All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

Tortorella is not the answer. To anything. Other than the question, "What Canucks coach will be fired this May?"

I'm not implying that we should have Torts as a coach. Just using him as an example of a coach who'd have a lot more VIBRANT reaction to the BS that Philly pulled against us, and the league clearly turns a blind eye to, given the joke of a 4 game suspension for a guy with priors.

I'm not implying that we should have Torts as a coach. Just using him as an example of a coach who'd have a lot more VIBRANT reaction to the BS that Philly pulled against us, and the league clearly turns a blind eye to, given the joke of a 4 game suspension for a guy with priors.

Or Pat Roy. Fireworks for sure.

Tortorella is not the answer. To anything. Other than the question, "What Canucks coach will be fired this May?"

Tortorrella is a bit of an extreme, but I want a coach that shows some passion behind the bench. I don't know how any player feels, but if I was on the bench and I see some of these instances where my teamates are getting abused whithout anything being called or my team receives some terrible call against it and I see no reaction from my coach other than maybe some harder gum chewing, I'd feel let down.

Andrew Peters brought up an incident against the Flyers where a Sabres player was in the offensive zone in the corner when the play ended he was being bullied by two Flyers players, one of them having him in the headlock and the Sabres defensemen wouldn't even join the scrum because of not wanting to have the faceoff moved outside the zone. This is something that the coach is instructing the players to do or not to do. This team right now has the identity of a team you can do whatever you want to do against and not worry about any kind of retaliation against it. I lost count of how many times Conacher was was abused by the opposition in the last two weeks and not one time do I remember any Sabre player doing anything to come to his aide.

If this is a case of the players not wanting to stick up for each other, than the coach should be all over their ###### for not doing so, but I really believe it's the opposite and it's Nolan telling them he does not want any retaliation going on.

^^^ This

I never would have thought a Ted Nolan coached team would act like a bunch of cream-puffs out there, but that's what we're really seeing. The more easy-going the team is, the more cheap shots they'll take, and resultant injuries they'll sustain. They got Teddy on Valium or what?

Edited by Jsixspd

^^^ This

I never would have thought a Ted Nolan coached team would act like a bunch of cream-puffs out there, but that's what we're really seeing. The more easy-going the team is, the more cheap shots they'll take, and resultant injuries they'll sustain. They got Teddy on Valium or what?

sure as hell seems as if he shut John Scott down no?

I am in the "this is not the same Ted Nolan as before camp".

I just do not see the dramatic difference in the "give a damn" from the Sabres..

It's not difficult to sort out guys, the team has mailed it in. The players are not dumb, they know this is the season of the tank. Why lay it on the line when the fanbase and management have a "lose at all cost" attitude?

I think it will be different next year as things start to get turned around with the young guys getting another year under their belt, AHL guys coming up, and talent being added via trade at the draft.

Next year, when the Sabres have a chance and the games truly matter, I think we'll see a different Ted behind the bench.

Edited by Campy

The Sabres right now have THREE goalies on the DL. THREE!!! That's no coincidence - I think it's a consequence of this odd soft philosophy of the Sabres - We've seen time and again other teams' skaters charge right into that crease and pound in there, with limited, if any, response from the Sabres.

These other teams know, they know, that they can pretty much do anything to the Sabres, and there's no danger of retaliation. And that's adding up to a boatload of injuries. Why can't Ted see this?

I can't even relate to the attitude on a personal level - if I see a friend or a person I like getting physically abused - my natural instinctive reaction is gonna be to be FURIOUS! I can relate a helluva lot more to the reaction of a John Tortorella or Patrick Roy going ape than the passivity we see on the Sabres bench for the last couple years.

Edited by Jsixspd

Can we please take a look at the historically bad roster before judging ANYTHING about the coach of this team. This team is awful, I mean AWFUL and I can't believe these games are not not 10-0 every single night. Forget the forwards playing right now and the injuries to the few NHLers on this team, they are playing the 4th (if not 5th) string goalie. This team is impossible to judge right now.....

Its sink or swim time for TN and Tm. They are judging each and every one of these guys on how they react to any given situation. They both know that next year we'll see a massive turnover of this roster. TM has said as much in that up to 10 of these guys will not be with the team. I REPEAT. This is not the roster we will see next year. A few will remain but there will be turnover. The soft passive play you see out of a lot of these guys now will be their ticket out of town.

sure as hell seems as if he shut John Scott down no?

I am in the "this is not the same Ted Nolan as before camp".

I just do not see the dramatic difference in the "give a damn" from the Sabres..

Paul Hamilton and the WGR talking heads all said that they have been told by John Scott, that Nolan does not want him fighting. They also discussed the point I brought up in past post about the possibility of Nolan not wanting to be perceived as a coach that resorts to "goon tactics" like he may have been perceived because of his earlier stint with the Sabres. When Nolan was interviewed on WGR this morning and asked about the Flyers games, he couldn't of sounded more like a politician in giving his answer to why nothing was done about the way the Flyers abused his players.

