William Carrier - via st.louis 2013 2nd round

X. Benedict

From HF: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/william-carrier/

An all-weather forward who struggled with injuries in his draft year, Carrier combines good size with offensive skill and tops it off with a burning desire to leave it all out on the ice every night. He isn't afraid to play a physical style, or to take punishment in the corners or in front of the net to make a play, but has fallen victim in the past to trying to do too much on the ice. With great hands and a cannon of a shot, Carrier has already started working hard to improve his skating.

Sounds like a lower grade Zemgus, with a little less focus on Zemgus' strong backchecking.

Red Line Report on Carrier:

June 2013

"“We absolutely loved second rounder William Carrier and he was easily the draft’s biggest steal all the down at#57.Even with longterm injury absence, he was a no-doubt first rounder for us: a physical force who is big, competitive, coach-able, and a scorer.”

Seems like he's having a lousy year this year too.

39 games played 12 29 41 -3 and he's missed 21 games.

39 games played 12 29 41 -3 and he's missed 21 games.

Then traded to Drummondville to score 15 points in 20 games? These aren't eye-popping numbers for the Q. Not that you can take the Q stats seriously, but you'd expect more from a scorer.

Maybe he'll seem better when he's healthy again and playing in a real league.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129676

Seems like a low risk high reward guy.

Enough intangibles coupled with size that he could be a decent bottom 6 player if he turns out just OKAY.

Injuries really could have masked a diamond in the rough here as well. Seems like he put a pretty big emphasis on improving his skating this year. Nice to see individual drive like that from a kid his age. You can never have too many kids with work ethics like that.

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010

Carrier's development (and for that matter Stewart's play, if he stays with the Sabres) will be an interesting barometer of TM's talent evaluation skills.

I'm willing to give TM the benefit of the doubt and say that the blurbs/numbers look promising -- although I'm not that psyched about his apparent lack of speed.

Carrier's development (and for that matter Stewart's play, if he stays with the Sabres) will be an interesting barometer of TM's talent evaluation skills.

I'm willing to give TM the benefit of the doubt and say that the blurbs/numbers look promising -- although I'm not that psyched about his apparent lack of speed.

Ya, the speed thing is a pretty big deal. The Black Hawks win with mostly speed, not size

He sort of looks like Briere

It'd be the ###### if Tim Murray's superpower was finding hidden talent like that. Having a superpower is unlikely, but if TM had one, with his devotion to player evaluation, it'd be that. Like a Super Scout.

"That's no ordinary 2nd round pick... it's a 90-point player in disguise!"

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The fact that this board, many members of which watch every hockey game they can, doesn't know this guy? That tells me enough.

You're so grouchy tonight. But yea, I'd like to think many among us have also heard of this guy.

The fact that this board, many members of which watch every hockey game they can, doesn't know this guy? That tells me enough.

I remember reading about him leading up to the 2013 draft. But, like most of the 2013 picks, I stopped paying much attention when someone else got him.

Not a glowing endorsement but it's not like he's a total nobody.

Haha. But honestly this seems like the kid could develop into a hard working 3rd liner with playmaking skills. Girgenson's future partner in crime on a line with Larson?

Very well could be. Where are the Sabs' future FIRST liners? That's what I want, and I don't like Murray's suggestion that they're only available in the draft.

But yeah, that's nothing on Carrier, I guess. I just really wanted Rattie coming back.

Very well could be. Where are the Sabs' future FIRST liners? That's what I want, and I don't like Murray's suggestion that they're only available in the draft.

But yeah, that's nothing on Carrier, I guess. I just really wanted Rattie coming back.

I would've wanted rattie as well instead of carrier/2015 pick. I agree with you, but if the blues weren't budging, we still got good value. But yea just not win now value

Edited by Numark

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.