The (Not Really) Darcy Regier appreciation thread

Hoss

Well with this move my insider tie to the Sabres has been severed. I do not know DR personally, but I have a close personal contact who does. I never asked for or received any "breaking" type news from this contact over the years, but I did receive confirmation about some things that never officially came out. Good luck to Darcy, I do hope that he lands on his feet somewhere.

I hesitate to comment while the blood is still in the water, but here goes anyway.

Regier served his owners well. He did what he was told and thus he survived for so many years. He had to survive a couple of owners who really didn't care about hockey and mostly cared about the bottom line. Regier was the fall guy for a lot of the Sabres problems. If you look at his hockey decisions, he made many good ones and the next Sabres GM will benefit greatly from a lot of his decisions. He made some bad ones too.

I think the hiring of Ron Rolston was a mistake especially when you consider the availability of some good coaches at the time.

Terry Pegula is not without fault, but he wasn't about to fire himself. Somebody else had to take the blame and Regier and Rolston were the obvious targets.

I hope LaFontaine hires a sharp GM who knows what he is doing.

Well with this move my insider tie to the Sabres has been severed. I do not know DR personally, but I have a close personal contact who does. I never asked for or received any "breaking" type news from this contact over the years, but I did receive confirmation about some things that never officially came out. Good luck to Darcy, I do hope that he lands on his feet somewhere.

That's very man of you to admit.

You have been fair in your commentary while tipping your hand a tad.

A perfect fit.......

To the curious. The inquisitive. The seekers of knowledge.

To the ones who just wanna know.

About life.

About the universe. About yourself.

Not cute questions.

Big questions, ones that matter.

To the rebels, the artists, the free thinkers and the innovators.

Who care less about labels and more about truth.

Who believe non-conformity is more than a bumper sticker.

That knowledge is more than words on a page.

You're young.

You're old.

You're powerful beyond measure and the fuel of that power is not magic or mysticism, but knowledge.

The things you see.

The things you feel.

The things you know to be true.

Sure, some will doubt you.

Let 'em.

Dare to think for yourself.

To look for yourself.

To make up your own mind.

Because in the eternal debate for answers, the one thing that's true is what's true for you.

Sweet Medicine :thumbsup:

I think DR is a good and honorable guy who cares about the people he works with. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for building the unforgettable 2005-06 team, which was thrilling, deep, fast, tough, a joy to watch and unforgivably ruined by ownership. (And I completely reject the meme that he got lucky with the NHL rule changes -- that team would have been great in any era.)

He just didn't do his job well enough. Many wanted him gone earlier, but I thought the time to can him was after 2011-12, when he sat by and did nothing while the season went down the drain in the first half of the year. Everything that happened after that was a day late and a dollar short -- and the stench of acceptable losing got more and more ingrained in the franchise.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work and your service DR. Best of luck to you.

I think DR is a good and honorable guy who cares about the people he works with. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for building the unforgettable 2005-06 team, which was thrilling, deep, fast, tough, a joy to watch and unforgivably ruined by ownership. (And I completely reject the meme that he got lucky with the NHL rule changes -- that team would have been great in any era.)

He just didn't do his job well enough. Many wanted him gone earlier, but I thought the time to can him was after 2011-12, when he sat by and did nothing while the season went down the drain in the first half of the year. Everything that happened after that was a day late and a dollar short -- and the stench of acceptable losing got more and more ingrained in the franchise.

Well, I said not today, but at the right time, that pretty much would have summed it up for me.

So, ditto.

Don't hate the playa.....love the coup!

Good luck Darcy. May the Flyers hire you as their new GM.

:w00t: , Naw i vote for Toronto

Thanks for memories, may you make a good scout for the alberta minor league.

oh and thank you for ending the nightmares that have cost me multiple couch sessions and lots of $'s in copays.

Can you speak freely now?

That's very man of you to admit.

You have been fair in your commentary while tipping your hand a tad.

Actually today was the only time that I had an early confirmation on something. When the rumors began swirling I texted him and I got confirmation on DR but he asked me to keep it quiet until official word was released, which I considered to be when Dreger tweeted it.

Hear, hear -- especially that piece.

