Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

I gotta find a person to go with me who's willing to fuddle around on the baby slopes with me until I figure it out.

And yeah, money was the part of the reason I never went, either. My parents saw sports as the devil and taking me away from studies and music, which is where our money went. Plus, it was a pretty big deal to drive to the nearest mountain- it'd have to be a weekend trip at least.

I'll fuddle with you. I can't ski worth anything.

I gotta find a person to go with me who's willing to fuddle around on the baby slopes with me until I figure it out.

And yeah, money was the part of the reason I never went, either. My parents saw sports as the devil and taking me away from studies and music, which is where our money went. Plus, it was a pretty big deal to drive to the nearest mountain- it'd have to be a weekend trip at least.

I'll fuddle with you. I can't ski worth anything.

Maybe you guys can do a long weekend (or weekday) trip to Hunter Mountain? Kinda far, but they have a really good deal on their "Try-Pak" for a couple visits/lessons. They offer great specials during March Madness on their slopeside condos, too. Haven't been myself yet, but seriously considered it.

http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/the-learning-center/adults-first-timers.aspx

Edited by biodork

Is that what you did when you were 12? I mean that's like prime sledding age right? Did you stop back into the lodge to see Chet and Muffy, aka your parents? Did you eat foie gras and caviar after? I kid but my rents didn't have the extra cake to shell out for me to ski. They could get me a $12 POS death plastic called a sled.

Lodge? It's called a Chalet! Hellooo!

You two are entering Schmoopie Country.

My mother sent us a Valentine's Day card from our cat. We're soooooo beyond Schmoopie Country.

Maybe you guys can do a long weekend (or weekday) trip to Hunter Mountain? Kinda far, but they have a really good deal on their "Try-Pak" for a couple visits/lessons. They offer great specials during March Madness on their slopeside condos, too. Haven't been myself yet, but seriously considered it.

http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/the-learning-center/adults-first-timers.aspx

Cool idea, thanks!

Our curlers are AWFUL. Men and women. I'm pretty sure SS could put together four people, practice for four years, and make a serious run at representing USA next year.

By the way, if ever there was a sport begging for mixed (coed) teams, this is the one.

Cross country skiing is the most anticlimactic event in these games. "Let's watch all these people on skis glide as slowly as possible to the finish line! They're so tired! Isn't it awesome! And Poland wins at being really tired!"

If I hear an announcer scream some variation of "oh man, he's so outta gas!" one more time I may jump through a window.

You know, I want to watch the Olympics. I really do. But every time I turn on NBC (broadcast), it's just their usual BS on. Access Hollywood? Bah. Even last weekend on Saturday afternoon I was planning on popping the TV on and watching world-class athletes, but all I saw was their usual Saturday crap.

You gotta go to CNBC, NBCS, and USA during the day to get live coverage.

http://www.huntermtn...rst-timers.aspx

That sounds awesome. I dont ski, I snowboard but I haven't been in a couple years. Living in the south does that.

http://www.huntermtn...rst-timers.aspx

I'm not a fan of Hunter. It feels like you're on a subway platform whan you're waiting for the lift (the accents and cigarette butts). If I was going to learn again I would just go to Holiday Valley, KB, or Bristol. I just wouldn't drive all that way to end up at Hunter.

I'm not a fan of Hunter. It feels like you're on a subway platform whan you're waiting for the lift (the accents and cigarette butts). If I was going to learn again I would just go to Holiday Valley, KB, or Bristol. I just wouldn't drive all that way to end up at Hunter.

Good to know. I hadn't heard from anyone else who'd been there, but the specials and relative proximity made it attractive. Only place outside of my area I've gone was Whiteface in Lake Placid a few years back. We liked it, but from what I've heard we were lucky that it had snowed recently because some of the locals called it Iceface.

Good to know. I hadn't heard from anyone else who'd been there, but the specials and relative proximity made it attractive. Only place outside of my area I've gone was Whiteface in Lake Placid a few years back. We liked it, but from what I've heard we were lucky that it had snowed recently because some of the locals called it Iceface.

Windham, which is close to Hunter is a lot nicer and just far enough to keep the city folk away. Never been to Whiteface, but have been to Gore which is okay. In VT, Stratton is great and Sugarbush is AWESOME! The party is great at Killington but I hate that mountain (as a snowboarder, it just seems like no matter where you go, you end up on a catwalk).

