The (Not Really) Darcy Regier appreciation thread

Hoss

Darcy's best:

1. The Regehr trade. Nobody even knew RR was on the block, yet somehow Darcy pried him away from the Flames for peanuts. Total Jedi Mind Trick trade.

2. The Gaustad trade. Regardless of whether or not this was the start of the rebuild, this was an incredible return for a player who had been coming up short of potential for a few years.

3. The Hodgson trade. Cody has been a very good player so far - even more so considering how well he has performed under the horrible circumstances of the current season. Sulzer was a solid D-man while he was here. On the other side, Gragnani has faded into obscurity, while Kassian is looking like the next Steve Bernier.

Honorable mention: The Ehrhoff signing.

Darcy's worst:

1. Not signing Briere. I don't count Drury against him because I am certain #23 was going to test the UFA waters anyway. I understand Darcy was in a tough spot - it would have looked wierd extending one and not the other in the middle of a great season. But he had to make a solid run at Briere in order to maintain the locker room.

2. Signing Vanek to the offer sheet. OK Darcy, you just lost the heart, soul, and two best centers of your team. There is no one left to lead the troops. There is a massive scoring deficit in your lineup. Your hands are tied financially. No better time to say "screw it" and start over. Someone is offering you a chance to commence a proper rebuild with an unprecedented four first-round picks. Instead of taking it, you stubbornly prove a point by doubling down on your punchless team.

3. Trading Sekera. He was such a good, young, affordable defenseman. He could have been a cornerstone of the rebuild. Darcy should not have traded him at all, let alone for the crummy return he got.

Dishonorable mention: Trading Pominville. Guys like #29 are so very hard to come by. Always on the score sheet, four years of perfect attendance, can play every situation well, is a stand-up guy. This guy should have been a Sabre for life. I understand this is a rebuild, but with this move, Darcy took it too far. And I know there's the argument that he would have been lost to UFA, but regardless, I hated this trade for what it represented.

Just my opinions, though. I'm curious how everyone else would rank Darcy's dealings.

Darcy's best:

1. The Regehr trade. Nobody even knew RR was on the block, yet somehow Darcy pried him away from the Flames for peanuts. Total Jedi Mind Trick trade.

2. The Gaustad trade. Regardless of whether or not this was the start of the rebuild, this was an incredible return for a player who had been coming up short of potential for a few years.

3. The Hodgson trade. Cody has been a very good player so far - even more so considering how well he has performed under the horrible circumstances of the current season. Sulzer was a solid D-man while he was here. On the other side, Gragnani has faded into obscurity, while Kassian is looking like the next Steve Bernier.

Darcy's worst:

1. Not signing Briere. I don't count Drury against him because I am certain #23 was going to test the UFA waters anyway. I understand Darcy was in a tough spot - it would have looked wierd extending one and not the other in the middle of a great season. But he had to make a solid run at Briere in order to maintain the locker room.

2. Signing Vanek to the offer sheet. OK Darcy, you just lost the heart, soul, and two best centers of your team. There is no one left to lead the troops. There is a massive scoring deficit in your lineup. Your hands are tied financially. No better time to say "screw it" and start over. Someone is offering you a chance to commence a proper rebuild with an unprecedented four first-round picks. Instead of taking it, you stubbornly prove a point by doubling down on your punchless team.

3. Trading Sekera. He was such a good, young, affordable defenseman. He could have been a cornerstone of the rebuild. Darcy should not have traded him at all, let alone for the crummy return he got.

Dishonorable mention: Trading Pominville. Guys like #29 are so very hard to come by. Always on the score sheet, four years of perfect attendance, can play every situation well, is a stand-up guy. This guy should have been a Sabre for life. I understand this is a rebuild, but with this move, Darcy took it too far. And I know there's the argument that he would have been lost to UFA, but regardless, I hated this trade for what it represented.

Just my opinions, though. I'm curious how everyone else would rank Darcy's dealings.

Darcys Best trades were the

Grosek For Gilmour and Jp Dumont

Rhett Warriner for Chris Drury....

CHris Gratton for Danny Briere

All others pale in comparison

To the "old guard" of posters on here, change is nothing new in Buffalo sports, we've seen enough of it. I'd like to raise my Stein in the air for a toast amongst us old schoolers, "and so it begins, another new chapter, may success be found with this where it has eluded us for far to long now".

