OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Presuming Miller and Ott don't sign at all,

STL gets: Miller as just a rental, Ott as just as a rental, and no significant playoff success:

BUF gets: Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 1st round pick 2015, 3rd round pick 2016

Opinion: That's a pretty ###### good haul for two rentals. Something like Halak, a 1st and a prospect for a couple months of Miller, and Stewart + 3rd for a couple months of Ott.

St. Louis Blues@StLouisBlues

Doug Armstrong: "Brian will team up with Jake Allen next season to form our goaltending tandem." #stlblues

So there is the official announcement. Ryan Miller will become a UFA, I would not be surprised to see his rights traded. If I were the Penguins, I would be inquiring. What other teams really need a starter? Philly, Edm, Calgary?

Don't think so. If the Blues deal his rights, the draft pick compensation that the Sabres get increases.

Don't think so. If the Blues deal his rights, the draft pick compensation that the Sabres get increases.

Theoretically, the Blues could trade Miller's rights after the draft (or in an unlikely scenario, sign him and trade him), owing Buffalo a 2nd round pick. The Blues could then collect that 2nd rounder from the team they trade Miller's rights to, and it would get them out of trade pick debt.

The question is, would any team trade a 2nd round pick for Miller's rights? Unless it's Garth Snow, probably not. And then still probably not.

Theoretically, the Blues could trade Miller's rights after the draft (or in an unlikely scenario, sign him and trade him), owing Buffalo a 2nd round pick. The Blues could then collect that 2nd rounder from the team they trade Miller's rights to, and it would get them out of trade pick debt.

The question is, would any team trade a 2nd round pick for Miller's rights? Unless it's Garth Snow, probably not. And then still probably not.

I imagine Miller has to go to market. there won't be a deal.

Did anyone at any point, even right when the deal was made, expect him to stick with St. Louis next year? The conference finals were always our only hope of getting that first round pick.

This is where I have been as well.

Did anyone at any point, even right when the deal was made, expect him to stick with St. Louis next year? The conference finals were always our only hope of getting that first round pick.

Well, I thought there was enough hype and enthusiasm coming from both the Blues and Miller, and that there will be sufficiently few realistic landing spots for him as a UFA, that him re-signing was realistic if STL had a good playoff run. Once the Blues got bounced, though, I agree that it became pretty unlikely.

IMO, San Jose is his most likely destination.and I wouldn't rule out Anaheim.

I agree on SJ, but not Anaheim. Miller would have to take a cheapo 1- or 2-year deal for Anaheim to do it, and I don't think that will happen.

The Ott shoe still has to drop.

But right now the Miller net return is Stewart, Carrier, Neuvirth and a first.

At the end of the day, the potential blockbuster turned into a fairly non-remarkable trade. Stewart got hurt last season and will probably be gone by the deadline this season, and while any or all of Carrier, Neuvirth and the #1 could turn out well, it's quite possible that all 3 will wash out. That would be a pretty disappointing yield for Miller and Ott.

From STL's perspective, they gave up 2 high picks, a good prospect, a decent-to-good roster player and a good rental goalie -- so a pretty high price -- and still got bounced in the 1st round. When they look at what they got out of Ott and Miller, and what Montreal paid for Vanek -- they must be disappointed.

Trade his rights before the draft, after the draft, sign him and trade him............ Give it up. The Sabres have nothing more coming back from this deal. He's going to be on the market. We got a great return regardless. Time to close the book.

Armstrong made a comment today about what they would've given up had they resigned him. I think that played a part.

So what does everybody guess?

My guess is one of Pittsburgh or San Jose.

I'm laying my money on Pittsburgh. I think a big part of what got Shero fired was relying on Fleury without having a viable alternative on the roster--doubt the new guy, whoever it is, makes the same mistake.

I'm laying my money on Pittsburgh. I think a big part of what got Shero fired was relying on Fleury without having a viable alternative on the roster--doubt the new guy, whoever it is, makes the same mistake.

If they add Miller then Fleury would likely still have some value on the trade market.

I'll predict SJ, but I'll also more firmly predict that Miller gets much less than a franchise-goalie-level contract -- i.e. I don't think he'll get more than say, 4 years x $5MM per year. I think that playoff series took the bloom off of his rose -- probably excessively so.

If I'm right, that means he probably left about $25MM or so of TP's dollars on the table.

I'll predict SJ, but I'll also more firmly predict that Miller gets much less than a franchise-goalie-level contract -- i.e. I don't think he'll get more than say, 4 years x $5MM per year. I think that playoff series took the bloom off of his rose -- probably excessively so.

