Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

How many Cups have the Rangers won in the last 8 years? Vancouver?

The same number as Washington, Filly, and Toronto.

Are you trying to argue that Miller is the only player that determines the Sabres success?

Would you get your thesis done already?

Yep. Just riffing on the big-market Filly plan of never having any goaltending.

So our only two choices are either (1) keep Ryan Miller forever or (2) never have a good goaltender ever again? Also, I'm not sure when I've seen anyone arguing that Enroth is better than Miller or that we should adopt the Flyers' plan of never having any goaltending. Maybe I'm not reading these goalie threads closely enough.

If one of the arguments for keeping Miller is that we don't know who is going to step up and be our goalie with him gone, we're basically never going to be able to solve that. How many teams move on from a franchise goalie and immediately have another franchise goalie right there? The Sabres didn't when Hasek left and they wouldn't if Miller is gone after this year. Even if they re-sign Miller for 5 more years, a lot of fans won't be comfortable watching him leave at the end of that. (Unless his play completely falls off from ages 34-38, and we're just happy to see him ride off in the sunset by then.) At some point we'll have to take that leap.

The point is moot anyway since this is all up to Ryan Miller:

1. Does he want to finish this season in Buffalo? Probably not.

2. Would he want to re-sign in Buffalo as a free agent? Maybe. Who knows?

So our only two choices are either (1) keep Ryan Miller forever or (2) never have a good goaltender ever again? Also, I'm not sure when I've seen anyone arguing that Enroth is better than Miller or that we should adopt the Flyers' plan of never having any goaltending. Maybe I'm not reading these goalie threads closely enough.

If one of the arguments for keeping Miller is that we don't know who is going to step up and be our goalie with him gone, we're basically never going to be able to solve that. How many teams move on from a franchise goalie and immediately have another franchise goalie right there? The Sabres didn't when Hasek left and they wouldn't if Miller is gone after this year. Even if they re-sign Miller for 5 more years, a lot of fans won't be comfortable watching him leave at the end of that. (Unless his play completely falls off from ages 34-38, and we're just happy to see him ride off in the sunset by then.) At some point we'll have to take that leap.

The point is moot anyway since this is all up to Ryan Miller:

1. Does he want to finish this season in Buffalo? Probably not.

2. Would he want to re-sign in Buffalo as a free agent? Maybe. Who knows?

I'd like to keep the few pieces that fit, if at all possible.

With the salary cap progressively going up and our plethora of cap space, if we want him we could keep him. With the current state of the team rebuild and his age, i think it would probably take a cadillac contract something to the tune of 8X64, or somewhere in that league. The Sabres can afford it, the question is will they do it?

The next Miller? I want the next Crosby. Then you can get by with the next Fleury. Can we please break the small-market mindset of building from the goal out, keeping the puck out of the net, battening down the hatches and trying to get by on 2.5 goals a game? Red lights, please. Entertainment.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I don't care if our net minders give up 5 goals a game, as long as our boys score 6! Light the lamp!

I think Miller fits the Sabres, but maybe the Sabres don't fit Miller anymore. At least, that's my guess.

And if he's not willing to re-sign by the trade deadline, he has to go.

Yeah, that's the "if at all possible" part. I really hope LaF and Murray are able to convince him.

Yeah, that's the "if at all possible" part. I really hope LaF and Murray are able to convince him.

What are they going to say? "Don't worry, Ryan. I promise you that we'll be a good team again by the time you're 36."

Even the best case scenario -- where the Sabres trade him in March and then re-sign him in the Summer by throwing a massive amount of money at him -- seems super far fetched. Even if we offer Miller $2-3M more per season than the next highest bidder this Summer (which I could live with), how much is that really worth to Miller? If he has six seasons left, is he really going to want to write 1-2 of them off as rebuilding ones? I feel like he'd want to go somewhere to contend immediately and hope he's always on a contender until he retires.

The guy broke into the NHL with the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 Sabres. That was a long time ago and how desperate must he be to play on a loaded team again?

The guy broke into the NHL with the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 Sabres. That was a long time ago and how desperate must he be to play on a loaded team again?

OK, here comes the old contrarian and Devil's Advocate in me. Who's to say Ryan Miller, or any professional athlete, really cares about that (winning, winning a Cup, playing with talent)? In your scenario, you're asking him to leave over 10 million dollars on the table in order to play on a better team. How would any of us judge that trade (were we in his shoes)?

Edited by PASabreFan

OK, here comes the old contrarian and Devil's Advocate in me. Who's to say Ryan Miller, or any professional athlete, really cares about that (winning, winning a Cup, playing with talent)? In your scenario, you're asking him to leave over 10 million dollars on the table in order to play on a better team. How would any of us judge that trade (were we in his shoes)?

Right there with you on this. Plenty of players in plenty of sports have played on lesser teams for the money. Mario Williams comes to mind.

OK, here comes the old contrarian and Devil's Advocate in me. Who's to say Ryan Miller, or any professional athlete, really cares about that? In your scenario, you're asking him to leave over 10 million dollars on the table in order to play on a better team. How would any of us judge that trade?

Sure. If a company came along and offered to double my pay but specified that I couldn't see/contact anyone back home (ie. my parents and family) during my time there.

Doubling my pay would change my life more than Ryan Miller getting an extra $10M would change his life. But ultimately I'd pass because there's more at stake than just money. Miller's window to win the Cup is closing. Extra money will be little comfort when he's old and wishes he could have had just one more chance.

Sabres trade incoming...................

"Trade not announced during Stadium Series game, so not to distract from the event..."

Done by tomorrow

Something going down, whether it's Moulson, Miller, I don't know. But I trust the information, it's from a poster on another board that has brought forth legit information from the Sabres organization before.

Sabres trade incoming...................

"Trade not announced during Stadium Series game, so not to distract from the event..."

Done by tomorrow

Something going down, whether it's Moulson, Miller, I don't know. But I trust the information, it's from a poster on another board that has brought forth legit information from the Sabres organization before.

Very interesting, but not sure why it's in this thread. "Unsubstantiated rumor" thread?

dang it, your right. can a mod please move my post to that thread, and sorry, I'll look more closely next time.

Just delete and re-post.

And let us know if you hear anything else. You're not a BSer, so you've definitely got my hopes up.

I hesitate to link to another board, I will PM the information. I trust the poster implicitly since they have indeed brought forth legit Sabres information before. Tuesday Presser is what I'm seeing.

I'll send you the link via PM.

PM me too if you've got something.

I'm skeptical about waiting until Tuesday to announce anything since we have a game tomorrow with Pittsburgh.

I hesitate to link to another board, I will PM the information. I trust the poster implicitly since they have indeed brought forth legit Sabres information before. Tuesday Presser is what I'm seeing.

I'll send you the link via PM.

PM me, as well. I hesitate to believe any posters, but I'd like to take a look. There was actually a guy named "Homer" who commented on HockeyBuzz all the time that had legit Sabres info ALL the time. He would only post when he had something, but he hasn't posted since the hammer came down on Darcy so some believe he was directly connected with Darcy. Only time I've consistently visited that website is to find his comments, because I believed him.

If we start Enroth tomorrow, we'll have to change our Trade Alert Level.

Homeland-Security-Advisory-Wall-Charts-85545-ba.jpg

I'm interested to see which asset and what the return is. With TM running around doing interviews saying he's not interested in draft picks any more, but NHL or NHL ready talent, now that is what gets my eyebrow raised. I'd like to see some components come in that compliment these top end draft picks were going to get this year and next. Ya know......

Edited by HopefulFuture

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.