To the youngsters on the board who know not change, rest assured, this to shall pass. Fear not for the future, instead, look upon as a new sunrise with a new journey that should breed excitement and breathe fresh life into your future as a Sabres fan.

;)

Nice post and I agree. Hell why would anyone fear change for this organization for where we stand today.

Cheers :beer:

I have no nostalgia for the guy. As far as I'm concerned he took over a Cup-contending team that John Muckler built, made it worse, then got lucky for a couple of years when the rules changed post-lockout. Good riddance. He should have been fired back in 2008 or sooner.

Couldnt have it summed up any better. Speaking of Muckler, dont be suprised if he lands back inside the Sabres Organization as well, maybe in a role similiar to Scotty Bowman or the like.

He gave us five teams with a legit shot at the Cup: 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2007.

Terry should have relieved him of his duties when he bought the team and started the new era right then. But there were times he was nothing short of a magician for us.

Disagree on 98 and 99. That was Muckler. If he doesnt play hard ball with Peca during the 00 - 01 season, we probably make the finals again. Not so sure he was a magician, he had some good moves during the first half of his tenur, but then something went seriously wrong. I think his reputation somewhere took a serious hit as did his credibility, which led to him having a mark on him.

While Darcy's time to go was long overdue, I will give the guy props. He stuck it out 15 years here. And he tried, until the very end. You might say "well of course he tried until the end, he's got the best job in the world! and even better when you're never on the hot seat!" or whatever, but obviously being a General Manager is a very difficult job, and brings a lot of stress. After his more successful seasons (albeit maybe due to having lucked in to a roster of hard workers, or lucked in to a new set of rules...) he could have easily declined an extension and gone elsewhere. Heck, after coming that close in 05/06 and 06/07, and Golisano still wasn't willing to spend some extra dollars to go the extra mile, I probably would have wanted out. He could have gotten a job elsewhere, perhaps somewhere where ownership would let him spend freely and execute his own plan from the beginning. But he stayed true to his mission in Buffalo. He made some monumental blunders along the way, but he also made some pretty genius trades. It is what it is, it didn't workout for him or the Sabres in the long run but you have to commend the guy for his efforts and dedication. At the very least, he didn't make any HORRIBLE trades that set the organization back several years (Feaster anyone?)

Darcys Best trades were the

Grosek For Gilmour and Jp Dumont

Rhett Warriner for Chris Drury....

CHris Gratton for Danny Briere

All others pale in comparison

Yep. The post to which you responded was way off.

And let's not forget Gaustad for a first, but that's not in his top three.

While Darcy's time to go was long overdue, I will give the guy props. He stuck it out 15 years here. And he tried, until the very end. You might say "well of course he tried until the end, he's got the best job in the world! and even better when you're never on the hot seat!" or whatever, but obviously being a General Manager is a very difficult job, and brings a lot of stress. After his more successful seasons (albeit maybe due to having lucked in to a roster of hard workers, or lucked in to a new set of rules...) he could have easily declined an extension and gone elsewhere. Heck, after coming that close in 05/06 and 06/07, and Golisano still wasn't willing to spend some extra dollars to go the extra mile, I probably would have wanted out. He could have gotten a job elsewhere, perhaps somewhere where ownership would let him spend freely and execute his own plan from the beginning. But he stayed true to his mission in Buffalo. He made some monumental blunders along the way, but he also made some pretty genius trades. It is what it is, it didn't workout for him or the Sabres in the long run but you have to commend the guy for his efforts and dedication. At the very least, he didn't make any HORRIBLE trades that set the organization back several years (Feaster anyone?)

Huh? Use the return/enter thing on your right. Then maybe people will read it.

If you don't want to read it, don't. It's a paragraph, not a novel. I'm certain anyone with basic grammar skills will be able to decipher my secret message.

The only person who gets away with a "paragraph" like that is Faulkner. You ain't him.

He endured two very hard business failures where most people wouldve left, the Rigas scam which was precluded by the Hasek trade for a bag of crap...He did build a team that should have won a cup from the depths of Hell and that is a helluva feat no matter how it blew up in the end..He was handcuffed and maybe he was just like a beaten dog...I am glad he is gone he really screwed the pooch the past 6 yrs but the first nine were a work of a genius for sure....

