OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

I'm far from the biggest Miller fan. But let's remember the only time in the last 5 years that the Penguins made a legitimate run in the playoffs wasn't riding on the back of Fleury. The Pens went that far because of a 36 year old Vokoun.

Now, I would argue that Vokoun is a better goaltender. But it can happen that an older goaltender can be effective. Roloson carried Tampa a couple of years ago. 34 years old isn't washed up.

I'm far from the biggest Miller fan. But let's remember the only time in the last 5 years that the Penguins made a legitimate run in the playoffs wasn't riding on the back of Fleury. The Pens went that far because of a 36 year old Vokoun.

Now, I would argue that Vokoun is a better goaltender. But it can happen that an older goaltender can be effective. Roloson carried Tampa a couple of years ago. 34 years old isn't washed up.

Roloson carried Edmonton to the finals in 2006 and was the Conn Smythe favorite until he went down in game one. But the canes weren't lucky that year or anything in terms of massive/key injuries to their opponents.

Roloson carried Edmonton to the finals in 2006 and was the Conn Smythe favorite until he went down in game one. But the canes weren't lucky that year or anything in terms of massive/key injuries to their opponents.

Another good example. He wasn't young then either.

Just a hunch that Ryan retires. There's nowhere for him to go with any future unless he accepts a backup role and I don't think he's going to do that. He's a very old 34 with a ton of miles and he was already talking about retirement in a couple years.

Edited by 716

Just a hunch that Ryan retires. There's nowhere for him to go with any future unless he accepts a backup role and I don't think he's going to do that. He's a very old 34 with a ton of miles and he was already talking about retirement in a couple years.

No way he retires. There will definitely be options for him... Maybe not at his price but he'll sign somewhere.

LOL

He'll end up somewhere and he'll be the starter. Not a chance in heck that he retires now.

Wow — now Miller has reached the end of the line? Back-up or retirement is the best he can look forward to?

Are we talking the same Ryan Miller who stood on his head for most of the season before he got traded?

His performance in San Jose last fall alone should earn him an offer from the Sharks.

Given his makeup I see him taking a two-year offer from a contender (San Jose, Pittsburgh, maybe Anaheim) where he can probably be number one, over more money from a lesser team where he would be an obvious upgrade — Islanders, Caps, Canucks, Oilers, Jets, Flames, or even the Hurricanes (if the Ward rumours are true) or the Sabres.

Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Philly will probably kick his tires.

Is he going to get a five-year, $35 million offer? I doubt it at least not from a place where he wants to go.

But he will be playing in the NHL next year somewhere, and almost certainly as a number one.

Edited by dudacek

Pittsburgh is a strong possibly, I wonder if he would agree to a shorter contract to get the deal done.

Also WGR was speculating about the possibly of the Canucks being a possible destination depending on how fast of a rebuild they would like.

I think that the list of teams that will at least show some level of interest would be San Jose, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Washington, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Dallas, Edmonton, Phoenix and the Islanders.

Of that list I think Miller will quickly dismiss Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton and the Isles.

Then the teams that wouldn't get into a bidding war due to already having big money dedicated to unmovable goalies would be Minnesota, Phoenix and maybe Dallas.

That would leave San Jose (who TFP reported won't pursue Miller), Pittsburgh, Washington and Vancouver as real possibilities. I know Miller reportedly wouldn't be interested in going to Canada, but I think Vancouver might draw some consideration if they're willing to offer a bit more $$$ than others.

I think that the list of teams that will at least show some level of interest would be San Jose, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Washington, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Dallas, Edmonton, Phoenix and the Islanders.

Of that list I think Miller will quickly dismiss Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton and the Isles.

Then the teams that wouldn't get into a bidding war due to already having big money dedicated to unmovable goalies would be Minnesota, Phoenix and maybe Dallas.

That would leave San Jose (who TFP reported won't pursue Miller), Pittsburgh, Washington and Vancouver as real possibilities. I know Miller reportedly wouldn't be interested in going to Canada, but I think Vancouver might draw some consideration if they're willing to offer a bit more $$$ than others.

You don't see Filly in the market for a goalie?

Steve Mason played well, no need for Miller. Miller stock dropped with the Blues getting eliminated and Miller sporting a 2.70 gaa and a .897 save percentage in the process.

Agree, I don't see a lot of options for him. Definitely not getting long term big money contract. Glad Murray won out over LaFontaine and Nolan and traded him.

Wow — now Miller has reached the end of the line? Back-up or retirement is the best he can look forward to?

Are we talking the same Ryan Miller who stood on his head for most of the season before he got traded?

His performance in San Jose last fall alone should earn him an offer from the Sharks.

Given his makeup I see him taking a two-year offer from a contender (San Jose, Pittsburgh, maybe Anaheim) where he can probably be number one, over more money from a lesser team where he would be an obvious upgrade — Islanders, Caps, Canucks, Oilers, Jets, Flames, or even the Hurricanes (if the Ward rumours are true) or the Sabres.

Is he going to get a five-year, $35 million offer? I doubt it at least not from a place where he wants to go.

But he will be playing in the NHL next year somewhere, and almost certainly as a number one.

While I concur he may be a #1, I don't see him being a #1 on a contending team. I do not think a cup contender GM is willing to put his job on the line for Miller after his most recent Blues performance.

While I concur he may be a #1, I don't see him being a #1 on a contending team. I do not think a cup contender GM is willing to put his job on the line for Miller after his most recent Blues performance.

If a GM of a contender was went from being willing to shell out big money for Miller to not giving him much at all based on .01% of his career, that GM isn't smart enough to win a Cup anyway. If you want to make an argument that said GM wouldn't pay big money based on Miller's career then fine, but basing that big of a decision on 6 playoff games is a fireable offense.

If a GM of a contender was went from being willing to shell out big money for Miller to not giving him much at all based on .01% of his career, that GM isn't smart enough to win a Cup anyway. If you want to make an argument that said GM wouldn't pay big money based on Miller's career then fine, but basing that big of a decision on 6 playoff games is a fireable offense.

I think there will be strong interest in Miller if he is flexible with money, term and tenure.

I don't think he will command a payoff mutherload contract. Probably a 1 year bridge contract.

Agreed. If I were the GM of a team I would be looking at Miller's style and if that fits my team needs. One crappy playoff isn't enough to dismiss him. If that were the case Fleury would be nuclear waste at this point.

I think there will be strong interest in Miller if he is flexible with money, term and tenure.

I don't think he will command a payoff mutherload contract. Probably a 1 year bridge contract.

He's not going to get Lundqvist money, but I'd be shocked if he gets a 1 year deal. My guess is 4 years 20-24 million.

Abso-friggin-lutely.

He's not going to get Lundqvist money, but I'd be shocked if he gets a 1 year deal. My guess is 4 years 20-24 million.

This is where I am as well, although I wouldn't be shocked at a 3-year deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.