Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

I have been hoping that I see a consistency that shows that this guy can be a number 1 for Buffalo but I just don't see it happening. He has his moments but let's face it, this team is thinking one of two things:

1) Trade Miller and all but assure yourself of a top 3 pick next year

2) Do everything they can to make Miller happy and have one hell of an off-season.

I think we all know that they are leaning towards option 1 so I sure hope they have a solid plan to fill that tender spot eventually. I really don't think a lot people realize how valuable someone like Miller is to building a champion.

By the time this team is ready to compete again Millers days in the league will be numebred. There are some solid goaltending prospects in the Sabres system.. but Enroth just isn't #1 material...

Ya have to trade Miller and maintain the rebuild IMO. Way to late to turn back now.

Your also not going to bring in any top FA's with this team... So until the youth they've brought in starts to show promise and the Sabres are a playoff team with the youth movement in place... going fishing for high profile players is a waste of time.

Hopefully Miller can be traded for solid youth assets or picks or both to a team who is trying to win it all now and willing ot part with those assets for that chance.

Beat me to it -- I was thinking about starting an Enroth thread.

(If you feel like it, you might consider adding a poll, and asking whether people here think Enroth is good enough to be a #1 NHL goalie for a playoff team -- just a suggestion, as this is what I was thinking about doing.)

I think that Miller is probably gone and that if they don't bring in another goalie during the summer, that will mean they are planning on tanking again next season -- because IMHO they can't be looking at Enroth and thinking that he can carry the mail next year for a team that is trying to get into the playoffs.

I can not put my final hammer on enroth.

It's a difficult job for a goalie to play ...wait 10 days...play again...wait 6 days play again...wait 12 days ... play again..

If I remember correctly when Miller was injured and he played many games in a row, he found his zone and was on top of his game night in and night out.

I really don't think a lot people realize how valuable someone like Miller is to building a champion.

Is it really the ONE thing that all Stanley Cup Champs excelled at? Many of the post lock out winners has goalies that just went on fantastic runs during the playoffs and may not even be considered franchise goalies.

Is it really the ONE thing that all Stanley Cup Champs excelled at? Many of the post lock out winners has goalies that just went on fantastic runs during the playoffs and may not even be considered franchise goalies.

Definitely. It's all about the defense and the system for goaltenders lately.

But all Stanley Cup teams have legitimate starting gt. Washington failed at winning playoffs because of crap gt, Philly too. Niemi, Crawford, fleury, Thomas all were good and all but Thomas have been good since. Quick has been okay since. I think you need a gt that can play at a higher level and I think Miller gives you that option. I think Enroth is not.

I'm an old-school guy who believes a team should have an upper-echelon goalie.

I like Jhonas. Best back-up this team has had since Marty, may even be good enough to be a decent NHL starter on a lockdown team like the Blues.

But he is not the answer for this team long-term.

I see it as: Philly_average_GT < Enroth < Miller. I think Enroth tops out around where Miller is most years, but if I were fantasty betting I'd Enroth being Marty Biron 1.9 (not 2.0 because Enroth is too short, hey-oooh). He'll be good enough as a backup that people will think he's a starter, but when given the job he'll just barely not be good enough.

If Miller is traded there is most likely a goalie coming back. For example a trade with St. Louis......Halak or Eliot starts over Enroth.

Halak is straight up better. Ad Halak.

Elliot is about equal...but more experience and size. Ad...Elliot

Most trade scenarios I see this playing out.

Halak and/or Elliott are UFAs. So we could easily ship them off or not resign them in the offseason. If the team brings one back and doesn't move them, they might not start either simply because they may not be in the plans going forward.

This organization should be looking for a young goalie coming back in at least one of the fire sale trades.

And using one of our many seconds to grab another.

Someone to compete with Enroth and Hackett now and someone to compete with Ullmark and Peterson in the future.

This organization should be looking for a young goalie coming back in at least one of the fire sale trades.

And using one of our many seconds to grab another.

Someone to compete with Enroth and Hackett now and someone to compete with Ullmark and Peterson in the future.

Disagree, especially on the 2nd part. We should be drafting good solid scoring forwards with the 2nd round picks. No reason to draft GT when we have 3 already in the system showing potential. They should do what they did last year and draft a GT in the 4th or later rounds. For isntance Cal Petersen in the 5th round last year is exactly the type of thing to look for. Linus Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Miller was a 5th rounder.

As for trades, if that was an add on (a decent young gt) than fine. If it is a major piece (Miller for Allen and a late pick (3rd or later)) than screw that.

I believe in Enroth. It's very hard to pass judgement. for the most part he has a team playing in front of him that has gone through two coaches, is not very good, and is learning how to win. He plays every once in a while and when he has the team has left him high and dry for the most part. When he has come in during millers injury or during the world games for his home nation he has been very good when given a regular role. Trade Miller and extend Enroth for two years. If he does not pan out we have a plethora of goaltenders in the system. But we have to be fair and give him at least the rest of the season after miller is gone to prove he can do this on a constant basis. He has never been the number one guy.

Disagree, especially on the 2nd part. We should be drafting good solid scoring forwards with the 2nd round picks. No reason to draft GT when we have 3 already in the system showing potential. They should do what they did last year and draft a GT in the 4th or later rounds. For isntance Cal Petersen in the 5th round last year is exactly the type of thing to look for. Linus Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Miller was a 5th rounder.

As for trades, if that was an add on (a decent young gt) than fine. If it is a major piece (Miller for Allen and a late pick (3rd or later)) than screw that.

You want us to pick forwards with every draft pick we have? I would love to pick up thatcher Demko this draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.