OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

It will be very interesting to see where he ends up, because as many have pointed out what he wants and what he offers aren't necessarily a match for a lot of teams.

In the meantime, we get watch another thread turns into "a Miller is ######/no he's not" debate.

With him and Stevie Johnson gone, I wonder who is Buffalo's next winner of the most polarizing athlete award.

It will be very interesting to see where he ends up, because as many have pointed out what he wants and what he offers aren't necessarily a match for a lot of teams.

In the meantime, we get watch another thread turns into "a Miller is ######/no he's not" debate.

With him and Stevie Johnson gone, I wonder who is Buffalo's next winner of the most polarizing athlete award.

Really? Maybe I missed it.

I think he meant Miller. Pittsburgh should have pursued him.

Or Halak. Maybe they didn't have the pieces, but there was zilch about them looking for a goaltender. The same argument can be applied for about the last 3 years. Committing to Fleury as the starter being kind of foolish isn't something new.

Maybe Miller's attitude was a factor after all and that played/will play into the equation. Maybe all the "Miller haters" were on to something.

Maybe. Fact remains there's as much evidence for this assertion today as there was a month ago, a year ago, or three years ago.

So is there ANY competitive team, with at least a decent shot of a playoff run next season, that would be in play for Miller? Or is Miller doomed to play out the last few years of his career playing for bottom shelf teams who are going nowhere? His playoff performance this year certainly didn't help his prospects,

So is there ANY competitive team, with at least a decent shot of a playoff run next season, that would be in play for Miller? Or is Miller doomed to play out the last few years of his career playing for bottom shelf teams who are going nowhere? His playoff performance this year certainly didn't help his prospects,

I don't think the playoffs hurt him at all. St. Louis just looks foolish for plugging a goalie into a system he isn't used to playing. His best years on the Sabres were behind mobile defenses that didn't collapse back onto the net but instead tried to push play to the outside. St. Louis doesn't do that. They'll let you in and fall back into a shell around the net trying to block shots and be passive on the puck carrier unless he's below the dots.

Miller would fit much better on a team that has a fast offensive minded defense.

Maybe. Fact remains there's as much evidence for this assertion today as there was a month ago, a year ago, or three years ago.

Very well could be. But the fact he was running for the same bus during that 3rd period of the last playoff game that he used to run some of his Blues teammates over with is more recent evidence. The overall picture of my point is a relevant one in that character and work ethic are equally as important as talent when evaluating a player for a potential free agent signing. Which I thought was the current discussion.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Very well could be. But the fact he was running for the same bus during that 3rd period of the last playoff game that he used to run some of his Blues teammates over with is more recent evidence. The overall picture of my point is a relevant one in that character and work ethic are equally as important as talent when evaluating a player for a potential free agent signing. Which I thought was the current discussion.

As I have said countless times before, these teammates that supposedly hated him continuously voted him team MVP.

And no one that has a clue has ever challenged his work ethic.

He may not have it any more, maybe he never did, but his attitude and work ethic have never been questioned by anyone that would know

Edited by tom webster

I don't think the playoffs hurt him at all. St. Louis just looks foolish for plugging a goalie into a system he isn't used to playing. His best years on the Sabres were behind mobile defenses that didn't collapse back onto the net but instead tried to push play to the outside. St. Louis doesn't do that. They'll let you in and fall back into a shell around the net trying to block shots and be passive on the puck carrier unless he's below the dots.

Miller would fit much better on a team that has a fast offensive minded defense.

It's always the system with this guy. Just stop the frickin puck.

As I read this thread, the drool pool grew on the table, until I got to this post. I don't see how Miller could have done much better given the circumstances. I mean, sure he could have grown golden wings, but the reality is, even with his Olympic teams, his success depends on the style his D plays.

That said, I think Miller winds up with 3yr x $4.5 mil contract somewhere, give or take.

As I read this thread, the drool pool grew on the table, until I got to this post. I don't see how Miller could have done much better given the circumstances. I mean, sure he could have grown golden wings, but the reality is, even with his Olympic teams, his success depends on the style his D plays.

That said, I think Miller winds up with 3yr x $4.5 mil contract somewhere, give or take.

Miller wasn't sharp in the playoffs.

But Miller's great strength as a goaltender is his positioning and reads - and was usually at his best at the top of his crease.

Hitchcock, by asking Miller to stay back in the crease was really taking away his greatest strength as a keeper and asking him to rely on his reflexes instead.

Sad biological fact.....those reflexes don't get better with age. (I say as I spill my coffee on my cardigan)

Miller's best at the top of his crease.

I really thought, with getting Miller, Hitchcock would let some of those defensive ponies in his stable run a little.

But Hitch stuck to his system and the league caught up to the Blues.

I think the numbers you state are the top of his market value. I wouldn't pay much more.

Edited by X. Benedict

As I have said countless times before, these teammates that supposedly hated him continuously voted him team MVP.

And no one that has a clue has ever challenged his work ethic.

He may not have it any more, maybe he never did, but his attitude and work ethic have never been questioned by anyone that would know

I guess I don't have a clue then. Although it's pretty obvious to me when Ryan Miller's given up on a game.

By the way, Ovechkin has been named his team's MVP and he's considered the laziest player in the NHL.

I just can't wrap my head around the undervaluing. There are historically AWFUL goaltenders in this league still starting on playoff contenders. Ray Emery and Bryz are still here FFS. How long did Khabibulin hang around after he was totally past his prime?

Teams will always take a proven goaltender. I bet he'll still be finding his way into starting jobs for the next ten years if he wants to.

i got a feeling we will be trading stewart so we win this trade

It wouldn't shock me if Stewart, Stafford and Erhoff are all gone. I'm guessing one might be gone at this draft and the other two by the deadline next year this way he can build the team with his hands all over his new core.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Agree, I don't see a lot of options for him. Definitely not getting long term big money contract. Glad Murray won out over LaFontaine and Nolan and traded him.

It was a no-brainer mandatory trade for the Sabres. The best part was that Miller didn't re-sign with the Blues. I think it is more advantageous to keep the 2nd and 3rd round pick rather than get a late Blues 1st round pick this year. My biggest fear (especially after the McNabb trade to LA) is that Tim Murray is going to give away future draft picks too easily to acquire new players. He gave LA two 2nd rounders plus McNabb in the Fasching/Deslaurier trade and I think he overpaid significantly. Time will tell.

I hope Murray uses these all these hard earned draft picks wisely. The jury is still way out. I don't think you can accurately assess Murray until he has to operate without all the many assets acquired by Darcy Regier. Regier did a lot of the dirty work toward rebuiding and Murray stands to get most of the credit.

If this process is done well, the Sabres future over the next 5-10 years looks very promising.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.