OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Looking at the 8 teams which were in this year's semi-finals, I see none of them picking up Ryan Miller as a starter unless they lose their goalie.

Backing out to the 16 teams in the quarters, these teams look like they might need or want a goalie

-Tampa

-Columbus

-Philly (dunno if they'll stick with Emery)

-Dallas

-Colorado - dunno how happy they are with Varlamov, or if they think that Miller would be an upgrade (their stats were fairly equivalent in the post season)

I would guess of these, Columbus or Tampa would be the most likely to be interested in Miller. Maybe Dallas too? Miller's playoff stats were certainly better than Lehtonen's

Edited by Jsixspd

I would guess of these, Columbus or Tampa would be the most likely to be interested in Miller. Maybe Dallas too? Miller's playoff stats were certainly better than Lehtonen's

Bishop is a Vezina finalist this year. He also has one year left on his contract. My guess is that Tampa will give him a new deal at some point during the summer (now if only he could learn to move more than just diagonally). They are not a player for Miller.

Edited by shrader

Unfortunately, I think Miller's age (34) might put him in the category of veteran backup come free agency on July 1st. I just don't see any team throwing $6 million or more at him. He'd be a fit for Tampa, Pittsburgh, Dallas (Lindy connection), Colorado, and a few other spots. But, I don't think anyone will look at him as a starter. He would certainly make a very good insurance policy for a contending team.

Edited by Potato

Bishop is a Vezina finalist this year. He also has one year left on his contract. My guess is that Tampa will give him a new deal at some point during the summer (now if only he could learn to move more than just diagonally). They are not a player for Miller.

Well, if he comes back up to snuff. His injury really killed them in the playoffs.

I forgot to add - St. Louis may need a goalie. :P

To be honest, for the teams in this year's playoffs - I don't see a huge demand among them for a goalie. The above on my part is "Well maybe this team?" Particularly for a goalie whose playoff performance this year was widely panned, and most analysts viewed as a big part of St. Louis' early exit from the playoffs.

Once we get down into the bottom tier, things open up. But I'm guessing that Miller himself is only interested in a team with a shot at the Stanley Cup since he's running out of years. That's why I brought up the playoff teams from this year. Maybe he'll end up having to settle for a paycheck and forgo any Championship aspirations?

Edited by Jsixspd

I'm laying my money on Pittsburgh. I think a big part of what got Shero fired was relying on Fleury without having a viable alternative on the roster--doubt the new guy, whoever it is, makes the same mistake.

I highly doubt they fired Shero because vokoun got hurt

Looking at the 8 teams which were in this year's semi-finals, I see none of them picking up Ryan Miller as a starter unless they lose their goalie.

Backing out to the 16 teams in the quarters, these teams look like they might need or want a goalie

-Tampa

-Columbus

-Dallas

-Colorado - dunno how happy they are with Varlamov, or if they think that Miller would be an upgrade (their stats were fairly equivalent in the post season)

Tampa has Bishop who is a young star who might've won the Vezina if it weren't for injuries, Columbus has the guy who won the Vezina two seasons ago and Colorado has a guy who might win the Vezina...

-Tampa

-Columbus

-Dallas

Do you look at stats when making decisions to post. Columbus lived in the Pittsburgh series because of Bobrovsky.....Dallas has Lehtonen and Campbell coming up as well as Desrosiers. Teams that might have interest: Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton (not that he'd go there), Washington, Calgary, Minnesota, Winnipeg.

If a GM of a contender was went from being willing to shell out big money for Miller to not giving him much at all based on .01% of his career, that GM isn't smart enough to win a Cup anyway. If you want to make an argument that said GM wouldn't pay big money based on Miller's career then fine, but basing that big of a decision on 6 playoff games is a fireable offense.

I'm not arguing with what you're saying, but I think the fans leaping off the Miller bandwagon after those first 8 games played a part, as did the conditional pick they'd have to give up.

I'm not arguing with what you're saying, but I think the fans leaping off the Miller bandwagon after those first 8 games played a part, as did the conditional pick they'd have to give up.

I think there are legit reasons for St. Louis to not offer him a big contract (as you said what they'd have to give up, and clearly Miller wasn't a fit in their system...although you'd think they could have known that before acquiring him, but I digress). My point was really directed at league-wide perception and GMs on other teams that should be in the market for a goaltender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.