All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

With regard to Scott, I think Nolan is really trying to salvage the guy's career. Post suspension, Scott was penalized virtually every time he hit someone. Every time. I doubt that Scott will ever be a complete hockey player, but Nolan is trying to teach him how to play without the rough stuff. Personally, I do not think he has much value outside of intimidation, but if it is only going to cost the team, and ultimately run him out of the league, what is the point. Noble but will not likely work for the guy.

Charitable or not, Scott has been a much better player out there. I think he hasn't been asked to be anything but a goon for years. No matter Nolan's motivation, he's been asking more of Scott and Big John is responding admirably. He'll be a casualty of the rebuild and will be displaced at some point, but geez, you gotta love the imagination of Nolan in even seeing that Scott was capable of more, and the effort Scott has put in to improve.

He's always been respectable with the puck along the boards when the pile was stationary, and a decent passer to move the puck up ice. In recent weeks he's been much better positionally and has been hustling a lot more to make sure he keeps position. I think they've been working on his skating and conditioning. Let him work out with Myers- the Big Guys Club.

Do we really know if Corsi was that good?

Nope. We also don't know if he's bad. All I know is we haven't had a goaltending problem in my entire adult life. I'm not saying that's because of Corsi, I'm just not sure what he's done to earn a firing.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Nope. We also don't know if he's bad. All I know is we haven't had a goaltending problem in my entire adult life. I'm not saying that's because of Corsi, I'm just not sure what he's done to earn a firing.

Part of the old regime. That's just how this stuff works.

The mustache would be enough for me.

I guess that's what losing the interim tag means. You get to pick your staff. Fair enough.

I'm fine with Ted as coach as long as the Sabres are team of AHL third liners.

Do I think he has the head to match wits with Babcock and Quineville?

Well at this point that hardly matters....On the chessboard Nolan only has pawns, the better coaches have major pieces.

Do we really know if Corsi was that good?

Exactly. No one here has any freakin' idea as to whether Corsi was any good as a coach. Everyone knows they named a stat after him -- but that's all we know.

I guess that's what losing the interim tag means. You get to pick your staff. Fair enough.

I'm fine with Ted as coach as long as the Sabres are team of AHL third liners.

Do I think he has the head to match wits with Babcock and Quineville?

Well at this point that hardly matters....On the chessboard Nolan only has pawns, the better coaches have major pieces.

It would be nice, and fair, to give him a chance with a real NHL team though, innit? He did pretty well with the Hasek Sabres and the mid-90s Islanders.

Exactly. No one here has any freakin' idea as to whether Corsi was any good as a coach. Everyone knows they named a stat after him -- but that's all we know.

I'm going to be a bit contrarian: do you think it's possible to judge the quality of a coach based on his team's results? If so, can you apply this to position coaches?

Edit: personally, especially in hockey, I think players are about 90% of the equation. But we've had such a long run of goaltending success that I don't think it's insane to think Corsi contributed.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I'm going to be a bit contrarian: do you think it's possible to judge the quality of a coach based on his team's results? If so, can you apply this to position coaches?

Edit: personally, especially in hockey, I think players are about 90% of the equation. But we've had such a long run of goaltending success that I don't think it's insane to think Corsi contributed.

He did alright considering the average material he had to work with. :ph34r:

How long has he been the coach?

Supposedly Corsi developed his number to gauge the amount of work a goalie was getting. Meanwhile, Ryan Miller would be a skeleton come April and May year after year. That was reason enough in my mind to fire him.

Hold up there. One* of my two constant criticisms of Ruff--and I did!--was that he didn't manage his goalies correctly. Why is this on Corsi now?

*The other was that he juggled lines too frequently.

Hold up there. One* of my two constant criticisms of Ruff--and I did!--was that he didn't manage his goalies correctly. Why is this on Corsi now?

*The other was that he juggled lines too frequently.

If that is your claim to fame and you can't convince your coach that he needs to space Miller more often as he melts in front of your eyes with a giant workload year after year....what good is you?

I guess we should look at how many goalies came through the system since 2001 and what they did.

I also would resent that Darcy supposedly used the Corsi numbers to build his team, and that Corsi was always in the press box attached to Darcy's hip.

Any word on Rip and George?

You know, there's something about Rip that bugs me. And it's this: The assignment of "NASCAR numbers" to rookies is stupid and demeaning. If they made the cut, or even if they get called up, let them pick the number that they wear. If some kid wants 9, let him have 9. There's no reason to arbitrarily give him 67 instead. That kid fought his whole life to get a shot. You do laundry.

I've met Rip a few times, and I like him and I like his stories, but allowing him to control who wears what number is as stupid as his assignment "system" is.

You know, there's something about Rip that bugs me. And it's this: The assignment of "NASCAR numbers" to rookies is stupid and demeaning. If they made the cut, or even if they get called up, let them pick the number that they wear. If some kid wants 9, let him have 9. There's no reason to arbitrarily give him 67 instead. That kid fought his whole life to get a shot. You do laundry.

I've met Rip a few times, and I like him and I like his stories, but allowing him to control who wears what number is as stupid as his assignment "system" is.

Didn't know that was a Rip function. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Mildly agitated eleven is almost as good as angry eleven. And I agree.

Absolutely hate that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.