All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

There is one up this way, in Coral Springs and Pompano. I'll check it out, thanks. I won't get my hopes up on the wings, nobody around here makes a real Buffalo chicken wing (which is why I make them at home now) but I'm dying for a decent pizza. It's really tough to come by up this way.

I think that you will like them, but they are not "Buffalo style." They are great though. The pizza is great as well (thin crust).

Didn't the Sabres put it in their own laps by booking the NCAA tournament?

is he saying the trip destinations and how it was planned was wrong by the league?!

If I had to guess, it was the fact they went out west for 3 road games, then back east for a road game, then south, and then home. If anything I think TM would of felt switching the Nashville and Montréal games would of made more sense. Due to that ordering it made flight time far more than should of been needed.

I'm not sure that road trip was so extraordinary.

I think the every other night in new time zone more or less is what he was referring to. That's all I can think of. Worst of all being Vancouver Monday night, and then Montreal Tuesday (oops) Wednesday night, but that really doesn't seem, like you said, too extraordinary.

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

Soundbites from the presser:

"In trying times, I've liked a lot of what I've seen. ... In a losing situation, I have liked what I've seen." -Tim Murray on his confidence in Ted Nolan

"We need better players. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out." -Tim Murray on his vision about the roster.

"You know, when you have good players, it just makes the game so much easier. You look at some of the teams we play, and their hockey intelligence is what gets them out of a lot of trouble. Certainly, good players are [hockey intelligent]. But in order to have good players where we are, we have to develop those players. So I'm looking forward to that. And through Tim's experience finding that talent, it'll make my job a lot easier. The only thing I have to worry about is coaching and knowing that I'll be receiving some really good players." -Ted Nolan on the vision for the roster

"What makes the job so exciting is looking down the road. What we have now is what we have now. You see some chunks of coal here, and you polish 'em up, and they're gonna be some pretty good diamonds down the road. We got some really good young players." -Ted Nolan on what makes this opportunity exciting

"You know, I come from the same type of background. Nothing was given to myself, you had to work for things. This city, it's a blue collar town. They love to work, and if you give them an honest effort, and if you're honest with them, I think that's a key. You can't lie. And you can't fluff things that are not there. I think if you're truthful and if you're straightforward, they appreciate it that much more. I try to be as straightforward as I possibly can with them and with the players- I'll tell 'em if they had a bad game, and I'll also tell them that they played a good game. You don't fluff it up. So, I don't know, the night when I first got here a number of years ago, there was a big Native American population welcoming me to the city, and right from that I just really fell in love with the area." -Ted Nolan on why he connects so well to the city and fanbase

"The bottom line is building something for the city that this city will really love and appreciate when we do it." -Ted Nolan

Is it me, or are these two guys just really ###### reasonable.

3/31: Schopp & the Bulldog with Sabres Head Coach Ted Nolan <19:29>

Tim Murray with Bob McCown and Damien Cox: http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Tim-Murray-with-Bob-McCown-and-Damien-Cox-pts-20140331-Interview.mp3 <6:54>

Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray says it was an easy decision to remove the "interim" tag from Ted Nolan's title.

Ted Nolan excited to lead the Sabres for the near future: http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Ted-Nolan-with-Daren-Millard,-Nick-Kypreos-and-Doug-MacLean-hc-20140331-Interview.mp3 <10:04>

Sabres head coach Ted Nolan, who signed a three-year contract with the Sabres over the weekend, believes that he has enough young talent to turn around the club in a few seasons.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nolan will be on Fan 590 at 12:15PM.

http://player.rogers....ca/cjcl/on_air

Edit: He's on now!

What better example of Nolan's "Compete" Mantra than Girgensons? Make him Captain early like the Avs did with Landeskog and let his leadership and work ethic set the example for all.

Will it matter that Girgs will be like the 5th or 6th best player on the team by 2015?

Soundbites from the presser:

"In trying times, I've liked a lot of what I've seen. ... In a losing situation, I have liked what I've seen." -Tim Murray on his confidence in Ted Nolan

"We need better players. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out." -Tim Murray on his vision about the roster.