IMO, if the team had managed to get any decent luck in terms of injuries in the spring of 2006, DR would have a Stanley Cup on his resume. (And I don't buy that we were too thin organizationally at D that year, notwithstanding DR's decision to overload on journeymen D thereafter.)

He made some good trades, but today was LONG Overdue.

Well, really good trades will help get you to the Cup Finals. He made some very notable trades that definitely helped the team (Briere, et al.) BUT, he also kept a player like Stafford on the roster waiting (apparently) for him to "blossom". I do think that Darcy thinks he did (and was doing) a great job. It's just that his idea of a great job was everyone else's idea of mediocre. Thanks to Darcy for trying, anyway (but don't let the locker room door hit you in the buttocks on the way out...) :thumbsup:

Hear, hear -- especially that piece.

IMO, if the team had managed to get any decent luck in terms of injuries in the spring of 2006, DR would have a Stanley Cup on his resume. (And I don't buy that we were too thin organizationally at D that year, notwithstanding DR's decision to overload on journeymen D thereafter.)

One other thing about that team, as we praise and bury DR: he put it together on a shoestring budget, with the NHL taking over ownership from a felon, a franchise move being a very real possibility, terrible attendance and other teams in the NHL spending literally 4x what the Sabres were spending. That was his crowning achievement as an NHL GM, and it was damned fine work.

In 2006 Darcy Regier had the Chance to win a Stanley Cup. At the trade deadline he did not get the required depth defender we needed. Instead with our 1st overall pick he took Dennis Persson. We lost out to Carolina. So #### him for being a yes man and good riddance, I will never forgive him for this.

We went through to our 8-9th D-Man. How many do you want?

I'm with Dstebb a part of me is sad. I thinkus young ones have a slight fear of the change. Just like a child raised in a North Korean concentration camp, our perception of what is normal and acceptable is skewed

Darcy's trading ability is what kept him here and it is what i will miss. However he was always a man who collected the jigsaw puzzle pieces but didn't know how to make the picture

Interesting.. Two good executions and the moribund Sabres board is alive..

I personally am more grateful Rolston is gone than Regier. I hated that move the moment it was announced, and hated it right through his last press conference.

I agree on Rolston...what a clown. Did we can Sacco as well? Haven't seen anything about him.

What I find so interesting about Darcy is that many of his decisions were either brilliant or a complete bust. Barnes for Barnaby and Briere/Drury being two obvious examples. But what about the Gilmore trade back in 98? I think the Hawks paid his salary for the year..I also think we got Dumont in that deal. He was a stud for us. There have been many moments for me through the years where I have stood in disbelief with him...this includes the good and the bad.

In all honesty, there have only been 6-8 people who have really trended towards defending Regier lately. You snuck into that bunch, but weren't over the top and still were pretty fair otherwise.

Is this directed at me? I guess I did defend him a bit in the sense that I honestly thought all the talk about firing him was pointless because they wouldn't pull the trigger. Always thought they should have. They should have years ago.

But I also kind of wanted him around to make sure this team sucked next year so we can have McDavid haha.

Will be interesting to see if he pops up in another franchise. Like or hate his teams, he certainly knows the business side of the NHL.

I wonder the same thing. Best as an assistant who basically works as a salesmen.

Is this directed at me? I guess I did defend him a bit in the sense that I honestly thought all the talk about firing him was pointless because they wouldn't pull the trigger. Always thought they should have. They should have years ago.

But I also kind of wanted him around to make sure this team sucked next year so we can have McDavid haha.

I wonder the same thing. Best as an assistant who basically works as a salesmen.

You were not alone in being ok with darcy hanging around long enough to see us get mcdavid. I had that feeling as well.

To the "old guard" of posters on here, change is nothing new in Buffalo sports, we've seen enough of it. I'd like to raise my Stein in the air for a toast amongst us old schoolers, "and so it begins, another new chapter, may success be found with this where it has eluded us for far to long now".

To the youngsters on the board who know not change, rest assured, this to shall pass. Fear not for the future, instead, look upon as a new sunrise with a new journey that should breed excitement and breathe fresh life into your future as a Sabres fan.

;)

Archived