Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

You want us to pick forwards with every draft pick we have? I would love to pick up thatcher Demko this draft.

Gosh that would be awesome!

Also if Darcy taught us anything it is to not go one position heavy! We lose defensemen in the playoffs and dont have many good ones on the farm and waht happens all we take is good defensemen for what seems like forever. Now we have 7 guys on the team or in the system who are supposed to be top pairing d men in the next 2-3 years. Meanwhile we only have 3-4 forward prospects who look like they will be in the top 6 one day. IT HAS TO BE BALANCED!

This organization should be looking for a young goalie coming back in at least one of the fire sale trades.

And using one of our many seconds to grab another.

Someone to compete with Enroth and Hackett now and someone to compete with Ullmark and Peterson in the future.

I think you need at least one vet as an option in net. But that's just my bias.

If the Sabres trade Miller and a goalie comes back who starts over Enroth, does Enroth say "Trade me right f*cking now!"?

Because I would have to think that would be his reaction.

Trade him? What do you think his value is right now?

Try this drill: Find one team that would pick up Enroth right now if you waived him?

You want us to pick forwards with every draft pick we have? I would love to pick up thatcher Demko this draft.

Through rounds 1 and 2 this year, yes. Hell if we get lucky Alex Tuch will be sitting their when we draft 32nd overall. Reid Gardiner would be another player in the mid 2nd round I wouldn't mind seeing drafted. Clark Bishop late in the 2nd wouldn't be bad. Nick Magyar, Emil Aronsson... all players that should be available in the 2nd round and all players I would love to have in the system.

Try this drill: Find one team that would pick up Enroth right now if you waived him?

Philly, Washington, Edmonton, Islanders... I am sure there are others but those jump out at me.

I think if you have a goalie that is saying F you to management, he gets traded to the highest bidder no matter what the price.

Philly would definitely claim him. Detroit might with all of their injury problems this year. Florida as well. The Islanders? Why not.

He'd get picked up. I just think bringing in a new starter right away without him being given what he would consider to be a fair chance to take the spot would sour him pretty quick. He was reluctant to even re-sign with the Sabre a few years ago wasn't he? But Darcy cited there being no market for him as a reason he didn't leave?

Through rounds 1 and 2 this year, yes. Hell if we get lucky Alex Tuch will be sitting their when we draft 32nd overall. Reid Gardiner would be another player in the mid 2nd round I wouldn't mind seeing drafted. Clark Bishop late in the 2nd wouldn't be bad. Nick Magyar, Emil Aronsson... all players that should be available in the 2nd round and all players I would love to have in the system.

Philly, Washington, Edmonton, Islanders... I am sure there are others but those jump out at me.

So Edmonton would have to in turn waive or trade Bryz or Scrivens....Washington: Holtby or Neuvirth... Philly: Mason or Emery.....Isles......well that leaves the Isles....but with Snow there is no predicting what they would do.

My point is only he has little trade value without an injury somewhere in the league.

Edited by X. Benedict

So Edmonton would have to in turn waive or trade Bryz or Scrivens....Washington: Holtby or Neuvirth... Philly: Mason or Emery.....Isles......well that leaves the Isles....but with Snow there is no predicting what they would do.

My point is only he has little trade value without an injury somewhere in the league.

You didn't ask what his trade value you was you asked if a team would claim him off waivers and I tossed out several.

I think if you have a goalie that is saying F you to management, he gets traded to the highest bidder no matter what the price.

Philly would definitely claim him. Detroit might with all of their injury problems this year. Florida as well. The Islanders? Why not.

He'd get picked up. I just think bringing in a new starter right away without him being given what he would consider to be a fair chance to take the spot would sour him pretty quick. He was reluctant to even re-sign with the Sabre a few years ago wasn't he? But Darcy cited there being no market for him as a reason he didn't leave?

I think he'd probably get picked up, but it's not a sure thing. As in the trade context, the goalie market tends to be much less fluid than it is for non-goalies.

More importantly, though, I am pretty sure that TM and PLF, in formulating their goalie plans for next year, don't really give a crap what Enroth's reaction is.

True. But my line of thinking is that value starts with the waiver wire on up. If your market is only the NYI. There is no trade market.

I don't think there is much of a trade market for him because of how his play has been these last couple months. I think several teams would take him off waivers though.

I think he'd probably get picked up, but it's not a sure thing. As in the trade context, the goalie market tends to be much less fluid than it is for non-goalies.

More importantly, though, I am pretty sure that TM and PLF, in formulating their goalie plans for next year, don't really give a crap what Enroth's reaction is.

Most coaches don't give a rat's sphincter about goalie feelings, let alone the GM.

I think Patty's entire job is to give a crap about the players. If their plan is to play Enroth as a backup and he doesn't want to do that, is that a good situation? Is that something you want hanging over the lockerroom?

At what point does a goalie decide he's tired of "being a good teammate"?

Murray has said you go free agency to put your team over the top.

Pretty sure we are expecting another "off" year, but still want to make progress.

I can see a 50/32 split with Enroth and another goalie...either way. I'm sure he'd be fine with a hot hand scenario. With Miller you know you are getting 15 games. At least if Halak or Holtby comes here...Enroth still has a chance to get the majority of the work.

My guess is the Sabres do this in moving Miller, then go into FA or the trade market in 2 years to get a steadier name if nobody really takes hold of the #1.

Murray has said you go free agency to put your team over the top.

Pretty sure we are expecting another "off" year, but still want to make progress.

