Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

You can argue directly, because he's the GM and didn't have to make decisions he almost certainly disagreed with, but that's his nature and why he survived so many years, plus he probably liked his job. But, just like the Rigases can be blamed for no Peca in '01 and Golisano/Quinn can be blamed for Black Sunday, Terry has to take his lumps here for the offseason of 2011.

Why? Is there evidence that Pegula didn't give Regier free rein over hockey decisions?

You can argue directly, because he's the GM and didn't have to make decisions he almost certainly disagreed with, but that's his nature and why he survived so many years, plus he probably liked his job. But, just like the Rigases can be blamed for no Peca in '01 and Golisano/Quinn can be blamed for Black Sunday, Terry has to take his lumps here for the offseason of 2011.

Pegula is responsible for not immediately removing DR like he should have. He was a player in getting us to where we are now.

2/16/14 WGR Article/Audio - Murray: No trade talks during Olympics <10:08>

Buffalo Sabres' general manager Tim Murray was in attendance for Sunday's Rochester Americans game against the Texas Stars. In a 10 minute chat with several media members, Murray said that trade talks have been dead during the Olympic break, saying the only communication he has had with other general managers is one text message.

Murray also provided the answer to a common question from Sabres fans: If the team trades Ryan Miller, who will be the goalie? Buffalo's new GM said it will not be either Matt Hackett or Nathan Lieuwen this season.

Personally starting to get the feeling we can't expect much in return for our free agents.

I think Miller depends on the market, which looks pretty dry. Ott and Moulson should fetch decent returns. Vanek and Pominville got great value and I expect similar out of Ott and Moulson.

I think Miller depends on the market, which looks pretty dry. Ott and Moulson should fetch decent returns. Vanek and Pominville got great value and I expect similar out of Ott and Moulson.

Pominville had an extra year. Vanek was moved early. Both are twice the player that each of our current guys are. They'll fetch an asset or two less. But that's still good value for each.

Edited by Tankalicious

Pominville had an extra gear. Vanek was moved early. Both are twice the player that each of our current guys are. They'll fetch an asset or two less. But that's still good value for each.

it changes fast. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray moves both goaltenders this spring. I expect two new roster goalies by next year.

This is the calm before the storm.

Murray doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will wait around for a last-place team to get better.

There's going to be a flurry in two weeks and a bigger flurry in June and July.

After next year's deadline we won't recognize this team. And moves will be be made that we will not expect.

Edited by dudacek

Murray doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will wait around for a last-place team to get better.

After next year's deadline we won't recognize this team. And moves will be be made that we will not expect.

This is kind of the thought process I'm on now. From everything TM has indicated, he isn't the sit and wait kind of guy.

Maybe, but it's not like Darcy did much to clear himself of the suspicions that he just wasn't a very good GM, after Quinn was out the door?

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression with my post -- Darcy is 100% accountable for this disaster of a team, IMHO, and should have been canned long ago. However, I also believe that LQ inserted himself into the player/contract decision-making process with disastrous results.

You mean Ehrhoff and Leino? One decent signing and one terrible one? Those are hardly franchise-crippling moves on a par with Black Sunday.

Let's hope so. I think fans usually expect more action than actually transpires though.

I know Murray has already said any player can be traded, but I have a feeling he'll trade a player(s) that may be considered a jaw dropper. This trade could be huge and highly unexpected. It'll involve a team(s)/player(s) that has rarely been mentioned. I'm think a trade involving 3 teams. It'd have many scratching their heads saying to themselves, "Didn't think of that one." It' just a feeling I have. There is a lot to follow in the hockey world and the excitement surrounding it makes it all the better.

You mean Ehrhoff and Leino? One decent signing and one terrible one? Those are hardly franchise-crippling moves on a par with Black Sunday.

How did Regehr work out? But, beyond all that, let's start with the organizational decision, prompted I believe by Terry, to not start the teardown process that summer, with a president, new GM and new coach. That's what set the franchise back years.

Edited by PASabreFan

Just don't think he should wait untill the deadline to make moves though, there will be more sellers soon and why take Ott if you can have legwand a few days later.

No one has met his price, if they had I assume he'd pull the trigger. No sense in lowering the price with weeks to go before the deadline.

let's start with the organizational decision, prompted I believe by Terry, to not start the teardown process that summer, with a president, new GM and new coach. That's what set the franchise back years.

accepting all these contentions as true, the fact remains that Pegula's evidently seen the error of his original ways, changed course dramatically, and has the franchise on a far more promising path. Perhaps it took longer than it should have, or might have, but the needed changes you describe as having been unwisely delayed are now afoot.

so why continue to remonstrate, Eeyore?

let me guess: because Tigger Pegula won't so easily change his stripes, and you're here to tell us that the emperor still has no clothes.

Edited by That Aud Smell

How did Regehr work out? But, beyond all that, let's start with the organizational decision, prompted I believe by Terry, to not start the teardown process that summer, with a president, new GM and new coach. That's what set the franchise back years.

Well, Regehr didn't deliver a Cup, but I don't think anyone really thought he was going to be the guy to do that. He was what he was supposed to be -- a good, physical, top-4 defenseman who played the tough minutes.

It's certainly hard to argue now with the proposition that DR should've been canned immediately. Of course, wouldn't that have been a "meddling owner" kind of move?

accepting all these contentions as true, the fact remains that Pegula's evidently seen the error of his original ways, changed course dramatically, and has the franchise on a far more promising path. Perhaps it took longer than it should have, or might have, but the needed changes you describe as having been unwisely delayed are now afoot.

so why continue to remonstrate, Eeyore?

let me guess: because Tigger Pegula won't so easily change his stripes, and you're here to tell us that the emperor still has no clothes.

WNY fear and loathing of the wealthy.

Well, Regehr didn't deliver a Cup, but I don't think anyone really thought he was going to be the guy to do that. He was what he was supposed to be -- a good, physical, top-4 defenseman who played the tough minutes.

It's certainly hard to argue now with the proposition that DR should've been canned immediately. Of course, wouldn't that have been a "meddling owner" kind of move?

WNY fear and loathing of the wealthy.

He"s from PA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.