Windham, which is close to Hunter is a lot nicer and just far enough to keep the city folk away. Never been to Whiteface, but have been to Gore which is okay. In VT, Stratton is great and Sugarbush is AWESOME! The party is great at Killington but I hate that mountain (as a snowboarder, it just seems like no matter where you go, you end up on a catwalk).

Thanks for the tip!

Gore is the best mountain in NYS. Love Whiteface, but I'm a racer, so I dig the ice. Been to Windham twice for races and I loved it. Wouldn't mind going back but I just love Gore and Iceface so much. I've skied everything in Vermont and Killington(yeah yeah I know its over crowded) is my favorite. Stratton is great and so are Okemo and Mt. Snow. Pico is right across the street from Killington and its never crowded and very beginner friendly. Vermont rocks if you can get past the awful pizza and wings.

Our curlers are AWFUL. Men and women. I'm pretty sure SS could put together four people, practice for four years, and make a serious run at representing USA next year.

By the way, if ever there was a sport begging for mixed (coed) teams, this is the one.

I'm pretty sure we could practice for 4 weeks and be better.

mixed curling league , Tuesday nights 6:45 and 9:00 pm true.. In southern Ontario there are 150,000 registered curlers. Challenge anyone to try it, it a great game.

I always say I want to go and never have. I LOVE it. It's got strategy, math, and cute girls yelling, "Hard!"

I always wonder what sports could I beat the best player at over a short stint. 18 against Tiger Woods....no way. 3 holes? maybe once in a blue moon. Lebron one-on-one to 11.....no way. A game of Horse....maybe once in a blue moon. Curling though.....something tells me like Eleven said.....if you really work on it, you can probably take them out over a match.

I always say I want to go and never have. I LOVE it. It's got strategy, math, and cute girls yelling, "Hard!"

I always wonder what sports could I beat the best player at over a short stint. 18 against Tiger Woods....no way. 3 holes? maybe once in a blue moon. Lebron one-on-one to 11.....no way. A game of Horse....maybe once in a blue moon. Curling though.....something tells me like Eleven said.....if you really work on it, you can probably take them out over a match.

You should take a pottery class. Cute girls (often braless because sorta hippy chicks) making mugs are worth a watch... especially when they make a mug handle. You have to keep wetting and pulling that cylinder of clay to make it longer and taper it...

Snowboarder dude's dreads spin around his head like tentacles. Then his pants fell down. Apparently he keeps a raw egg in his pocket (cool runnings homage). Well, he scrambled it pretty good on his first run. I bet he's a fan of recent Colorado lawmaking.

Curling has got to be the best sport to be involved in for the Olympics. All these other sports, if you fall on a jump, trip on a routine, flinch your arm on the starting line.......... you're done. All that time, travel, money wasted because of one silly mistake. In curling, no matter how bad you are, you get to play no less than 10 matches at well over an hour a piece over the course of almost two weeks. You get a chance to take it all in, enjoy the Games, explore the city (what little Sochi has provided). Plus, no major injuries.

Curling has got to be the best sport to be involved in for the Olympics. All these other sports, if you fall on a jump, trip on a routine, flinch your arm on the starting line.......... you're done. All that time, travel, money wasted because of one silly mistake. In curling, no matter how bad you are, you get to play no less than 10 matches at well over an hour a piece over the course of almost two weeks. You get a chance to take it all in, enjoy the Games, explore the city (what little Sochi has provided). Plus, no major injuries.

Awesome.

If I was in an Olympic city, I'd probably spend the most time watching curling. Tickets are probably crazy to Figure Skating and Hockey...so I'd maybe get tickets to the Pairs prelims and Belarus vs Latvia in hockey to save cash....but value-wise, I'd have fun at the curling matches. Do they sell beer there? Then it's a no-brainer.

You should take a pottery class. Cute girls (often braless because sorta hippy chicks) making mugs are worth a watch... especially when they make a mug handle. You have to keep wetting and pulling that cylinder of clay to make it longer and taper it...

Schmoopie!!!........Schmoopie!!!!!.....save me d4rk.......she's talking nonsense.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.