Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

I still think Sammy needed to be a bigger part of this offense to really pass judgement, we are not a down the field big passing team, unfortunately we weren't a huge running team either. Beckham had a lot of attempts of 20+ yards thrown his way, I'm not a stats guy, but the seeing eye test, I didn't see the same going towards Sammy

20+ yard receptions:

Sammy: 13

Beckham: 14

Keep in mind the Bills had their worst rushing season in history.

Last year's draft was one of the deepest wide receiver drafts in history. So.... we trade our first round pick next year to move up a few slots to pick a receiver? If EJ shows that he isn't the answer this season then we'd almost certainly end up with a top-10 pick in next year's draft which should have several franchise-type QB's available (Mariota, Winston, Hundley)... But, we traded the ###### pick for a receiver who doesn't have a quality QB to get him the ball. And plenty of other very good WR options were available this past draft (e.g., Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, etc.). Not smart. Total lack of foresight IMHO. Welcome to year #15 of missing the playoffs and counting...

I posted what tank just did before the season started (i.e. not just hindsight). Watkins is a fine player, but IMHO the price was/is too high given the opportunity cost.

Hopefully Obi-wan Pegula will work some magic this off-season and infuse some life into this franchise. If we're somehow able to re-sign Jerry Hughes (UFA) I'd be pretty happy. And, if we're not able to find a better QB then an offensive line upgrade or two would certainly help.

Your whole post was nonsense as far as I'm concerned. No numbers you share will convince me that Ortmund is anything more than a bad journeyman QB. He's not good if you're a WR trying to get yards either.

I'm sorry you completely overlooked my initial point. Perhaps if you didn't my following post would have made much more sense to you.

Orton had more completion/game this year than Jim Kelly did in any season of his career. Orton's completion percentage was higher than every season Kelly played with the exception of 1991 (by .2%). You can discuss all you want if Orton is a QB to win games but the fact remains he is a QB that put up big numbers. He's a QB a WR loves to have if all they care about is padding their stats.

Statistically (in terms of offensive numbers) Orton was better than anything Jim Kelly ever did.

You're seriously directly comparing stats without even *mentioning* how monumentally different the league is now? Good lord man :wallbash:

Orton's numbers are not in any sense "big" in today's NFL.

It shocks me that anybody can have the opinions you do about Orton. It's like he's your dad and you didn't watch any of the games this year.

Yep.

So you can show me where Kelly had a better statistical season than Orton. Stick to statistical comparisons because that is the point.

Not really. I don't care what all the other owners do. I want my owner to do the smart thing, the thing that makes the most sense, the thing that gives us an advantage. Smart people who know the business making the calls, not an egotistic noobie playing fantasy owner. I will hold my fire until decisions are made with the Bills. But say it's this OP friend. Are you really OK with that, just because he's the owner and can do what he wants, and other owners are equally shortsighted?

If the new guy brought in does something that's right up his alley (say, contract negotiations), there's no reason to be upset. People, in all walks of life, then to those they are familiar and comfortable with.

The whole thing is akin to complaining about the sky being blue when you want it to be yellow because your favorite color is yellow.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You're seriously directly comparing stats without even *mentioning* how monumentally different the league is now? Good lord man :wallbash:

Orton's numbers are not in any sense "big" in today's NFL.

I wasn't comparing him to the NFL, was I? For as ###### as you are about logic and numbers, why can't you stick to what I was comparing?

I wasn't comparing him to the NFL, was I? For as ###### as you are about logic and numbers, why can't you stick to what I was comparing?

Because your comparison is totally meaningless without context.

Edit: it's like comparing economic growth today to the 1900s in pure dollar terms without taking into account a little concept called inflation.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Orton was in the top 15 in yards/game and also completion percentage, and 18th in TD's (while playing only 12 games) while having the worst running game in team history to work with.

Because your comparison is totally meaningless without context.

Edit: it's like comparing economic growth today to the 1900s in pure dollar terms without taking into account a little concept called inflation.

Not quite, that would mean a 300 yard game today would be 180 yards in Kelly's day.

If you want to compare something other than what I mentioned, please start your own. Don't twist mine.

Aye, and an offensive coordinator.

I'm thinking nothing will change across the board for coaching unless somebody gets hired away.

I think Brandon, Overdorf and Whaley are the only ones with any shot at getting canned. I think, at the very least, let's get Brandon, Overdorf and Berchtold out of there.

So let's state our ideas now: who do you let go of? Fire? Sign?

I think that the week one starter at QB has to be somebody that isn't on this roster. There's options. Pick one.

I think Hackett SHOULD go but won't. Other than that I do think Marrone earned another year despite his extreme stupidity at times. I think Schwartz earned it for him, but he's the head coach of a 9-7 team nonetheless.