He endured two very hard business failures where most people wouldve left, the Rigas scam which was precluded by the Hasek trade for a bag of crap...He did build a team that should have won a cup from the depths of Hell and that is a helluva feat no matter how it blew up in the end..He was handcuffed and maybe he was just like a beaten dog...I am glad he is gone he really screwed the pooch the past 6 yrs but the first nine were a work of a genius for sure....

Perspective.

Terry's a smart man, hiring a fan favorite. No matter what he does, Lafontaine will never get the level of disdain that Darcy received because he is a fan favorite.

Not quite sure that fits the direction of this thread, but it's par for today's course. :P

Oh God. But who will we find to replace him ?

This was one of the most grating statements that really ticked me off during his tenure. More than a few uttered those words over the last few years. Don't have to worry bout hearing that crap anymore. Thank Christ.

I loved the Barnaby for Barnes trade. And I guess there were some other things he did that weren't horrible.

But the day I heard him on WGR (last season) describing how he once he quizzed the hockey team about who learns more in the course of 9 months, a 5th grader or an NHL player, I realized the situation here was hopeless.

This move came 5 years too late, and that's being kind.

The only person who gets away with a "paragraph" like that is Faulkner. You ain't him.

Stuff like this on the board is cute. It's like some sort of cult.

Exactly. He was limited at times and did do what he could. I do blame him for the current state of the team. Over the last few years, he's been terrible. But there were good times. You don't stay around for 16 years without doing something right. The emotions are ripe so I wouldn't expect a clear mind from many people which is why the "not today" responses were fair.

He gave us five teams with a legit shot at the Cup: 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2007.

Inherited those early teams. I only credit him with 06 and 07 for the most part. 2001 wasn't really a legit shot at the cup.

Inherited those early teams. I only credit him with 06 and 07 for the most part. 2001 wasn't really a legit shot at the cup.

He added significantly to each of the early teams at the deadline both years. And the 2001 team was absolutely legit -- and would have been even more so had the team's owner let him re-sign Michael Peca.

You're welcome to ###### off any time you want.

Until there are official titles like "semi-long post without using the return key guy/girl" then I don't see why somebody else can't do it. If you don't want to read it, then don't. I could understand if it was about twice as long as what he wrote, but it wasn't that long. Just don't understand the constant calling out of posters for doing something that only "another poster can get away with."

Darcy's best:

Darcy's worst:

I'm a young fan, but this is the clear sign of a VERY young fan. The Regehr trade as one of his best? What did Regehr do for us?

I'm willing to include the other trades in the conversation, but Gratton for Briere is probably his best.

Until there are official titles like "semi-long post without using the return key guy/girl" then I don't see why somebody else can't do it. If you don't want to read it, then don't. I could understand if it was about twice as long as what he wrote, but it wasn't that long. Just don't understand the constant calling out of posters for doing something that only "another poster can get away with."

11 did a good thing, telling somebody how to make their post easier to read thus potentially increasing the quality of the board.

You unnecessarily policing the board while constantly whining about the way things are is not now, nor has it ever been, fun to read.

11 did a good thing, telling somebody how to make their post easier to read thus potentially increasing the quality of the board.

You unnecessarily policing the board while constantly whining about the way things are is not now, nor has it ever been, fun to read.

Again, cute. "11 did a good thing." If I get called out for the tone of my posts, then he's the devil. He had a clearly demeaning tone in his words. You can let go of each other's hands now.

Again, cute. "11 did a good thing." If I get called out for the tone of my posts, then he's the devil. He had a clearly demeaning tone in his words. You can let go of each other's hands now.

Oh FFS. You went almost an entire day -- and it was a huge day -- without being obnoxious and ticking reasonable people off. And now this nonsense.

Think before you talk.

And Faulkner isn't a poster.

I have been mostly a fan of Vogl, while I have been on record as saying Bucky has been a wasted read for years.

Both of their takes on the downfall of Darcy are worth reading.

Maybe today will bring some life back to local hockey coverage as well.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/darcy-regiers-tenure-one-of-hits-and-misses-20131113

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/lafontaine-nolan-must-rebuild-bridges-regier-burned-20131113

Archived