Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

I don't think that's entirely fair, though... no denying that artistry / style / flair counts in all of those events, but there's also a huge technical aspect as far as level of difficulty for each jump / trick / etc attempted. So while it's not as clear-cut as a hockey score, it's not entirely subjective, either.

Other than the possible corruption of judges, you can usually "feel" when someone is making a medal level skate. They are just so crisp and balanced. Athletes and a sport for sure.

Speaking of sports, Westminster show on tonight and tomorrow. That is on my bucket list for sure.

Other than the possible corruption of judges, you can usually "feel" when someone is making a medal level skate. They are just so crisp and balanced. Athletes and a sport for sure.

Speaking of sports, Westminster show on tonight and tomorrow. That is on my bucket list for sure.

me and the pup gonna have to record olympics i guess

I don't think that's entirely fair, though... no denying that artistry / style / flair counts in all of those events, but there's also a huge technical aspect as far as level of difficulty for each jump / trick / etc attempted. So while it's not as clear-cut as a hockey score, it's not entirely subjective, either.

I understand the multipliers and the technical stuff. There are difficult ballet jumps. There are difficult double bass passages.

Still not a sport.

Does it help if I include diving?

I understand the multipliers and the technical stuff. There are difficult ballet jumps. There are difficult double bass passages.

Still not a sport.

Does it help if I include diving?

Honestly, I take more umbrage at the inclusion of skiing and snowboarding than I do figure skating, but I'm using the same argument for them all.

And I get the art thing, but a difficult bass passage is technical skill and not athleticism.

Honestly, I take more umbrage at the inclusion of skiing and snowboarding than I do figure skating, but I'm using the same argument for them all.

And I get the art thing, but a difficult bass passage is technical skill and not athleticism.

You pull those strings back, put your thigh into the body of the instrument, etc. sometime and tell me it doesn't take strength. Or hold a 2.5 foot bow at one end with your fingertips for three hours. Let me know.

I have the same problems with "style"-oriented snow sports, by the way.

Edited by Eleven

You pull those strings back, put your thigh into the body of the instrument, etc. sometime and tell me it doesn't take strength. Or hold a 2.5 foot bow at one end with your fingertips for three hours. Let me know.

I have the same problems with "style"-oriented snow sports, by the way.

I've argued for years that marching band requires athleticism (former clarinet player), but I'd have a hard time equating it to figure skating, snowboarding, etc. <shrugs> Agree to disagree, I guess. Mostly semantics, anyhow.

I've been. It's a trip. Just like when you can feel a medal skate, when you see them in person, you just know which dog is going to win. They have a shimmer or aura and you just know.

I've been. It's a trip. Just like when you can feel a medal skate, when you see them in person, you just know which dog is going to win. They have a shimmer or aura and you just know.

That's sweet. I am a big fan of rescue dogs, but appreciate the sport and class of it. The human personalities seem to have been nailed in the movie Best in Show.

I'm pretty good at picking a favorite on TV. I loved the bloodhound tonight and he seemed easy to pick. The last group was 7 or 8 with the only standout being the Cavalier Spaniel. I think they gave it to the Miniature Pincher on reputation.

I have to go one year!

I've argued for years that marching band requires athleticism (former clarinet player), but I'd have a hard time equating it to figure skating, snowboarding, etc. <shrugs> Agree to disagree, I guess. Mostly semantics, anyhow.

Definitely semantics.

I'll say that marching band can be athletic. Ever seen the Ohio State Marching Band? I have friends who march with them, they have grueling practices/conditioning, and I was lucky enough to perform with them once. Holy crap, those kids are in good shape. As a former section leader (sax) and occasional drummer (quads), I can say it was tough- tougher to play the wind instruments because circular breathing, control, marching, blah blah blah. And again, under my super broad definition, it's a sport :) Semantics shemantics. I played piano 15 years and though I would never call it a sport by traditional sense, yet I guess it fits my broad definition as well. I never hit the treadmill to get better at playing Rachmaninoff or Joplin.

My main issue with the sport v non sport was the superiority complex. I think I'm past caring beyond that now haha

Definitely semantics.

I'll say that marching band can be athletic. Ever seen the Ohio State Marching Band? I have friends who march with them, they have grueling practices/conditioning, and I was lucky enough to perform with them once. Holy crap, those kids are in good shape. As a former section leader (sax) and occasional drummer (quads), I can say it was tough- tougher to play the wind instruments because circular breathing, control, marching, blah blah blah. And again, under my super broad definition, it's a sport :) Semantics shemantics. I played piano 15 years and though I would never call it a sport by traditional sense, yet I guess it fits my broad definition as well. I never hit the treadmill to get better at playing Rachmaninoff or Joplin.

My main issue with the sport v non sport was the superiority complex. I think I'm past caring beyond that now haha

:)

Definitely semantics.

NO superiority complex here.

The long track stuff looks so peaceful.

It really does. They look so incredibly zen until the final lap and suddenly their eyes are bulging and you experience sympathetic lung burn for them. But that ice... oh man, it looks so inviting and beautiful.

She just qualified for the Semis and came in 2nd overall in the Quarters run!!

She made it to the Finals!! My whole family is crying their eyes out! She was one 100th of a second behind 1st place in Semis. No American has ever had a medal in this race - Go Sophie Caldwell!!!!!!!!!!

The US Men's curling team lost to China this morning. There might not be an Olympic athlete I despise more than skip John Shuster. The guy always squeaks out of US qualifying to make the team and has spent the last twelve years finding new ways to choke in the Olympics. Pete Fenson and his goatee are the better US skip and he lead Shuster to bronze in 2006.

Choke choke choke.

She made it to the Finals!! My whole family is crying their eyes out! She was one 100th of a second behind 1st place in Semis. No American has ever had a medal in this race - Go Sophie Caldwell!!!!!!!!!!

Well, she clipped someone's pole in the Finals and fell, ugh. She ended up 6th and it was the best finish for an American in the history of the event - not too shabby.

Watching Russia v Japan in Women's hockey. I can't believe they disallowed the JPN goal. It was in but they said nope. Still a pretty good game. Giving me something to do on my snow day.

Was that the goal JUDGE that determined it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.