[OT] Snowmagheddon

Weave

Speaking of the 07 storm..

I distinctly remember that was a Thursday night because I was 19 and worked at a movie theater. Thursday night was when new movies were put together, so from 5pm-close I was in a windowless hall and then I stayed to watch through the movies. At 5 when I got there it was flakey but no crzy snow.....the kicker? I had just got my new car that week. So I walk outside at 2am(because the power went out) to attempt to drive my Camaro through the over 2 ft of snow that had already fallen. Needless to say Buffalo-aging has brought with it an suv (still have the car tho)

Pretty mild accumulation here so far, more blowing around than snowing particularly hard. I certainly wouldn't want to be out driving because of visibility issues, but definitely seem to have dodged a bullet thus far (can always change of course).

Well, jinxed myself. Been getting hammered for several hours now, with what appears to be 3+ feet of plow crap at the end of the driveway :wallbash:

Off the album '12" of Snow'

A licky boom-boom down (WTF does that mean anyway)

The line is ‘I (will) lick he bum bum down.' Meaning “I am going to knock his ass down (for snitching)."

Bear in mind that Snow is not Jamaican, he is a white Canadian (Torontonian) who spent time incarcerated with Jamaicans. His patois (or Jamaican slang) is kind of odd for that reason.

The line is ‘I (will) lick he bum bum down.' Meaning “I am going to knock his ass down (for snitching)."

Bear in mind that Snow is not Jamaican, he is a white Canadian (Torontonian) who spent time incarcerated with Jamaicans. His patois (or Jamaican slang) is kind of odd for that reason.

That's what I get for trusting one of those lyrics sites.

Shoveling? Get a snow blower. I have owned a snowblower since 1995, and rarely ever pick up a shovel these days.

Used to have one, it died, and I don't think it's worth it to spend the money on another one. Even when I had one I only used it a few times per year. My driveway is small and the only time I found it really beneficial to use the snow blower was on 1 foot+ snowfalls, which aren't exactly common. In my situation it's a non-trivial expense for something I'd get very limited use out of.

Used to have one, it died, and I don't think it's worth it to spend the money on another one. Even when I had one I only used it a few times per year. My driveway is small and the only time I found it really beneficial to use the snow blower was on 1 foot+ snowfalls, which aren't exactly common. In my situation it's a non-trivial expense for something I'd get very limited use out of.

The times, they are a changin'. 1' + snowfalls in Cheektowaga were alot more common up until about 15 years ago. If the pendulum swings back weather-wise you'll be looking for that snowblower!

The times, they are a changin'. 1' + snowfalls in Cheektowaga were alot more common up until about 15 years ago. If the pendulum swings back weather-wise you'll be looking for that snowblower!

So I'm not the only one who thinks winters used to be better 15 years ago?

Let that pendulum swing baby!

Reminiscing on storms of the past, one stands out to me more than others...

Not 1977. Mainly because I was five and my only real memory is of the snowdrifts that went as high as the roofs of some houses in our neighborhood.

Not 1985. I only really associate that with Hamburg Central schools, which rarely closed, being closed for a week for that one.

Not the storm of 12/2001. That sure was a ###### ton of snow, but I already knew I was moving here in January so in my mind I was already gone.

The one that sticks in my head the most was the surprise storm of 11/2000. I was working in a windowless basement lab on the UB south campus so I had no idea how bad the snow was until nearly everyone had already left. By the time I got out and went to the parking lot I helped push out five stuck cars before I even dug out my car. I remember the last car we pushed out was a student who said she was driving out to West Seneca, her tires were nearly bald and I tried to convince her not to try it, but away she went. It wasn't a matter of if she would end up stranded, but where. Miraculously, I did make it home to my apartment in Amherst by zig zagging through back roads, and it wasn't long after I made it home that Harlem road became a parking lot with people stranded in their cars. We ended up bring out hot chocolate and coffee to stranded motorists and let many use our phone to call family or friends. My girlfriend (now wife) was one of the many unlucky ones who were stuck at work overnight.

Archived