If I'm right, that means he probably left about $25MM or so of TP's dollars on the table.

I think he'll have a short contract.

If they add Miller then Fleury would likely still have some value on the trade market.

You're probably right, there's always a GM who thinks someone just needs a change of scenery. Still, it's funny to me that a career .910 goaltender (.905 postseason) who makes $5MM would have any real trade value.

I think you're right, and I also think you should remove the "probably" from that statement. Miller has 604 career starts in the regular season and postseason combined...if GMs let 6 games in one postseason outweigh that body of work, they shouldn't be GMs.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

At the end of the day, the potential blockbuster turned into a fairly non-remarkable trade. Stewart got hurt last season and will probably be gone by the deadline this season, and while any or all of Carrier, Neuvirth and the #1 could turn out well, it's quite possible that all 3 will wash out. That would be a pretty disappointing yield for Miller and Ott.

It's a shame that the Isles don't have another 2015 lottery pick to send us for Stewart.

You're probably right, there's always a GM who thinks someone just needs a change of scenery. Still, it's funny to me that a career .910 goaltender (.905 postseason) who makes $5MM would have any real trade value.

I think you're right, and I also think you should remove the "probably" from that statement. Miller has 604 career starts in the regular season and postseason combined...if GMs let 6 games in one postseason outweigh that body of work, they shouldn't be GMs.

The body of work speaks for itself. Mid 30's on the decline and nothing spectacular in his prime. Overrated forever. Any GM that gives him more than 3 years at 12-15 million shouldn't be a GM.

Miller let his gigantic ego be his own worst enemy. Now if winning is more important to him than money then he made the right decision. However, if he never wins a Cup he will have millions of reasons the rest of his life to doubt his decision making.

The body of work speaks for itself. Mid 30's on the decline and nothing spectacular in his prime. Overrated forever. Any GM that gives him more than 3 years at 12-15 million shouldn't be a GM.

Miller let his gigantic ego be his own worst enemy. Now if winning is more important to him than money then he made the right decision. However, if he never wins a Cup he will have millions of reasons the rest of his life to doubt his decision making.

I'd gladly have millions of reasons to doubt my decision making for the rest of my life.

I'd gladly have millions of reasons to doubt my decision making for the rest of my life.

I would rather have the millions he left on the table. I don't think, ultimately, his desire to leave was based on money. He wants to win and probably is aware the money will not be what it could have been in Buffalo. Can't fault him on that.

Wherever he signs it will be with a team that is expecting nothing less than the Cup. IMO, he does not have the mental makeup to thrive in that environment. He will put up the solid regular season numbers. That is a given. I just don't see him being a Cup winning goalie.

I would rather have the millions he left on the table. I don't think, ultimately, his desire to leave was based on money. He wants to win and probably is aware the money will not be what it could have been in Buffalo. Can't fault him on that.

Wherever he signs it will be with a team that is expecting nothing less than the Cup. IMO, he does not have the mental makeup to thrive in that environment. He will put up the solid regular season numbers. That is a given. I just don't see him being a Cup winning goalie.

he's on the back 9 of his career now. He's not likely to get many (if any at all) more shots. He'll be 34 this summer .

I would think that he'll be able to find a 1 year contract though.

I think Miller's chance of being the starting goalie in a Cup winning team now is now just slightly better than that of the proverbial snowball in H-E-Double-Hockey Sticks. His record in St Louis really damaged his reputation; I don't think top-tier contending teams are going to be scrambling to pick him up after St. Louis dropped him so quickly.

Edited by Jsixspd

I think Miller's chance of being the starting goalie in a Cup winning team now is just slightly better than that of the proverbial snowball in H-E-Double-Hockey Sticks. His record in St Louis really damaged his reputation.

He'll probably need to sneak in the back door, with an injury as something serendipitous , if he ever gets there.

I think Miller's chance of being the starting goalie in a Cup winning team now is now just slightly better than that of the proverbial snowball in H-E-Double-Hockey Sticks. His record in St Louis really damaged his reputation; I don't think top-tier contending teams are going to be scrambling to pick him up after St. Louis dropped him so quickly.

It's tricky. There is no doubting he wasn't good in St Louis. However, thy asked him to play such a different style it's tough to just blame him. Armstrong made a poor choice in my mind. Plus getting Chicago in the first round sucks as well - that should have been the conference match up imo. You have to let Miller play his game and be aggressive and challenge the shooter. If I had to guess, I would think Pens, Caps or Wild.

He is used to being left out to dry and did well this season. Caps would make an interesting location.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.