Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

In a three year span this group will have wasted 2 of its 3 first round picks. Just consider that.

And it won't matter if they stumble upon a quarterback. New England can't draft to save their lives. Their assistants routinely fail when they get positions with other organizations. The common denominator for the ones that don't? They find a quarterback.

Changing gears a bit: Cliff Avril kind of sets the standard for Jerry Hughes deal. He got 4 years, $28.5M. I was originally thinking to pay him Tamba Hali money but he just isn't at that level.

The highest I would go is 4 years, $32M with $20M of guarantees in the first three years.

Changing gears a bit: Cliff Avril kind of sets the standard for Jerry Hughes deal. He got 4 years, $28.5M. I was originally thinking to pay him Tamba Hali money but he just isn't at that level.

The highest I would go is 4 years, $32M with $20M of guarantees in the first three years.

I would agree. The question with Hughes is how much he benefits from the other 3 lineman.

I would agree. The question with Hughes is how much he benefits from the other 3 lineman.

A lot, I think. Which is why I'm not paying him like Hali, a guy who has played at a high level for a while. If Hughes gets anymore than around $8M then I let him walk.

He does but I saw him absolutely destroy several lineman this year

Yep. And that play against the Browns, stripping the ball, recovering it and returning it for a TD was special as well. The question is one of value and how much you want to spend on one position and what position is easiest to replace.

It is way too early for this kind of triumphalism on this issue.

My point wasn't that Grigo isn't a bust. It's that people make definitive snap judgments on kids too early in their careers. We don't know whether or not Grigs and EJ are busts. It's more fair to call EJ a bust because football players get drafted at 22-23 rather than 18, but still.

One thing worth considering on Marrone: There isn't a whole lot of buzz about other jobs becoming available. San Fran, Oakland, Atlanta and the Jets are the three teams with definite openings coming. Only other teams with potential changes are Jacksonville, the Giants, Washington and Chicago. Chicago is the only teams there that's likely to make a move...

So there isn't going to be a whole lot of competition for candidates. The job is likely more attractive than Oakland, NY and Chicago at the moment. So making a move now without any real attractive competitors might be the smarter move.

Not sure how much stock to put into it, but speculation is growing amongst league circles, Bill Polian could be taking a position in the Bills Front Office Monday.

http://profootballta...polian-reunion/

:D :clapping: :worthy: :clapping: :worthy: :D

Now if he could just draft a Jim, Bruce, Howard, Andre and Thurman

Edited by wjag

I wouldn't be too enthused about it. He was less than stellar with Indy.

He was the last guy in here to put a winning staff and team together. It may be nostalgic on my part, but it HAS to be better than what we have seen. He is an NFL guy having worked at the higher echelon of things. He has to know people. I'll take my chances.

I wouldn't be too enthused about it. He was less than stellar with Indy.

Agreed. That team couldn't draft or put together a defense to save its life. And when Manning went down, it became obvious how big the roster holes were. And his son is pro personnel director in Jacksonville, I can't say that inspires confidence.

He was the last guy in here to put a winning staff and team together. It may be nostalgic on my part, but it HAS to be better than what we have seen. He is an NFL guy having worked at the higher echelon of things. He has to know people. I'll take my chances.

Sorry, my post was unclear. I was referring to Chris Polian. Tank was theorizing Bill would push for his son in the GM position.

The last team he put together that didn't have a HoF QB went 2-14.

That was Chris Polian who put it together. Chris took over personnel decisions in 2007 for Indy, right about the time when their drafts really started tanking.

I'm always skeptical how much power someone like Polian (Bill) really cedes when they "step back" or whatever equivalent phrase you want to use. Regardless, the defense was terrible for basically Peyton's entire time there, so Bill isn't absolved of that even if Chris really did start calling the shots later on.

Out with the old... In with the old. Sure, he was around during the best times this franchise had, but he's still yet another Ralph guy who has had a long-standing relationship with the franchise. Let's get some outside thinkers in the room...