Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

I think Patty's entire job is to give a crap about the players. If their plan is to play Enroth as a backup and he doesn't want to do that, is that a good situation? Is that something you want hanging over the lockerroom?

At what point does a goalie decide he's tired of "being a good teammate"?

Well, if he makes that decision going into his UFA year, and holds out or pouts publicly during that year, after going something like 5-25 the prior year (he's 1-14 now, and presumably will get most of the starts after Miller is traded) -- he's a bloody idiot.

As for bringing in Thomas or Halak or someone like that next year: I would be in favor of doing so. There is a distinct possibility that Enroth will wash out as the #1 and while I know many here want another tank season next year, I think a team losing too much due to bad, untrustworthy goaltending is likely to "bake in" bad habits and bad vibes into the team.

Edited by nfreeman

Feelings ain't no democracy.......backup goalies don't get to have feelings.

He takes the #1 job and makes the GMs job easy. That simple.

Or he leaves for Europe.

I think we're talking past each other here. A goalie situation isn't this simple. If Miller leaves and Enroth is snubbed for the starting job, there are going to be problems. He could leave for Europe I suppose. But if the idea is that he has to earn a starting job he feels he's already paid his dues to earn an unchallenged shot at, you're setting him up to flame out in extraordinary fashion. If Enroth doesn't get a crack at the starting job you might as well just do everyone a favor and pass him on to someone else. You don't want a goalie that doesn't give a crap about the team they're playing on anywhere near that team. That becomes cancerous.

Well, if he makes that decision going into his UFA year, and holds out or pouts publicly during that year, after going something like 5-25 the prior year (he's 1-14 now, and presumably will get most of the starts after Miller is traded) -- he's a bloody idiot.

I won't make any claims that Enroth is willing to do the cautious and smart thing. I think he wants to start. Not getting that shot could make him go off.

Enroth signed a very team-friendly two-year deal with the understanding he would get his shot after Miller was gone, and his eyes on a massive payoff as a UFA at the end of next year.If he's automatically backing up a Halak I would expect him to be upset. Given an equal shot with a Halak and failing, he'd have no one to blame but himself.

I can not put my final hammer on enroth.

It's a difficult job for a goalie to play ...wait 10 days...play again...wait 6 days play again...wait 12 days ... play again..

If I remember correctly when Miller was injured and he played many games in a row, he found his zone and was on top of his game night in and night out.

I think you're remembering Biron when Miller broke his thumb years back, but there could be a stretch I'm forgetting (maybe after the Lucic incident when Miller had the concussion?).

I'm an old-school guy who believes a team should have an upper-echelon goalie.

I like Jhonas. Best back-up this team has had since Marty, may even be good enough to be a decent NHL starter on a lockdown team like the Blues.

But he is not the answer for this team long-term.

Agreed. IMO, Enroth = Ryan Fitzpatrick

I think you're remembering Biron when Miller broke his thumb years back, but there could be a stretch I'm forgetting (maybe after the Lucic incident when Miller had the concussion?).

Agreed. IMO, Enroth = Ryan Fitzpatrick

I think he's a slightly more talented Mika Noronen.

I don't think Enroth is in a very happy mental space right now and it is affecting his game. I think Enroth is as frustrated as anyone with the team. Let's see what he's like in Sochi.

He is a quirky fellow, and still immature as a team-player goes. His recent comments suggest he does not feel any solidarity with the roster, which, is not a good thing for any goalie, IMHO.

I am beginning to lean toward the idea that Miller will be traded and Enroth will be the starter next season, unless his Olympic/post-Olympic play raises his value and he is part of a package deal.

I don't think Enroth is in a very happy mental space right now and it is affecting his game. I think Enroth is as frustrated as anyone with the team. Let's see what he's like in Sochi.

He is a quirky fellow, and still immature as a team-player goes. His recent comments suggest he does not feel any solidarity with the roster, which, is not a good thing for any goalie, IMHO.

I am beginning to lean toward the idea that Miller will be traded and Enroth will be the starter next season, unless his Olympic/post-Olympic play raises his value and he is part of a package deal.

I don't think Enroth is even going to see the ice anytime in Sochi

He is going to be fighting to get the backup job behind Lundqvist

Enroth signed a very team-friendly two-year deal with the understanding he would get his shot after Miller was gone, and his eyes on a massive payoff as a UFA at the end of next year.If he's automatically backing up a Halak I would expect him to be upset. Given an equal shot with a Halak and failing, he'd have no one to blame but himself.

We could always take Halak in the Miller deal as a salary dump to St. Louis then flip him to Edmonton for..........whatever......

This is getting stupid. Enroth is a perfectly good #1 goalie on a team that's in the bottom third of the league, because that's where he'll lead them. Miller fought through Biron and Noronen, both of whom are above average goalies, and during that, he did NOT get regular starts, and he grabbed the starting job. He was, and is, a "franchise goalie." If you can't see that, I really don't even want to discuss it anymore.

As for Enroth, he has a lot to prove. He's really not great--he can be good, but nights like last night (and I know Miller has down nights, but he has a body of work that Enroth doesn't have, and NO, Miller did NOT have that body of work when anointed the starter). When Enroth can show me that night in, night out, he can be the difference in a game, fine. Until then? He's JAG. Miller has been the difference in so many games; Enroth, a few.

Get perspective.

