How do Sabres reach cap floor next year and penalty for failing to do so?

matter2003

There is a huge chasm between where they stand and just reaching the cap floor, which is expected to jump to between $52-54 million next year as the cap rises to over $71 million. Currently the Sabres project with bonuses counted to be around $36 million. They need to add between $16-18 million minimum to get there...I am assuming Ennis, Foligno and Conacher will get tendered as RFA's, so that will add 3-4 million maybe more if they do some longer term deals...

How do they get there? Signing a bunch of vets to ridiculous 1 year deals? Wouldn't that potentially screw up our tank job for McDavid?

What is the penalty if they don't get there? Looks like Leino won't be getting bought out...they need his salary on the books...

Edited by matter2003

As of now, we're sitting on about $34 million of projected cap space for next year. That's the lowest payroll in the league by far (as it sits today). Plus, we're likely to buy out our highest paid forward (Leino with a $4.5 million cap hit). Ennis and Foligno will get raises next year as RFAs. We'll probably re-sign Hank (UFA) as a veteran depth defenseman. But, we definitely need to spend some money on free agents or trade for some expensive vets!

http://www.capgeek.c...harts_year=2014

I found this article to be really informative; http://www.wingingit...earing-up-a-faq

Effectively, not meeting the cap floor is bound by the same punishments as exceeding the salary cap (non-compliance), and a team can get crushed by that (fines, forfeited picks, forfeited games, employee suspensions, and more). And the first offense carries the penalty of a mandatory fine of at least $1M (plus the $ discrepancy) and forfeiture of a first round pick. So we shouldn't do that, by any means.

HOWEVER, the article points out that it's pretty easy to remain compliant, without actually spending the money. How teams can do that is detailed here: http://theleafsnatio...t-the-cap-floor

The simplest way to do this is to sign entry level contracts and contracts to guys over age 35 and completely lade them with unattainable performance bonuses. Those bonuses count agaisnt the cap. The ELCs have a limit on bonuses, but it looks like the over-35 guys don't.

So look for Hank Tallinder to get signed to a contract that gives him a payout if he wins MVP of the NHL All-Star Game and the Lady Byng.

Personally, I think we should just throw ridiculous contracts at Ott and Callahan, and "include them in the build" as leaders. They can die on the 3rd and 4th lines at the end of their contract, for all I care, but they'll demonstrate a good level of compete as long as they can still skate.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

No team has failed to get over the minimum salary yet and i don't think Murray will have issues either. As he said, it's a nonissue. It's amazing how carefree Murray seems about this yet its a big topic of conversation all over the place.

Define "all over the place". I think most everyone here understands that filling out a roster of 23-24 players will take this team above the cap floor. Murray is nonchalant about the subject because he know its a non issue.

Everytime I read something like this I wonder where the population is that can truly understand analytics because most everyone seems to be basic math challenged. Right now the team sits just below $37 million with only 13 players under contract. That means they only need to add 10 players at $1.5M each to reach the cap floor. Factoring in one mid level signing on both forward and defense will easily take them over the floor. This doesn't even factor in things like the cap not rising as much as first thought because of the falling Canadian dollar, using a regular buyout on Leino thus creating cap dollars while eliminating one of the 23 or signing Ennis or Foligno to new deals.

The floor will not be a problem.

Capgeek has an armchair GM function that you can play around with... kind of fun, actually. I conservatively projected:

Centers: CoHo, Ennis (RFA resigned), Girgs, Konopka (UFA resigned)

LW: Moulson (UFA signed*), Larsson, Foligno (RFA resigned), Ellis, Scott (UFA resigned)

RW: Stewart, Stafford, Flynn, Mitchell, D'Agostini (UFA resigned)

D: Hoff, Myers, Weber, Pysyk, Hank (UFA resigned), McBain (RFA resigned), Rudy

G: Enroth, Neuvirth

So I dumped Sulzer (UFA not resigned), Leino (buyout) and Conacher (RFA not resigned). I signed one expensive free agent left winger (Moulson) and called up a couple of guys. I gave healthy raises to all of the resigned guys plus gave $7 million to Moulson.

....and it came out to slightly less than the projected cap floor ($20 million below the estimated 2014-2015 cap of $71.1 million). I would argue that we probably do need to bring in an expensive player or two in the off-season to get to the cap floor. But, my assumptions above were conservative and Murray may choose to do something much more radical this off-season!

B-)

I found this article to be really informative; http://www.wingingit...earing-up-a-faq

Personally, I think we should just throw ridiculous contracts at Ott and Callahan, and "include them in the build" as leaders. They can die on the 3rd and 4th lines at the end of their contract, for all I care, but they'll demonstrate a good level of compete as long as they can still skate.

I like your idea re Ott and Callahan. I would add Moulson.

Even if they buyout Leino, they can easily get to the floor. Give Ennis a long-term deal around $3.5 million.

Give some vets like Konopka and D'Agostini short-term deals around $1 million.

Sign a vet like Brian Boyle for a short-term deal around $2-2.5 million.

Another vet like Setoguchi for about $3.5 million.

Pick up a guy like Brooks Orpik for three yeas, $12 million.

Put Torrey Mitchell in Rochester (keeps a salary hit in Buffalo while allowing them to sign another guy).

RYAN CALLAHAN.

Might not want to come here.

I think the chances of us overpaying a little on one or two year deals to vet forwards like Vrbata, Boyle, Setoguchi... etc. is more likely to happen than Callahan coming or Moulson/Ott rejoining the organization.

Sign this UFA sign that UFA, though there are plenty of player who will take the money, if you're Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, Ryan Callahan do you really want to play in buffalo now? The team is awful and does not look like it will win for a while. Plus will the Sabres offer the term these guys want? It's easy to say play x players 6 million on a one year deal, but I get offered 4 years 13 million elsewhere I'm taking the 4 year deal.

I'm sure Murray has a plan but the Sabres have 18 to 20 million to fill in. And the plan better be around have a tough season next year, as we need to contend for that top pick. After that winning becomes the priority again.

If they are hellbent on tanking next year as well, it may make sense to throw big money at Tallinder and Scott. Personally, I wish the league allowed for you to go the youth route and forced you to modify the contracts on the team for the year to make up the minimum. So everyone on the team would get a bump up for the one year that you want to be at the floor.

Murray needs to contract the Fucillo Ad guys to make one for him? "Have a bad contract? Need cap space? We will buy your terrible players from you! No reasonable trade refused!"

Essentially, OtherTeam trades useless player (ideally with one-two years left) and a nice pick/prospect for our lower-level pick. Other team gets help, we hit the floor, and maybe one of those players likes the change of scenery and we get a steal.

As of now, we're sitting on about $34 million of projected cap space for next year. That's the lowest payroll in the league by far (as it sits today). Plus, we're likely to buy out our highest paid forward (Leino with a $4.5 million cap hit). Ennis and Foligno will get raises next year as RFAs. We'll probably re-sign Hank (UFA) as a veteran depth defenseman. But, we definitely need to spend some money on free agents or trade for some expensive vets!

http://www.capgeek.c...harts_year=2014

I laughed at what someone else said on this board. Give raises to the RFA's and give Hank a 1 year $25 million contract. That's funny $hit!

For the nerdy types on this board (which is probably most of us)... build your team for next year...make sure to spend north of about $51 mil or so: http://www.capgeek.c...es/armchair-gm/

With very little effort and some moderate raises to UFA/RFA guys I can hit 57mil. I also brought back Moulson and signed a UFA defender. I think we will be fine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.