"You know, when you have good players, it just makes the game so much easier. You look at some of the teams we play, and their hockey intelligence is what gets them out of a lot of trouble. Certainly, good players are [hockey intelligent]. But in order to have good players where we are, we have to develop those players. So I'm looking forward to that. And through Tim's experience finding that talent, it'll make my job a lot easier. The only thing I have to worry about is coaching and knowing that I'll be receiving some really good players." -Ted Nolan on the vision for the roster

"What makes the job so exciting is looking down the road. What we have now is what we have now. You see some chunks of coal here, and you polish 'em up, and they're gonna be some pretty good diamonds down the road. We got some really good young players." -Ted Nolan on what makes this opportunity exciting

"You know, I come from the same type of background. Nothing was given to myself, you had to work for things. This city, it's a blue collar town. They love to work, and if you give them an honest effort, and if you're honest with them, I think that's a key. You can't lie. And you can't fluff things that are not there. I think if you're truthful and if you're straightforward, they appreciate it that much more. I try to be as straightforward as I possibly can with them and with the players- I'll tell 'em if they had a bad game, and I'll also tell them that they played a good game. You don't fluff it up. So, I don't know, the night when I first got here a number of years ago, there was a big Native American population welcoming me to the city, and right from that I just really fell in love with the area." -Ted Nolan on why he connects so well to the city and fanbase

"The bottom line is building something for the city that this city will really love and appreciate when we do it." -Ted Nolan

Is it me, or are these two guys just really ###### reasonable.

Honestly, what did you expect them to say on the day they are signing contracts?

These guys are playing poker with their cards exposed.

They have been dealt a very crappy hand.

The only perceived savior here is they get to draw four cards with their ace.

Edited by wjag

I got a Big Green Egg last Summer. I have been meaning to make chicken wings on it, but have not yet. So far, I love the BGE. I am still trying to perfect some things through trial and error. The versatility of the egg is amazing. From ribs, to rib eyes, to everything else. I have been hit or miss with the pizzas. For some reason, I have not been able to bake these consistently well and have had trouble at times with the dough.

As for the wings, there is a place in South Florida (where I live) called Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. They make great wings. I have been tempted to ask them how they do theirs.

The other thing that I have wanted to try, but have not yet, is the spatchcock turkey and chicken. I hear that comes out well.

If you have any other recipes or go to BGE recipe sites (other than the BGE site itself), please share.

I've had some good luck the few times I've done pizza. I think the key to getting the crust and toppings done simultaneously is to slowly heat your stone to 600 ish and cook high in the dome. I accomplish that with the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com. I highly recommend their "customer combo" to increase the capacity and versatility of your egg even more. Another great resource for recipes and tips is eggheadforum.com

Spatchcock chicken is awesome. I'd cook dinner every night on my egg if the wife would let me.

I've had some good luck the few times I've done pizza. I think the key to getting the crust and toppings done simultaneously is to slowly heat your stone to 600 ish and cook high in the dome. I accomplish that with the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com. I highly recommend their "customer combo" to increase the capacity and versatility of your egg even more. Another great resource for recipes and tips is eggheadforum.com

Spatchcock chicken is awesome. I'd cook dinner every night on my egg if the wife would let me.

Thanks.

Honestly, what did you expect them to say on the day they are signing contracts? These guys are playing poker with their cards exposed. They have been dealt a very crappy hand. The only perceived savior here is they get to draw four cards with their ace.

Some GMs would "fluff it."

Either by blowing smoke up yer ace at the trade deadline:

We feel that with addition of Raffi, it's allowed us to get a little bigger on the wall. He's got good playoff experience. He's been to the finals. And he's something that we think fits into our group of forwards. I would say also that when we looked at the players that were available, I characterized the trade deadline more in context of looking for tweaks, additions, support, depth, and when we looked at things that we could do organizationally, we feel that we've got people pushing from Portland.

He's only six feet, but he's a big body out there. He skates very well, shoots the puck, goes into the paint, plays in the hard areas, and that fits when you look at our skill guys, that fits well with our hockey club.

Or, with delusions of being a team that can sign big names and trying to reinforce that delusion in fans, by making extremely poor personnel decisions:

[Garth Snow] had to know that, even if Wang was willing to take a big step forward and make a sizable financial commitment to Vanek, it was never going to be enough money to keep him aboard irrespective of team performance, location, or other factors that might’ve otherwise played into his decision.

It's true, we're playing a ###### hand, but there are still some that would try to bluff.

There's a level of straightforwardness and simplicity from Murray and Nolan, along with the acknowledgement that straightforwardness is well received by fans, that is intriguing.

