Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Patty thanks Terry Pegula and Fans but not his colleagues as he leaves.

I think Tim Murray just survived his first pissing contest with the guy that hired him.

I'm smiling because I think Murray's our guy.

I like Murray, too. A lot, although there isn't a lot to go on yet. Given the choice of Murray without LaFontaine versus LaFontaine without Murray, I think I would have to see who PLF would hire instead. But Murray has the makings of a really good GM and that is going to get us a lot further and a lot quicker to where we want to be than LaFontaine. If all PLF did was hire Murray and Patrick, and Murray turns out to be our guy, Patty would have left his mark.

I think Tim Murray just survived his first pissing contest with the guy that hired him.

Really how the heck does a guy get into a disagreement with the guy he just hired? This is bizarre.

Patty came in, did what was asked of him and is going back to his less stressful nhl job.

Clearly Patty is not suited for these executive roles cuz he's jumped ship twice now.

The team has a gm that has some stones and will do what's best for the team.

Lafontaine, great guy, hockey player. Terrible nhl team exec.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

I agree with this. Most of the great players in sports that have tried their hand at the front office side of things generally make bad execs. Seems the greater they were as players, the less success they have when trying to run operations. Competitive fire coupled with being accustomed to success through their individual efforts, isn't always a good mix for those types of jobs where consensus building is key.

GO SABRES!!!

I really don't understand this crap, why the power struggle? I was just beginning to like what was going on... But this doesn't sit well and can't be good during trade deadline deals. If I am Nolan, I hand in my resignation right now and take Girgenson's with him. This just smell like Lake Erie when I was a kid.

This. And I hope TP and TB recognize it for what it is.

GO SABRES!!!

For everyone who is saying this was the plan all along: http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/2014/02/27/pat-lafontaine-sabres-charity-buffalo-hospitals/5836819/

Now as LaFontaine writes the next chapter in his life's story, he believes the time and the place are right.

Pat LaFontaine: "There's a sense of destiny, this is something that everything in my life has prepared me for an opportunity."

This really doesn't sound like a guy who expected to be leaving this week.

I really don't understand this crap, why the power struggle? I was just beginning to like what was going on... But this doesn't sit well and can't be good during trade deadline deals. If I am Nolan, I hand in my resignation right now and take Girgenson's with him. This just smell like Lake Erie when I was a kid.

Take Girgensons where?

Less than one week before the trade deadline, major shakeup in the front office, and WGR is talking about basketball. Who the hell in BFLO gives a ###### about basketball this week?

Something about Lebron James.....at least let the janitor answer some calls on the air. :lol:

Edited by X. Benedict

Our "braintrust" will be dissolved by the end of the year. No way Patrick stays around if he thinks LaFontaine was wronged. Seems to me that we just took about five steps backwards.

So what if Murray won a power struggle, for all the talk about culture that we've had since Darcy's departure, do you really want to celebrate having a guy around who destroyed our entire management structure within the first month and a half of being here?

It makes it look like the entire team has zero plan. Which is great.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

Not surprised. Too many chiefs, somebody had to go. Black, Patrick, LaFontaine, Murray. That's just overkill. I just hope they don't trade Myers. Nolan can go. There's a reason he's been out of the league for so long. He's a good motivator but that's about it... His teams always give up a ton of shots, there are better coaches available. All hail Tim Murray.

I'm guessing the power struggle was over the upcoming personnel moves and the release of Teddy after the season. It was imperative that TM win this struggle. We cannot afford to have a neutered GM, especially at this time.

GO SABRES!!!

Wow, this reminds me of game day Carolina game 7. Get up and read on the board rumor that Jay not playing that night and dismissing it as internet garbage. 4 hours later crushed by the news.

Started on this thread around 3, not as completely bummed as I was that that day, just hate this reflects so poorly on the team.

If Battista is the next president, imma have a stroke.

We've wargamed for this exact scenario. I'm withholding judgment for now because it seems there are more moving parts to this. This is so Buffalo though. We can't even get excited about the trade deadline because our worst fears have been rekindled.

Well....it was a nice run of 70 jaded-free days.....

I'm guessing the power struggle was over the upcoming personnel moves and the release of Teddy after the season. It was imperative that TM win this struggle. We cannot afford to have a neutered GM, especially at this time.

GO SABRES!!!

And you gotta figure Pat understands that and that is why he decided to resign. I think he probably expected to have a little more input into the team building process and Murray essentially told him that that wouldn't be happening, which basically leaves Pat with no real job.

By hiring Murray and Patrick he essentially made himself redundant.

Our "braintrust" will be dissolved by the end of the year. No way Patrick stays around if he thinks LaFontaine was wronged. Seems to me that we just took about five steps backwards.

So what if Murray won a power struggle, for all the talk about culture that we've had since Darcy's departure, do you really want to celebrate having a guy around who destroyed our entire management structure within the first month and a half of being here?

It makes it look like the entire team has zero plan. Which is great.

Would you rather have had LaFontaine fire Murray? I want a GM who can get this team fixed. Not a president who is blindly loved by most Sabres fans. Murray has experience in personnel. LaFontaine has none.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.