The (Not Really) Darcy Regier appreciation thread

Hoss

Oh FFS. You went almost an entire day -- and it was a huge day -- without being obnoxious and ticking reasonable people off. And now this nonsense.

Think before you talk.

And Faulkner isn't a poster.

Give me a break. Nobody sees the obvious ###### tone that 11 came with?

Look, I get it. Guys like 11 have been posting around here for years so they're "allowed" to get away with ###### tones. I've been posting for like a year, and I don't care how long anybody has been posting so I'm not "allowed."

Look, I get it. Guys like 11 have been posting around here for years so they're "allowed" to get away with ###### tones. I've been posting for like a year, and I don't care how long anybody has been posting so I'm not "allowed."

He was joking, calm the ###### down.

Apparently you don't.

In the off-season I said this season was shaping up to mirror 1986-87.

So far, so good — Scotty Bowman was fired with the team's record at 5-15-3.

Gil Perreault retired early in that campaign.

Craig Ramsay finished that season behind the bench, went 25-37-6, and was replaced at the end of the year.

We still finished last and picked Pierre Turgeon.

Gerry Meehan took over from Bowman for a mostly mediocre run but the team did bounce back to make the playoffs the following year.

His most notable achievements GM? Trading Turgeon to acquire Pat Lafontaine

11 did a good thing, telling somebody how to make their post easier to read thus potentially increasing the quality of the board.

You unnecessarily policing the board while constantly whining about the way things are is not now, nor has it ever been, fun to read.

:thumbsup:

Can you speak freely now?

Most of what I was told I've already shared. What I really would have liked to know but obviously could never ask about was the Pegula meddling and some of the other stuff that seemed to always come up around here One day, when the dust has settled, I will ask about stuff like that.

FWIW, I read two sentences in your post, saw the gigantic block of text and skipped the rest...

Direct shot at Darcy's failings:

@WGR550

Ted Black: "We need to transition from sellers to builders"

I don't know that it is a shot as much as an acknowledgement that Darcy was better at acquiring assets than creating dynasties, whch was the stated goal of ownership.

He's the CEO you bring in to liquidate assets for bankruptcy, not the guy to build the company up.

FWIW, I read two sentences in your post, saw the gigantic block of text and skipped the rest...

That's really what I was trying to get at--with a humorous note about where the "return" key on a keyboard is. Anyway, back to the subject matter at hand?

Really? I don't think that's a shot at all.

I need the context. I'll have to listen to audiovault later.

In all honesty, there have only been 6-8 people who have really trended towards defending Regier lately. You snuck into that bunch, but weren't over the top and still were pretty fair otherwise.

Not sure how I missed this. I defended Darcy? You can go back at least three years looking at my posts and find me saying it is time to let him go. Not banging the drum day in and day out for his dismissal does not equal defending him. I don't think you can find one poster here lately who defended Darcy, let alone 6-8.

Not sure how I missed this. I defended Darcy? You can go back at least three years looking at my posts and find me saying it is time to let him go. Not banging the drum day in and day out for his dismissal does not equal defending him. I don't think you can find one poster here lately who defended Darcy, let alone 6-8.

OK...let me say you were a tad in the "team apologist" camp....or trending to be more defensive than the average. Like I said, you are fair though. You can just tell when someone has a bit of a tie to things. Some say it upfront, some let it slip through other things they say, some you find out about through something totally different. You are probably a bad example because you never let it define you that you had some information. Information is much more innocent than making money or getting perks off connections or direct relation to those who do. I dunno.....nothing bad. I just said a little "aaahhh" to myself.

OK...let me say you were a tad in the "team apologist" camp....or trending to be more defensive than the average. Like I said, you are fair though. You can just tell when someone has a bit of a tie to things. Some say it upfront, some let it slip through other things they say, some you find out about through something totally different. You are probably a bad example because you never let it define you that you had some information. Information is much more innocent than making money or getting perks off connections or direct relation to those who do. I dunno.....nothing bad. I just said a little "aaahhh" to myself.

Like I said, I don't know DR personally, have never met the man nor do I expect to in the future. I never got any breaking news type info, just some confirmation about front office decisions that were never officially known. If anything, now that he's gone it will allow me to ask more about a lot of the theories put forth over the years around here.

I don't think apologist is the right word, it was more of an understanding of where the team was, and still is really, but I was always clear that I didn't want DR in charge of the rebuild. I still think this roster sucks and a new GM isn't going to have much latitude in the short term other than embracing the tank, but we'll see.

I think the final nail for DR was not interviewing anyone else and retaining Rolston. The guy was clearly in over his head and it cost Darcy his job as the "suffering" that was the first 20 games didn't end up being what Terry had in mind. If DR hires an experienced NHL head coach I think he at least survives this season, so really you all should be thanking Darcy for bringing about his own demise sooner rather than later. :P

edit: I take that back. I did actually meet DR once, but well before I had this contact. In the late 90's During the 2000 season the Sabres did a charity auction / miniature golf event at HSBC. I got into it with my brother and our girlfriends. My girlfriend (now wife) and my brothers (now sister in law) were paired with Darcy. My brother and I played with Ric Seiling. I remember it was during the Peca hold out so I asked my wife to press DR for info on that, but of course she didn't. Seiling was a nice guy.

Darcy made some great individual moves but couldn't put together a great team. He seemed to work best with budget restrictions. We don't know the behind the scenes problems with Rigas and Golisano enough to know what happened when the Sabres were within a player or two of the Cup in '99 and '05 and '06. But when Pegula's money faucet turned on, Regier took huge chances on guys and swung and missed too many times.

Darcy made some great individual moves but couldn't put together a great team. He seemed to work best with budget restrictions. We don't know the behind the scenes problems with Rigas and Golisano enough to know what happened when the Sabres were within a player or two of the Cup in '99 and '05 and '06. But when Pegula's money faucet turned on, Regier took huge chances on guys and swung and missed too many times.

And in all those instances you listed Darcy was a "yes boss I do what you say just don't fire me" putting his job ahead of the team at every turn.

you're kidding, right? he made a few good-great moves during each of his different bosses reigns, but I wouldn't say his best work was with budget restrictions. I don't think I need to remind you of Drury, Briere, Campbell, or the Timmy extension etc.

you're kidding, right? he made a few good-great moves during each of his different bosses reigns, but I wouldn't say his best work was with budget restrictions. I don't think I need to remind you of Drury, Briere, Campbell, or the Timmy extension etc.

Those were all made when he was limited. He means when the owner wasn't always willing to play at the cap every year.

Archived