Bucs (depending on Glennon), Cardinals, Chiefs (depending on Smith's contract), Miami and St. Louis. Oh boy.

Edited by Tankalicious

I think the lack of the pick is why I'm so for making the playoffs however we can.

I can, too. There are some solid names this year. I almost said that the need at the position is going to be down after last offseason, but that's not true.

Jets, Giants, Titans, Bucs (depending on Glennon), Cardinals, Chiefs (depending on Smith's contract), Miami and St. Louis. Oh boy.

I really like Baylor's QB right now after seeing him play a few games. I doubt he'd fall to the 2nd round though. and yeah, there are going to be a ton of teams QB hunting this offseason.