[OT] Snowmagheddon

Weave

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the weather coming tomorrow.

It seems the National Weather Service isn't quite sure where the northern edge of the lake effect snow will end up. Could be Buffalo, Cheektowaga, and points east, or it could be south towns.

You folks in the north towns appear to be sitting pretty for this one. Latest model runs show Lockport getting 0 snow.

I used to love driving in snow- after Friday though, I'm scared shitless. My rental is a front wheel drive ford fiesta, and I'm used to an AWD Subaru.

This storm looks like it's going to be an icy/windy one here in Rochester- my family/friends in NW Ohio/SE Michigan are totally snowed in right now- all roads are impassable and wind chill is in the -40s. Apparently everyone acted like the apocalypse or the blizzard of '78 was coming again and cleared out all the supermarket shelves. Haven't noticed that behaviour here. Might be that upstaters are rather used to this kind of thing.

Is it a load of bull? Maybe, maybe not. Guess I'll take it as it comes. Seems Buffalo will get more snow.

Whatever happens, stay safe, warm, and make good driving decisions!

I love snow and am jealous of any amount you guys get. There was a stretch when I went to Fredonia where it didn't stop snowing for two weeks, not "it snowed every day for two weeks". It never stopped snowing for two weeks, and on the last day we got 26".

Awesome. I miss it.

I love snow and am jealous of any amount you guys get. There was a stretch when I went to Fredonia where it didn't stop snowing for two weeks, not "it snowed every day for two weeks". It never stopped snowing for two weeks, and on the last day we got 26".

Awesome. I miss it.

I enjoyed it a whole lot more before I had to commute back roads that don't get the plowing support urban/suburban roads get.

Man, we used to get screwed on these storms in Lockport/Niagara County. Never a snow day for us, but a few miles south in Clarence and Williamsville snow days for everyone! I miss all the hearty Buffalo souls who don't skip a beat during these storms. Denver has a bunch of snow weenies!

I enjoyed it a whole lot more before I had to commute back roads that don't get the plowing support urban/suburban roads get.

I always just make sure I have an emergency 6 pack stowed in the center console, you know, in case you have to kill some time while stuck in a ditch.

Single digit temperatures here in Nashville. That happens pretty much never.

yea over here by Atlanta we may get a dusting... the panic by some ppl I know is fracking hilarious. 1" of snow! We must horde water, steal food, if you are elderly... you will not survive this storm!

This feels like one of those S. Buffalo/Cheektavegas/W.Seneca specials setting up. Every 5 years or so they get a barnburner.

Once was stranded at the ballet with a group of friends during a snowstorm. They had a "feature" gal there, and we were the only customers there but for a few strays. Free beer and naked Twister. God bless Canada.....

This feels like one of those S. Buffalo/Cheektavegas/W.Seneca specials setting up. Every 5 years or so they get a barnburner.

Once was stranded at the ballet with a group of friends during a snowstorm. They had a "feature" gal there, and we were the only customers there but for a few strays. Free beer and naked Twister. God bless Canada.....

I love it when Uncle Drane tells us wonderful stories around the crackling fireplace :beer:

I remember a couple years back where a narrow ~9 mile band just sat over a section of West Seneca and Cheektowaga, dropping like 5 feet over three days because it didn't move at all. That was...not fun. Worst part was there was never a meltdown, so everything we got after that had to be tossed on top of 7 foot snow piles on the sides of the driveway. Ugh.

This morning model runs are focusing on a dual lake effect band merging over just south of Buffalo and extending into Batavia, so Drane, yeah this might be one of those Cheektowaga specials. 2 feet + and high winds ain't nuthin to sneeze at.

For those with long commutes, they are predicting totally impassable roads by early evening where the lake effect band sets up. Don't get yourself stranded out there.

I'll be out cutting down a slob willow tree today up in Niagara Falls. The weather doesn't help when you work in it, but there will be damage from the freezing temps and wind to trees, so I'll be busy right through to March. And I drive a 25,600 lb. Bucket truck around, so the icy road conditions are no friend to me.

This morning model runs are focusing on a dual lake effect band merging over just south of Buffalo and extending into Batavia, so Drane, yeah this might be one of those Cheektowaga specials. 2 feet + and high winds ain't nuthin to sneeze at.

For those with long commutes, they are predicting totally impassable roads by early evening where the lake effect band sets up. Don't get yourself stranded out there.

Yeah...it just feels like it. When they say "south", but not sure how far north into the city the band will go, but it should get there....that usually spells trouble for the tweeners.

Got a Victory and Troegs variety case to help ride it out.

I've been here in NC for over a decade.... and nope I still don't miss it. Growing up in Hamburg and getting pounded every winter with lake effect has provided me with enough snow for a lifetime. Stay safe everyone.

A forecast low of 9 here in Raleigh tomorrow morning so I fully expect the schools will at least have a delayed start due to the low temps.

edit: Yep, they just announced a two hour delayed start tomorrow.

I miss looking out the window and seeing freshly fallen snow. I miss intentional fish tails as you make a turn from a stop sign. That grey slushy crap in parking lots, not so much.

And there's this from the National Weather Service: Impacts: travel will become very difficult to near impossible by Monday evening with snow covered roads and localized Whiteout conditions due to heavy lake effect snow along with considerable blowing and drifting snow. Roadways will become partially or fully impassable for a period of time. Dangerously cold wind chills will pose a risk for frost bite and hypothermia for anyone outside for even very short periods of time. This is a Life- threatening cold for those not in shelter.

http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwacapget.php?x=NY12513BDF0504.LakeEffectSnowWarning.12513BFD58B0NY.BUFWSWBUF.cbf12da4a44670ab948418565181753a

The entire city of Nashville is pretty much shut down today... because it is cold outside! WTF?! The sun is shining and there is barely any snow... but it is about 5 degrees with below-zero wind chills... so they closed everything!

...guess they didn't want their steel guitars to freeze.

Archived