This is getting stupid. Enroth is a perfectly good #1 goalie on a team that's in the bottom third of the league, because that's where he'll lead them. Miller fought through Biron and Noronen, both of whom are above average goalies, and during that, he did NOT get regular starts, and he grabbed the starting job. He was, and is, a "franchise goalie." If you can't see that, I really don't even want to discuss it anymore.

As for Enroth, he has a lot to prove. He's really not great--he can be good, but nights like last night (and I know Miller has down nights, but he has a body of work that Enroth doesn't have, and NO, Miller did NOT have that body of work when anointed the starter). When Enroth can show me that night in, night out, he can be the difference in a game, fine. Until then? He's JAG. Miller has been the difference in so many games; Enroth, a few.

Get perspective.

It's a battle you cannot win my friend.

It's a battle you cannot win my friend.

Really, there is no argument that ETHRON (I helped that get going, just so you all know I love the kid) can supplant Miller. It's just not there. If that's where people are going, I'll just drop out of the thread, because that's really stupid.

Edited by Eleven

Enroth has ok positioning but it seems like he relies more on his reflexes and he sometimes kicks out rebounds into bad areas because of the last second reflex saves, his size is an issue and he is pretty weak high glove, he was also pretty bad 5 hole, but he has seemed to have remedied that pretty well, as a goalie you shouldn't let goals in over your head ever.... I think you'll get average performances from him with a few really good and a few clunkers mixed in.... I think he deserves a shot depending on who we get back for miller and etc..... But I don't expect him to carry the team in any regards

Get perspective.

It's tough to show any kind of consistency when he only gets maybe one opportunity per week. There is only one way for him to prove he can or can't do it night in and night out and that is to be given the chance to succeed Miller.

It's tough to show any kind of consistency when he only gets maybe one opportunity per week. There is only one way for him to prove he can or can't do it night in and night out and that is to be given the chance to succeed Miller.

nah...

He's getting chances. It's tough if you are getting 1 out of 10 of the starts, but Enroth has been getting about 1 out of 3.

And he's played pretty well....I think you've seen his high end already.

Edited by X. Benedict

Really, there is no argument that ETHRON (I helped that get going, just so you all know I love the kid) can supplant Miller. It's just not there. If that's where people are going, I'll just drop out of the thread, because that's really stupid.

I don't believe people think he can supplant Miller. I believe a majority of us don't look through rose colored glasses and see the writing on the wall. Miller is as good as gone. You don't sell your nearly 1 million dollar condo then wait till the last second to sign a contract with the team. He's gone man, outta here, hitting the road. It's reality, the sooner many except it, the sooner we can move along with the rebuild.

Enroth can step in as the starter until the net minder situation is addressed down the road. Remember, we have another season to tank yet, so there is time for the likes of Ullmark and Makarov to develop a bit.

Get perspective.

(11) :blush:

Edited by inkman

I don't believe people think he can supplant Miller. I believe a majority of us don't look through rose colored glasses and see the writing on the wall. Miller is as good as gone. You don't sell your nearly 1 million dollar condo then wait till the last second to sign a contract with the team. He's gone man, outta here, hitting the road. It's reality, the sooner many except it, the sooner we can move along with the rebuild.

Enroth can step in as the starter until the net minder situation is addressed down the road. Remember, we have another season to tank yet, so there is time for the likes of Ullmark and Makarov to develop a bit.

I guess the problem here is that the writing isn't really on the wall at all. It's more of a belief.

I guess the problem here is that the writing isn't really on the wall at all. It's more of a belief.

Well, let me restate it then. It's more of a conclusion based on his actions to date. I see no reason why it's hard to believe however, especially after he dumped the condo with no new long term living quarters in the area. That is a very telling sign right there. Not to mention, normally players such as Miller if there was a real chance of re-signing, don't get thrown into the trade equation. I.E. Murray stating they are all for sale is the price is right.

There's the situation with making Buffalo a destination for players, retaining Miller I'd have to believe is paramount in order to make that happen (again by the way) and I don't see it happening with a full on "dump the vets and UFA's" policy they've switched to. Common sense would dictate he's outta here in my opinion.

Get perspective.

Yep. Can't disagree. Don't drop out yet.

Is Tim Thomas available after this year? He's a million years old and still very good.

That'll work for a few years. Edited by wonderbread

Well, let me restate it then. It's more of a conclusion based on his actions to date. I see no reason why it's hard to believe however, especially after he dumped the condo with no new long term living quarters in the area. That is a very telling sign right there. Not to mention, normally players such as Miller if there was a real chance of re-signing, don't get thrown into the trade equation. I.E. Murray stating they are all for sale is the price is right.

There's the situation with making Buffalo a destination for players, retaining Miller I'd have to believe is paramount in order to make that happen (again by the way) and I don't see it happening with a full on "dump the vets and UFA's" policy they've switched to. Common sense would dictate he's outta here in my opinion.

I think I read a while back that he'd already planned to sell his place before his contract was up just to make sure he wasn't stuck with it, which is believable. And I wouldn't say him not having purchased another place yet as a sign he's checked-out; it makes a lot of sense because 1) he knows he can be traded, and 2) even if he's open to staying, I'm sure he wanted to see what happens with the team this year and whether management would offer a contract or let him hit FA. I won't be surprised if he ends up leaving Buffalo, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.