I can see a 50/32 split with Enroth and another goalie...either way. I'm sure he'd be fine with a hot hand scenario. With Miller you know you are getting 15 games. At least if Halak or Holtby comes here...Enroth still has a chance to get the majority of the work.

My guess is the Sabres do this in moving Miller, then go into FA or the trade market in 2 years to get a steadier name if nobody really takes hold of the #1.

I think if the Sabres do go to the split goalie route, or goalie purgatory, it's going to be a lot longer than three years before we have another full fledged starter. How long did it take to replace Hasek? He left in 2001. Miller didn't take control until the 2005-06 season. Four seasons (one of which was a lockout). We're probably looking at a similar scenario right now.

I think Patty's entire job is to give a crap about the players. If their plan is to play Enroth as a backup and he doesn't want to do that, is that a good situation? Is that something you want hanging over the lockerroom?

At what point does a goalie decide he's tired of "being a good teammate"?

Feelings ain't no democracy.......backup goalies don't get to have feelings.

He takes the #1 job and makes the GMs job easy. That simple.

Or he leaves for Europe.

But all Stanley Cup teams have legitimate starting gt. Washington failed at winning playoffs because of crap gt, Philly too. Niemi, Crawford, fleury, Thomas all were good and all but Thomas have been good since. Quick has been okay since. I think you need a gt that can play at a higher level and I think Miller gives you that option. I think Enroth is not.

I think last year's Blackhawks still win if they have Enroth instead of Crawford.

After his last two starts, I knew we were going to get a thread like this. The guy had been pretty great for 8-10 starts before that but had the worst goal support I've ever seen for a Sabres goalie. Meanwhile the big push to re-sign Miller has also died down recently because he's been mortal in his last few starts.

I'm still comfortable giving him next year to be our no.1 if it comes to that. It's more likely he's a bridge goalie (like Biron) than a long term solution, but I'm OK with that. We're not desperate to win next year. It would also be good to build a team that can win without spectacular goaltending. Miller has been hiding/minimizing a lot of our flaws for years now and if we're ever going to contend, we need an honest look at what our forwards and defense can do.

All that said, if we trade Miller and then re-sign him in the offseason, that's fine by me too. (And, really, that'll just come down to what he wants. The Sabres can afford to blow him away with a $10M/year offer that no one else would ever consider. But does he want to finish up in Buffalo?)

Disagree, especially on the 2nd part. We should be drafting good solid scoring forwards with the 2nd round picks. No reason to draft GT when we have 3 already in the system showing potential. They should do what they did last year and draft a GT in the 4th or later rounds. For isntance Cal Petersen in the 5th round last year is exactly the type of thing to look for. Linus Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Miller was a 5th rounder.

As for trades, if that was an add on (a decent young gt) than fine. If it is a major piece (Miller for Allen and a late pick (3rd or later)) than screw that.

We drafted three scoring forwards, plus Baptiste last year, Grigs and Girgs the year before, and our top two picks this year should be forwards. With 14 picks in the top two rounds over three years, one of them can't be goalie?

You can't draft a guy in the sixth and immediately anoint him as the next one any more than you can say Connor Hurley is going to replace Jason Pominville. It's just as likely that he will be Mike Ryan. It's one thing to get lucky with a Miller, it another to count on it happening.

And yes, Thatcher with the Blues first or Oilers second would make my draft day.

I think you need at least one vet as an option in net. But that's just my bias.

I think you need to give Enroth his chance, but you also need a fallback option because Hackett doesn't seem like he's it.

I'd rather have an Allen-type to come in to compete with him (think Bernier/Reimer) than a Halak, but it's a lot easier to acquire a Halak.

I think last year's Blackhawks still win if they have Enroth instead of Crawford.

After his last two starts, I knew we were going to get a thread like this. The guy had been pretty great for 8-10 starts before that but had the worst goal support I've ever seen for a Sabres goalie. Meanwhile the big push to re-sign Miller has also died down recently because he's been mortal in his last few starts.

I'm still comfortable giving him next year to be our no.1 if it comes to that. It's more likely he's a bridge goalie (like Biron) than a long term solution, but I'm OK with that. We're not desperate to win next year. It would also be good to build a team that can win without spectacular goaltending. Miller has been hiding/minimizing a lot of our flaws for years now and if we're ever going to contend, we need an honest look at what our forwards and defense can do.

All that said, if we trade Miller and then re-sign him in the offseason, that's fine by me too. (And, really, that'll just come down to what he wants. The Sabres can afford to blow him away with a $10M/year offer that no one else would ever consider. But does he want to finish up in Buffalo?)

I'd like to see a trade. Miller deserves a chance at the postseason. Murray needs to make some lines to make this train go. Murray needs to shop him.

Is Tim Thomas available after this year? He's a million years old and still very good.

that would work.

We drafted three scoring forwards, plus Baptiste last year, Grigs and Girgs the year before, and our top two picks this year should be forwards. With 14 picks in the top two rounds over three years, one of them can't be goalie?

You can't draft a guy in the sixth and immediately anoint him as the next one any more than you can say Connor Hurley is going to replace Jason Pominville. It's just as likely that he will be Mike Ryan. It's one thing to get lucky with a Miller, it another to count on it happening.

And yes, Thatcher with the Blues first or Oilers second would make my draft day.

I think you need to give Enroth his chance, but you also need a fallback option because Hackett doesn't seem like he's it.

I'd rather have an Allen-type to come in to compete with him (think Bernier/Reimer) than a Halak, but it's a lot easier to acquire a Halak.

Enroth is on pace for 27 starts...that's not nothing. But sure - trade Miller and ride him. It's not like Buffalo has anything to lose.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.