Some GMs would "fluff it."

Either by blowing smoke up yer ace at the trade deadline:

Or, with delusions of being a team that can sign big names and trying to reinforce that delusion in fans, by making extremely poor personnel decisions:

It's true, we're playing a ###### hand, but there are still some that would try to bluff.

There's a level of straightforwardness and simplicity from Murray and Nolan, along with the acknowledgement that straightforwardness is well received by fans, that is intriguing.

They know they can't BS us. We were right about Regier all along and there's no fooling us again. The only thing we're going to buy is the truth. And we already know the truth. They have to show us that they know it too.

They know they can't BS us. We were right about Regier all along and there's no fooling us again. The only thing we're going to buy is the truth. And we already know the truth. They have to show us that they know it too.

They know they don't have to BS us. These guys are starting with a clean slate. No history, no face saving. We suck. We know it. We'll get better.

For the tandem that was around 16 years, it is very clear that if the team wasn't performing, it was squarely their fault. It was not acceptable for Lindy and Darcy to say that because we'd sucked for long enough that we could have, should have, been better by now. Obviously their magic was spent. Lindy and Darcy provided incredible stability to a team that was besieged by scandals, bankruptcy and ownership changes. The team was a mess, and they got us through it, and for that I am grateful. But their usefulness to the organization was gone and they weren't the guys for the rebuild. Darcy did a helluva job of stocking the team with draft picks, but I'm glad he's not the one doing the picking. He was okay picking individual players and "winning" trades in a vacuum, but lacked the vision to put a cohesive, complete team together.

I have hopeful expectations for the current tandem. They seem like they were thrown together, neither one necessarily choosing to work with the other at first, but both making the best of it and finding a surprising amount of common ground - compete level and hockey IQ as priorities - and I think going forward they will complement each other. And both seem to tell it like it is.

As for the team, I'm really okay with where they're at right now. A number of young veterans (Staff, Ennis, Myers, etc.) that, if they work out, may be on the team in the future. Some fill-in journeymen (Ellis, Mitchell, D'Ags, etc.) that will certainly not be around in two years but will give us everything they've got for the time they are here. Some up-and-coming NHLers (Foligno, Hodgson, etc.) that may be part of the future, but will be hounded by a talented youth movement led by Girgensons. Defense appears to be solid, goaltending promising (hopefully at least one solid starter out of 4 or 5 current players/prospects).

I think we go through the rest of the year as is, with three A's. Next year I see the C going to either Stafford (Nolan is very high on him, not sure if he genuinely believes what he says or if he's trying to inspire him to a high level of play) or Girgensons. Even as more talented players come up behind Girgensons, I can see him keeping the C; you don't necessarily need the captain to be your best player, you just need a leader, and Girgs seems to be all that.

So.... with the signing of Nolan, I like where this team is headed.

Am I the only one here that thinks Nolan has been evasive in nearly all of his interviews since he's come back?

I just think he's a "bad interview." His command of English is somewhere between that of McKelvin and Ray.

I just think he's a "bad interview." His command of English is somewhere between that of McKelvin and Ray.

I dunno. I got alot of answering but not answering the question asked yesterday and interviews in the recent past.

Every hear a C.J. Spiller interview?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-CJ-Spiller-Senior-Bowl-Visit/3103423d-53c1-40d9-bc04-bd04e9dae11e

The guy is awesome and one hell of a player, but he might wanna get a Hooked-on-Phonics

Am I the only one here that thinks Nolan has been evasive in nearly all of his interviews since he's come back?

I dunno. I got alot of answering but not answering the question asked yesterday and interviews in the recent past.

I commented on this when he was first hired this year. He uses so many words to not answer the question, yet I still like him. It's a pretty amazing talent.

I commented on this when he was first hired this year. He uses so many words to not answer the question, yet I still like him. It's a pretty amazing talent.

it's a skill I first really noticed in Bill Clinton. I think TN knows very well what he's saying/going to say. He may not have a tremendous vocabulary but I think he has excellent command of the message he is trying to convey. He's avoiding questions and making you feel good about the answer he's given. He may have missed his true calling.

Now, TM is a different kind of cat. He's about as frank as I;ve ever heard a sports team manager. He doesn't bother to be evasive. He'll either answer the question without pulling punches or he'll tell you he's not going to answer the question. I do like that quality but I wonder how long it will be before it gets him in trouble.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.