William Carrier - via st.louis 2013 2nd round

X. Benedict

Very well could be. Where are the Sabs' future FIRST liners? That's what I want, and I don't like Murray's suggestion that they're only available in the draft.

I don't think I've heard Murray say that.

Well, if we're looking on the bright side, Hockey Prospectus had Carrier ranked as the Blues' #3 prospect as of September 2013 -- and they said he has good speed:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=1581

3. William Carrier, Left Wing

2011-12 Ranking: N/A

Date of birth: 12/20/1994

Height:6'2''

Weight: 198

Shoots: Left

Statistics: 34 GP, 16 G, 42 P (Cape Breton, QMJHL)

Acquired: Second round, 57th overall in 2013 by St. Louis

Year in Review: Carrier missed a significant part of the season due to an ankle injury, but when healthy, he was a pretty quality player.

The Good: Carrier is a really good skater, as he has an explosive first step and the ability to pressure defenders really well off the rush. He has solid ability with the puck, and he makes above-average plays as a playmaker. He has the physical tools in terms of size and strength, and he has the battle ability to be an asset in that area of the game. Carrier also has a very good shot, and he can score from mid-distance.

The Bad: Carrier's consistency is his most notable issue, as scouts note that he can disappear for long stretches. His puck skills are fairly average, and he could show a little better effort in his all-around play.

Projection: He could be a top-six forward, but he carries above-average risk.

---

Apparently pronounced "Cair-ee-AY"

Who was it that said we need more French Canadians?

Does anyone remember the last Sabre who pronounced his name that way?

Well, if we're looking on the bright side, Hockey Prospectus had Carrier ranked as the Blues' #3 prospect as of September 2013 -- and they said he has good speed:

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1581

---

I know who you mean, but I'm proud not to remember seeing him play. I'm not THAT old!

Upon taking a closer look, this kid has a ###### ton of upside. Something Murray said in his press conference tipped me off... he said that they considered him to be a first round talent that had injury trouble the year before his draft, which lowered his draft position. And it's true.

THW said he was top-30 initially, then lowered him only to 38th:

Entering the season as a top-30 prospect for the upcoming 2013 NHL Entry Draft, left winger William Carrier saw his stock drop largely because of a high ankle sprain suffered on December 14th, 2012, that forced him to miss the remainder of the 2012-13 campaign.

Prior to the injury, Carrier had recorded 16 goals and 26 assists for 42 points in only 34 contests with the lowly Screaming Eagles.

CSS ranked him 18th among North American skaters in their Final 2013 Rankings, and listed him as an 'A' skater in their 2013 preliminary rankings (check out his peers in the 'A' category here). Those final rankings put him above Max Domi, above Zadorov, above Lazar, above Morin, and well above Compher and Bailey.

If TM knows his young talent, this could turn out to be a much bigger piece of the trade than it seems on the surface.

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1581

---

Was too young to realize HE pronounced it that way. We all pronounced it as carry-air.

He ended up getting traded for the worst lush the Sabres ever dressed. Hopefully this one isn't fated that way.

The only similarities between the two is that they wear numbers that start with two.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing: Grigorenko came into the draft with high risk/high upside. It could be like an experiment; the player being the control, the development the variable.

Was too young to realize HE pronounced it that way. We all pronounced it as carry-air.

He ended up getting traded for the worst lush the Sabres ever dressed. Hopefully this one isn't fated that way.

We sure did.

A lot of those names got butchered. Remember Gave-roo-mont?

This kid is starting to sound like Grigorenko Mark II.

The only similarities between the two is that they wear numbers that start with two.

Beat me to it. A number of the prospects services have praised the kid's work ethic (although admittedly not all of them). Nobody was saying that about Griggy. Not even his mom.

He is being compared to Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty...even if he becomes half of the player those guys are (or have been)...how is that a bad thing? He is strong on the puck and has a nose for the net. Good 2-way player. Great leader/worker on and off the ice. Was rated as a 1st round pick and top-30 prospect, before injury. (Everything Buffalo needs.)

I don't see anything bad about picking this kid up...nobody has a better idea of what he will be more than Tim Murray, and I trust his evaluation skills.

(He is the one who got Getzlaf and Perry in the back-half of the first round, while in Anaheim.)

Here is Button's take on Carrier...he sure seemed to like him.

* This is also a promising report on the kid...and if he lives up to his potential, Murray got a steal.

Yves Leblanc from Redline Report: “He’s a solid prospect, a guy that projects as a solid 2nd line NHLer. His skating was a pretty big issue last year, but he was moving better this year until the injury. He plays bigger than his size, not a big banger but will compete for pucks and is hard to knock off it. He has good poise and vision with the puck, above average hands. Not a huge upside (will probably never be a point-per-game NHLer), but a very safe pick with a bit of upside (50-70 points).”

Edited by Bob Malooga

Can we agree to call him Big Stick? He's a big guy. His sport plays with sticks. He plays a style that fits into the "walk tall and carry a big stick" saying... And his name is pronounced "Carry-Ay" so it'd be William Carry A Big Stick.

Upon taking a closer look, this kid has a ###### ton of upside. Something Murray said in his press conference tipped me off... he said that they considered him to be a first round talent that had injury trouble the year before his draft, which lowered his draft position. And it's true.

THW said he was top-30 initially, then lowered him only to 38th:

[/size]

CSS ranked him 18th among North American skaters in their Final 2013 Rankings, and listed him as an 'A' skater in their 2013 preliminary rankings (check out his peers in the 'A' category here). Those final rankings put him above Max Domi, above Zadorov, above Lazar, above Morin, and well above Compher and Bailey.

If TM knows his young talent, this could turn out to be a much bigger piece of the trade than it seems on the surface.

Pretty much my sentiments, TM even made me think he wanted him more than rattie.

Can we agree to call him Big Stick? He's a big guy. His sport plays with sticks. He plays a style that fits into the "walk tall and carry a big stick" saying... And his name is pronounced "Carry-Ay" so it'd be William Carry A Big Stick.

Yes we can call him Big Stick.

If he doesn't pan out he is William Carry-A Bag A Donuts though .

https://twitter.com/SabresProspects Thoughts on Carrier:

Final Carrier note: Powerful skater, good speed. 2013-14: signed ELC in Aug., 2+1 in 4gp in Traverse, 17-39-56 (60gp) with CAP/DRU.

Carrier just drafted in 2013 (now with Drummondville - QMJHL) but he's a December birth date. He's AHL eligible next year.

One of the first things you notice with Carrier is his ability to get to the high traffic areas. Good hands in tight.

I'll put together some 2013-14 video shortly, but for now this looks like a good deal for future forward balance.

Had a high level snippet on Carrier in 2013 draft preview. Just the basics. Use control+f to sift through the junkhttp://www.sabresprospects.com/2013/06/buffalo-sabres-2013-draft-preview.html?showComment=1372030873610#c9005854086965675820

William Carrier - LW, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)

6'2" | 198 lbs.

12/20/94

Carrier was on course to be surefire first-rounder until a December ankle injury put an end to his all-important draft year. Before going down, the talented power forward made a lasting impression by kicking in 42 points (16+26) in 34 games on one of the league's weakest squads. With an ability to toss his weight around, leverage his playmaking instincts, and play a tight defensive game, Carrier fits the criteria for the Sabres are looking for, especially if paired with the right centerman. The Sabres have scouts with Maritime roots, so Carrier not playing in the CHL Top Prospects Game and missing the entire second half should have little impact on their read.

Sabres had clear need for high-end LW prospects. Getting Carrier in this deal brings a bigtime shot and adds some physicality down that side

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.