Can we please take a look at the historically bad roster before judging ANYTHING about the coach of this team. This team is awful, I mean AWFUL and I can't believe these games are not not 10-0 every single night. Forget the forwards playing right now and the injuries to the few NHLers on this team, they are playing the 4th (if not 5th) string goalie. This team is impossible to judge right now.....

The talent of the roster has nothing to do with players wanting to stick up with each other and in no way can I be convinced that every night, each and every one of those 19 guys out there that are afraid to stick up for a teammate.

Edited by kishoph

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10749758/nhl-ted-nolan-building-new-culture-buffalo-sabres

Thought it was a pretty good artical about nolan, don't know if it has been posted yet.

"Those young guys are really starting to catch on. That's how you change," Nolan said. "Those are going to be the leaders of this team. You see change in how they're competing, how they're communicating with one another in the locker room."

Cody hodgson was referenced on this, at some point in the season I had a feeling he was in Nolans doghouse, but maybe not.

http://espn.go.com/n...-buffalo-sabres

Thought it was a pretty good artical about nolan, don't know if it has been posted yet.

Cody hodgson was referenced on this, at some point in the season I had a feeling he was in Nolans doghouse, but maybe not.

Nolans comments on Hodgson are kind of like all of his offensive zone starts in Vancouver when that team was shopping him. Maybe Teds pumping his tires ? ;)

Sabres Nolan likely to let his staff go at seasons end

Multiple people inside the Sabres organization have told me that Ted Nolan will let go his entire staff when the season is over.

The only coach I’m unclear on is Joe Sacco although many are telling me he’s gone too. As a matter of fact, some on the staff are already telling people they know they’re gone.

Nolan has complete say over his coaching staff and he’d like to bring in people he’s worked with and knows. He has mentioned his admiration for Team Latvia goalie coach Arthurs Irbe who coached the Capitals goaltenders through 2011.

Just because a player is in Nolan's doghouse doesn't mean he hates him forever. I don't think it's a personal thing; it's based on performance. If performance improves, it's all good.

Paul Hamilton and the WGR talking heads all said that they have been told by John Scott, that Nolan does not want him fighting. They also discussed the point I brought up in past post about the possibility of Nolan not wanting to be perceived as a coach that resorts to "goon tactics" like he may have been perceived because of his earlier stint with the Sabres. When Nolan was interviewed on WGR this morning and asked about the Flyers games, he couldn't of sounded more like a politician in giving his answer to why nothing was done about the way the Flyers abused his players.

With regard to Scott, I think Nolan is really trying to salvage the guy's career. Post suspension, Scott was penalized virtually every time he hit someone. Every time. I doubt that Scott will ever be a complete hockey player, but Nolan is trying to teach him how to play without the rough stuff. Personally, I do not think he has much value outside of intimidation, but if it is only going to cost the team, and ultimately run him out of the league, what is the point. Noble but will not likely work for the guy.

As far as the rest of the team, or what Nolan may or may not be telling them, its anybody's guess. I suspect he would prefer to see shift to shift toughness and heart rather than raw reaction to events. He is not getting that on a nightly basis and as someone else pointed out, it will be the demise of more than a few careers here.

With regard to Scott, I think Nolan is really trying to salvage the guy's career. Post suspension, Scott was penalized virtually every time he hit someone. Every time. I doubt that Scott will ever be a complete hockey player, but Nolan is trying to teach him how to play without the rough stuff. Personally, I do not think he has much value outside of intimidation, but if it is only going to cost the team, and ultimately run him out of the league, what is the point. Noble but will not likely work for the guy.

As far as the rest of the team, or what Nolan may or may not be telling them, its anybody's guess. I suspect he would prefer to see shift to shift toughness and heart rather than raw reaction to events. He is not getting that on a nightly basis and as someone else pointed out, it will be the demise of more than a few careers here.

I think there just aren't enough healthy players, so Nolan needs Scott in the lineup and out of the penalty box. I'd like to think it was a charitable effort, but I don't.

I'm sorry he is firing our goalie coach? That may be the dumbest thing I have read on here all year and its been a completely terrible year full of stupidity. Jim Corsi is probably one of the best GT coaches in the league.

I disagree. There are plenty of good goalie coaches in this league. And it's time for some fresh perspective on the position.

Also, I love Arturs Irbe.

Best part of this video is Harry Neale mixing up "ambidextrous" and "amphibious". :lol:

Goalie coaching seems to be the very least of the Sabres' problems. In fact, our goal-tending is pretty good. Even Hackett seems to be developing into a fine backup.

Quality of net minding - that might be just accidental good luck that we keep getting good goalies? OR they're getting good coaching that helps them to use their specific talents and strengths? I'm inclined to think the latter instead of the former.

I'm all for a fresh perspective, but why roll the dice when we have a good goalie coach in Jim C. right now?

Edited by Jsixspd

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he told them to not fight has to do with this joke of a season, the desire to be seen as an x's and o's type of coach and not just the coach of a goon team, and his kid's career being ended early due to concussions, and respect for the game (the anti-Reggie from Slapshot).

Not necessarily always in that order and most likely with emphasis on different things at different times, but I don't think there's just one reason for him telling his guys to pull back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.