All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

I think it's pretty clear Nolan sees Girgensons as the next captain.

Unless Nolan lets the team vote a captain (which I prefer), Girgensons should be anointed at the start of next season.

And finally, it's not rumor, Nolan is the HC. Good.

Edited by Eleven

I think it's clear that Nolan sees Girgensons as the captain, I'm not convinced he sees him as captain to start next season. It's a big responsibility for the kid. If I were his coach I'd be more inclined to have him develop for a year, or two, more and then name him captain.

Believe it, or not, with the change I've seen in Stafford, I'd name him captain for next season.

EDIT TO ADD:

Brian Duff is an idiot, IMO.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I think it's clear that Nolan sees Girgensons as the captain, I'm not convinced he sees him as captain to start next season. It's a big responsibility for the kid. If I were his coach I'd be more inclined to have him develop for a year, or two, more and then name him captain.

Believe it, or not, with the change I've seen in Stafford, I'd name him captain for next season.

EDIT TO ADD:

First off I'm more than thrilled to have Nolan as coach full time. You can tell he's a players coach and he will get the most out of these players just like he did the first time he coached Buffalo.

I think Girgenson's is a future captain but not yet and not next year. Give him another season or two. I hate to say this but Stafford has been a ton better since Nolan was hired as coach. Captain material I don't know but him paired with Ennis have been the two best Buffalo forwards.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Nolan will be on Fan 590 at 12:15PM.

http://player.rogers....ca/cjcl/on_air

Edit: He's on now!

I think Girgenson's is a future captain but not yet and not next year. Give him another season or two. I hate to say this but Stafford has been a ton better since Nolan was hired as coach. Captain material I don't know but him paired with Ennis have been the two best Buffalo forwards.

What better example of Nolan's "Compete" Mantra than Girgensons? Make him Captain early like the Avs did with Landeskog and let his leadership and work ethic set the example for all.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Seems crystal clear to me also. I like the idea.

@BuffaloSabres

At 12:30pm ET, Ted Nolan & Tim Murray will address the media. We'll stream the press conference LIVE here: http://goo.gl/zeSQGb

Here we go...

Tim Murray: Talking about the team being competitive every night for the most part.

"...in my opinion, no matter what you guys write."

Every time Tim Murray speaks I fall a little more in love.

More from Tim

"Number 1, free agents like to go to teams that can win."

"That was a horrendous road trip by any standard, for the league to put that in our lap is wrong."

Here we go...

Tim Murray: Talking about the team being competitive every night for the most part.

"...in my opinion, no matter what you guys write."

Every time Tim Murray speaks I fall a little more in love.

More from Tim

"Number 1, free agents like to go to teams that can win."

"That was a horrendous road trip by any standard, for the league to put that in our lap is wrong."

is he saying the trip destinations and how it was planned was wrong by the league?!

You and all wing-deprived WNYers should get a deep fryer. They are only about $35-$40 on Amazon and you can make wings that are very close to Duffs or Gabriel's Gate quality. The only issue is that it is essential that you have a porch or backyard or some other outside space to set it up -- if you use it indoors it will stink up your house for a good 4 days.

Turkey fryer rocks for this. I can make 20+ wings at a time in my turkey fryer. 360 degrees for ~12 minutes = crispy, delicious wings.

Must do it outdoors though.

I've done wings every way imaginable at home and for me the unquestionable winner are wings prepared on my Big Green Egg, or a good charcoal grill. I smoke them with apple wood for about an hour using indirect heat at about 350, then I grill them direct for a few minutes each side to get them extra crispy. A simple buffalo style wing sauce of Franks, butter, garlic powder, Worcestershire and celery salt. Perfection. Another key to getting crispy skin from grilled wings is to pat the wings dry with a paper towel and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before throwing them on the grill.

@BuffaloSabres

BREAKING NEWS: Ted Nolan signs contract extension and is officially named Buffalo #Sabres head coach.

BkDdWcUCMAA92-o.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

Details on Ted Nolan's contract extension + quotes: http://bit.ly/PcvD82

#Sabres

How DARE the team owner be there when the contact was signed. 'And I'd've gotten away w/ it too, if it weren't for you meddling owners.' (Or something to that effect. ;))

But Tim Murray doesn't like Ted.

I thought it was 'there's no way Teddy will come back after the way Patty got shafted by that meddling owner and his evil sidekicks TB & JB.' :rolleyes: :lol:

EDIT TO ADD:

Considering the shelf life of a Sabres' captaincy seems to be about the same as a packed live lobster, I'm ok w/ that.

I've done wings every way imaginable at home and for me the unquestionable winner are wings prepared on my Big Green Egg, or a good charcoal grill. I smoke them with apple wood for about an hour using indirect heat at about 350, then I grill them direct for a few minutes each side to get them extra crispy. A simple buffalo style wing sauce of Franks, butter, garlic powder, Worcestershire and celery salt. Perfection. Another key to getting crispy skin from grilled wings is to pat the wings dry with a paper towel and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before throwing them on the grill.

I got a Big Green Egg last Summer. I have been meaning to make chicken wings on it, but have not yet. So far, I love the BGE. I am still trying to perfect some things through trial and error. The versatility of the egg is amazing. From ribs, to rib eyes, to everything else. I have been hit or miss with the pizzas. For some reason, I have not been able to bake these consistently well and have had trouble at times with the dough.

As for the wings, there is a place in South Florida (where I live) called Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. They make great wings. I have been tempted to ask them how they do theirs.

The other thing that I have wanted to try, but have not yet, is the spatchcock turkey and chicken. I hear that comes out well.

If you have any other recipes or go to BGE recipe sites (other than the BGE site itself), please share.

I like Nolan. I want to see what he can do with a good team. I really hope he gets one before his time is up here.

Right there is a problem. It seems likely that next season's team could be just as dreadful as this one. I hope Ted gets the chance, and neither he nor management lose patience.

Overall, excellent news though.

Edited by Jsixspd

I got a Big Green Egg last Summer. I have been meaning to make chicken wings on it, but have not yet. So far, I love the BGE. I am still trying to perfect some things through trial and error. The versatility of the egg is amazing. From ribs, to rib eyes, to everything else. I have been hit or miss with the pizzas. For some reason, I have not been able to bake these consistently well and have had trouble at times with the dough.

As for the wings, there is a place in South Florida (where I live) called Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. They make great wings. I have been tempted to ask them how they do theirs.

The other thing that I have wanted to try, but have not yet, is the spatchcock turkey and chicken. I hear that comes out well.

If you have any other recipes or go to BGE recipe sites (other than the BGE site itself), please share.

There is one up this way, in Coral Springs and Pompano. I'll check it out, thanks. I won't get my hopes up on the wings, nobody around here makes a real Buffalo chicken wing (which is why I make them at home now) but I'm dying for a decent pizza. It's really tough to come by up this way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.