William Carrier - via st.louis 2013 2nd round

X. Benedict

We sure did.

A lot of those names got butchered. Remember Gave-roo-mont?

Beat me to it. A number of the prospects services have praised the kid's work ethic (although admittedly not all of them). Nobody was saying that about Griggy. Not even his mom.

When pronounced correctly, 1 of the greatest hockey names ever.

Two quick items:

1. William Carrier should be AHL eligible this coming Fall. He's played 4 seasons in CHL and will be 20 by then end of 2014.

2. Larry Carriere should, in fact, be pronounced carry-air because of that pesky little 'e' at the end. 'er' = ay, "ere" = air.

:thumbsup:

Carrier has a ton of great attributes but they are all negated if he can't stay healthy.

I also wonder if his "meh" stats in the Q are because his skill set isn't ideal for that league. (Hopefully that's the case.)

My guess is we put him in the AHL this fall and leave him there for 2 full seasons to develop before we expect anything. He's a long term project at best.

Carrier has a ton of great attributes but they are all negated if he can't stay healthy.

I also wonder if his "meh" stats in the Q are because his skill set isn't ideal for that league. (Hopefully that's the case.)

My guess is we put him in the AHL this fall and leave him there for 2 full seasons to develop before we expect anything. He's a long term project at best.

Well, judging from the youtube vids on him, he, at least, shoots the puck at the net without looking like he's aiming directly at the goalie's chest protector. In that regard, he's already ahead of some current Sabres.

I think you're on to something here. I was perusing a Blues board last night, and apparently their director of amateur scouting said he thinks Carrier will be a better pro player than junior player.

Really it's all just an educated guess on all these prospects. We are really loading up on educated guesses and if half of them turn out to be good pros we will have a good team her in a few years.

Carrier, Grigerenko, Gergensons, the two young defenseman, All those top draft picks still to be picked up and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Rebuilding is not without it's interesting aspects in spite of all the losing...

Agreed. He is an intriguing prospect but at least one year in Rochester best case. You never know - he may blossom there.

Was too young to realize HE pronounced it that way. We all pronounced it as carry-air.

He ended up getting traded for the worst lush the Sabres ever dressed. Hopefully this one isn't fated that way.

Worst lush? I got some Hasek stories and people whose sole responsibilty was to babysit him that may disagree.

I go back to the beginning of the Sabres (10 years older then the team) and remember the Richard stories. My friends and I would hang out at Holiday Twin Rinks to watch the Sabres practices (and get autographs and still have the entire 74 team autograph homemade poster) and I remember one Dad saying he was surprise the Richard could even skate today. I think it stuck with me because Larry Carrierre was a favorite of mine. Hell I still have the Rocky Farr broken stick from practice in my garage.

I left BFLO in 88 so I missed the most of the Slug era and miss much if not all of the Hasek era and was pissed reading how he held the Sabres hostage. I hope they never retire his number.

Worst lush? I got some Hasek stories and people whose sole responsibilty was to babysit him that may disagree.

One had to be much more of a lush in the '70's to be considered a lush than in the '90's. Richard had talent when he started in Atlanta. By the time he was traded, he had issues. It's a shame.

Well, judging from the youtube vids on him, he, at least, shoots the puck at the net without looking like he's aiming directly at the goalie's chest protector. In that regard, he's already ahead of some current Sabres.

Not that I'm aiming this directly at your chest protector, ;) but this might be the most common bad take on this forum. I'm hoping that when people post comments about shooting at the goalies chest they are joking but I know better. Without having played hockey past the street version, I can only imagine its really difficult to pick the tiny openings available to shooters all the while a skilled human being is trying to prevent you from finding those openings. Not to mention the 6'4" thug chasing you down with a large weapon in his hands trying to prevent you from attempting said shot. Long story short, I'm pretty sure no one is "aiming" for the goalie's chest protector.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure no one is "aiming" for the goalie's chest protector.

I could see it if someone is having a bad night. "Man, every shot is 2 feet from where I want it to go, I'll just aim for the center and hope I catch a corner." Or conversely, they're aiming just inside the post and it goes two feet either way and it's either wide or dead center into the goalie.

I'm going to be watching this kid very closely. This is the first example of TM making a decision we have. He said he was not afraid to blow things up. Give him his props there because 'he done blowed up real good' here. This kid is the index case for TM and his ability to judge talent. He thinks he has the right stuff. Let's see.

Edited by wjag

I'm sure someone might have mention this already but what if the blues don't make the WCF's and then decide to sign Miller after the draft? What happens to that pick? Is it just a third in 2016?

I think it becomes a 1st in 2016, if they don't make the WFC and he re-signs after the draft.

But, I heard we have to give them a 2nd and a 3rd, to get the 1st. (Anyone else hear that? It was on WGR.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Liger does not watch the Q though. He has said, IIRC, he knows next to nothing about the league.

I watch the Q. This guy has potential.

Yea I like the OHL and the WHL better. No offense to the Q just my own preferences.

That scares me more! Liger watches the CHL like a dog guarding a meth lab, FFS!

lol I wouldn't go that far. I do catch a few games through various streams when I can and I try to follow the scoring races and such. Carrier was just a guy that never caught my eye. Probably because he was in the Q. Still there are a ton of players in the Juniors and I don't always know about everyone, if I did, I would probably be a scout lol.

I think it becomes a 1st in 2016, if they don't make the WFC and he re-signs after the draft.

But, I heard we have to give them a 2nd and a 3rd, to get the 1st. (Anyone else hear that? It was on WGR.)

Here is what TSN has on this: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

The conditional third-round pick in 2016 would become a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft if Miller re-signs with the Blues or St. Louis makes it to the 2014 Western Conference Final. However, should that pick become a first-rounder, the Blues would then acquire the Minnesota Wild's second-round pick (which Buffalo acquired as part of the return for Jason Pominville) as well as the Sabres' own 2014 third-rounder. If the Blues don't reach the Western Conference Final but sign Miller after the 2014 NHL Draft has taken place, then Buffalo would receive a 2016 second-round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.