Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

Not into figure skating at all, but when I was about to change the channel an Italian skated to music by Queen. Granted, it was toned down and instrumental, but it was still cool to hear in figure skating. The Italian's ice dance is over now, so the channel has been changed.

Go USA! Women's hockey is fun to watch. Pretty impressed to be honest. Still can't wait for men's hockey to get going. Any word on who's starting for Team USA? If Miller isn't named the starter, the argument of Team USA's officials/coaches over thinking will continue. Very disappointed Bobby Ryan was left off the roster.

Edited by thanes16

Not into figure skating at all, but when I was about to change the channel an Italian skated to music by Queen. Granted, it was toned down and instrumental, but it was still cool to hear in figure skating. The Italian's ice dance is over now, so the channel has been changed.

Go USA! Women's hockey is fun to watch. Pretty impressed to be honest. Still can't wait for men's hockey to get going. Any word on who's starting for Team USA? If Miller isn't named the starter, the argument of Team USA's officials/coaches over thinking will continue. Very disappointed Bobby Ryan was left off the roster.

I saw that, that was from the soundtrack of "Highlander"...good tune!

I saw that, that was from the soundtrack of "Highlander"...good tune!

Yep, having watched Highlander countless times is the reason I caught that! Great movie. Hope a remake is never made. I do think it's cool when a figure skater chooses music that is not the norm.

Yep, having watched Highlander countless times is the reason I caught that! Great movie. Hope a remake is never made. I do think it's cool when a figure skater chooses music that is not the norm.

I'm surprised we haven't heard Bronski beat from one of the skaters.

I'm reminded of the John Winger comment at the Army recruiters station in "Stripes"..."you mean like flaming...?" Don't get me wrong, Johnny Weir knows his business and life is a beautiful thing.

He a solid analyst, no doubt.

Not sure which crash you saw, because two guys crashed today. A slovak and a french ski jumper. In any case, both guys are fine. Slovak has a broken nose and french guy has torn his right knee ligaments.

I'm not sure, either... the video was only titled "harrowing ski flying crash" and they didn't have anything in the video that said who it was. It looked like bib #59, which I think was a Japanese guy. He went down so hard... crashed high on the slope and rolled the whole way down with his helmet coming off pretty early. Yeesh.

Edit: Maybe that video was of the Austrian who crashed in Jan. Same bib # here (I thought since the video was dated yesterday it was a new crash): http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Olympian-Thomas-Morgenstern-horrific-ski-jump-crash-2014/tabid/415/articleID/328038/Default.aspx

Edited by biodork

I'm thinking with Harbor Center and FNC that Buffalo could potentially become a magnet for training for Olympic figure skaters from all nations. In the TV commentary, it's been noted several times that many of these international competitors train in Michigan. Why not Buffalo?

Edited by phil_soisson

I would guess, and I could be wrong, but the US will not name a starter until after they practice and shortly before their first game.

He carries that Russian ballet"esque" flair too. Wish Grigorenko could skate like that.

He was raised in what I call a figure skating gulag- taken from his family very young. As a little boy he was stretched so he could perform moves no other male figure skater could (like the scorpion). I loved him growing up- was always happy when he outskated Alexei Yagudin. Apparently he's become quite an arrogant dick lately, and really shouldn't be on the team. Another skater supposedly outscored him in qualification but Russia has a ###### for him, so, here he is, his last shot for gold.

Announcer for the men's cross country ski was absolutely losing his mind over the final push. Was it cross country ski? I don't know- I honestly don't know the differences between all the skiing disciplines.

He was raised in what I call a figure skating gulag- taken from his family very young. As a little boy he was stretched so he could perform moves no other male figure skater could (like the scorpion). I loved him growing up- was always happy when he outskated Alexei Yagudin. Apparently he's become quite an arrogant dick lately, and really shouldn't be on the team. Another skater supposedly outscored him in qualification but Russia has a ###### for him, so, here he is, his last shot for gold.

Announcer for the men's cross country ski was absolutely losing his mind over the final push. Was it cross country ski? I don't know- I honestly don't know the differences between all the skiing disciplines.

Yeah, the cross country skiing announcer goes insane when the leaders get to the finish line...I like his energy!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.