Brandon, Overdorf and Berchtold can leave. Bring in their replacements of guys/girls NOT connected to this franchise.

Give Mike Iupati the Mario Williams treatment. He's an elite guard and we need one.

Draft a QB at some point. Hundley, Petty and Mannion are guys I like. Hundley early, Petty in the middle and Mannion at the tail end.

Draft another guard, TE and depth all over. Address the punter position.

If Hughes really wants $10M then let him walk. If he's looking between $8-9M keep him.

Once all this business it taken care of spend all your attention on extending Dareus and Gilmore.

Hooray!!!

Finally beat the Pats in Gilette. First winning season in ages.

One of the best defences this team has ever had!

New ownership, committed to Buffalo.

Finally, this team is turning things around!!!

One of the best end-of-season days all you voting against Perreault types can remember.

Everyone has got to be feeling cheery today, right guys?

....guys?

:ph34r:

Edited by dudacek

Orton was in the top 15 in yards/game and also completion percentage, and 18th in TD's (while playing only 12 games) while having the worst running game in team history to work with.

Not quite, that would mean a 300 yard game today would be 180 yards in Kelly's day.

If you want to compare something other than what I mentioned, please start your own. Don't twist mine.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. The NFL has drastically changed its rules to produce better passing offense. If you think this doesn't impact individual player statistics, I don't know what to tell you.

The average NFL offense this year is producing 238 yards per game. The average in 1990 was 195, and for some perspective, it was 161 in 1970 when passing offenses were hilariously less efficient than today. The Bills were 10th in passing offense in 1990, and this year they're 18th. So with "better" numbers across the board, they were somehow worse relative to the competition. And that's with passing the ball on 57.8% of snaps this year, as opposed to only 45.6% of plays in 1990. And before you try to "get me" on the snap count, the Bills ran 931 offensive plays in 1990 and 962 this year. Passing statistics are not worth what they used to be.

I can't believe a spent time researching what should be such an obvious point.

Hooray!!!

Finally beat the Pats in Gilette. First winning season in ages.

One of the best defences this team has ever had!

New ownership, committed to Buffalo.

Finally, this team is turning things around!!!

One of the best end-of-season days all you voting against Perreault types can remember.

Everyone has got to be feeling cheery today, right guys?

....guys?

:ph34r:

We aren't allowed to enjoy wins anymore. Or something.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. The NFL has drastically changed its rules to produce better passing offense. If you think this doesn't impact individual player statistics, I don't know what to tell you.

The average NFL offense this year is producing 238 yards per game. The average in 1990 was 195, and for some perspective, it was 161 in 1970 when passing offenses were hilariously less efficient than today. The Bills were 10th in passing offense in 1990, and this year they're 18th. So with "better" numbers across the board, they were somehow worse relative to the competition. And that's with passing the ball on 57.8% of snaps this year, as opposed to only 45.6% of plays in 1990. And before you try to "get me" on the snap count, the Bills ran 931 offensive plays in 1990 and 962 this year. Passing statistics are not worth what they used to be.

To add a little more, Orton's yards per attempt, yards per completion, and net yards per attempt were all worse than any season Kelly had except his second.

I've tried being civilized with you, no matter how many snide comments you direct my way. I think I'm pretty much done trying. You've repeatedly looked down your nose at me and I really have no use for you. If I put you out by having to look up stats to prove a point, perhaps you should have just moved on.....or better yet not showed up today. It must be an awfully lonely world you live in atop your imaginary pedestal.

If you're going to think out loud and tell everybody about all the time you wasted, why did you even bother in the first place?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Just read Russ Brandon using the word "we" over and over when talking about meetings in the coming days and offseason decision. ###### ###### that pisses me off. Do we still have the "he is a marketing genius and not involved in football decisions" crowd? If so, he's a better marketing genius than we all thought.

He needs to go. He just comes off as a slimy snake hellbent on doing the wrong thing.

He spends the entire interview saying "we" in regards to exit-interviews but then claims he's not involved in the football side of things. He is playing both sides so when things go wrong he can say "I'm not involved in football decisions." Genius but vile.

I've tried being civilized with you, no matter how many snide comments you direct my way. I think I'm pretty much done trying. You've repeatedly looked down your nose at me and I really have no use for you. If I put you out by having to look up stats to prove a point, perhaps you should have just moved on.....or better yet not showed up today. It must be an awfully lonely world you live in atop your imaginary pedestal.

"Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Your statistical comparison was fundamentally flawed because it ignored context. I apologize for the snark in my post, but I do not apologize for pointing out the glaring problem with your comparison. If you want to misdirect the issue to my tone, that's certainly your prerogative, but I'd recommend looking beyond that to the content of the post.