All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

And from the Islanders he moved on to the Latvian national program. We all know that's a huge rung on the coaching ladder. The Sabres let him go and he didn't get another job for seven years. SEVEN YEARS! That doesn't happen with someone who is a great coach.

I think we are the only franchise in the world that would cheer this move.

I see this as nothing but, if I'm going to remove the old I'm going to right a wrong in the meantime in the short term.

And from the Islanders he moved on to the Latvian national program. We all know that's a huge rung on the coaching ladder. The Sabres let him go and he didn't get another job for seven years. SEVEN YEARS! That doesn't happen with someone who is a great coach.

I thought that was by choice so he could watch his kids grow up.

i know Nolan is a "hard working guy" and all that... but I hope they tell him to play the kids and play them a lot! more so than that, play them with good players, and tell them to go have fun and create. Tell them to not worry about being in the right place defensively all the time because that's when they stop using their God given talents. We need to see if Grigs and others can BE the guys... if they get ruined at 19, we'll be looking at Tim Connolly again.

we aren't good... so I don't care if we lose 6-3 if we can see glimpses of what Grigs and others can be. I don't care if they are a -2 every night if they are giving us hope. right now, losing 2-0 because Miller makes 48 saves is NOT fun and gives me no hope.

Edited by TM8-PL16

i know Nolan is a "hard working guy" and all that... but I hope they tell him to play the kids and play them a lot! more so than that, play them with good players, and tell them to go have fun and create. Tell them to not worry about being in the right place defensively all the time because that's when they stop using their God given talents. We need to see if Grigs and others can BE the guys... if they get ruined at 19, we'll be looking at Tim Connolly again.

Problem is, we need to get them some good players.

Problem is, we need to get them some good players.

I agree but playing Grigs with John Scott and now with Cody McCormick every night doesn't exactly put him in the best situation to succeed and can't be exciting for him. Play him with the best we have, or atleast the top 5, and see what happens for a few games in a row.

Can someone please fill us newer fans in on tr legend and history of this man?

Have you seen "Slap Shot?"

Forgive my ingnorance PAS...what is this Bob Swados book you are referring to?

"Counsel in the Crease." A really interesting, hard to read, cleverly written, self-indulgent book, but well worth trying to plow through. Some conspicuous factual errors bring doubt to the stories, but hell the guy was ancient when he wrote it. And he's since passed away.

The first 25%-30% of the book is all about Swados and his pre-Sabres career -- I would skip it. The rest of it though has quite a bit of interesting Sabres behind-the-scenes stuff.

Here's the real important thing to note on Nolan. The Sabres let him go in 1997. He didn't land another real coaching gig until Moncton of the Q hired him in 2005. Now there are stories that he had random offers here and there, but what exactly happens to keep a guy away from coaching for 8 years? This guy was poison, there's no doubt in my mind. Hopefully he has straightened that out.

Well, when he returned to the NHL, he did get a crappy Islanders team into the playoffs in his first year.

He also got canned following his 2nd year (in which they missed the playoffs), so it's likely that he still didn't know how to coexist in an organization.

In any case, it will be up to the new GM, and in the meantime I do expect to see signs of life.

For the record, I think that Ted Nolan was one of the most over-rated coaches in Sabres history. The whole "hardest working team" in hockey and the fighting were entertaining but his philosophy was basically let the other team take 75 shots at Hasek, block about 25 and then when they are frustrated and tired score a timely goal.

It was basically the rope a dope of hockey.

The notion that he worked well with younger players was also over blown. He worked well with marginal players who were grateful for the opportunity. He was knocked out of the playoffs largely because he tried to out tough the Flyers. The next year under Ruff, they utilized their speed and won rather easily.

All that being said, he is a good guy, a passionate guy and he can be entertaining for about a year and maybe with age and maturity he has developed a better feel for the X's and O's.

If the new GM is more progressive in his approach to the game, it would be surprising if he kept Nolan.

I think Ted is a good hire and I thought he did a great job with what he had to work with. It's funny that the first guy that comes to mind with Patty is Ted Nolan. Come on Pat was a world class player so he must have thought very highly of him as a coach. Think what you want of him. Past is the Past. He will get more out of these guys the Rolston!

I see the media links haven't improved in my absence.

I loved Ted Nolan then, but that doesn't mean I want him to be our coach now.

I prefer administrators with no connection to the organization at all - its a lot easier to fire someone if their number isn't hanging in the rafters.

Ted must hire Hasek as his assistant immediately, as he never accomplished anything without leaning heavily on Hasek.

One thing I will say about Ted - he knows what to do with a stable full of guys who enjoy the rough stuff. I expect PK to be switching spots with stafford within the next two weeks.

All about Ted Nolan?

Now I hear tell that Ted Nolan was born in Bangor, Maine. It took five giant storks to deliver Ted to his parents. His first bed was a lumber wagon pulled by a team of horses. His father had to drive the wagon up to the top of Maine and back whenever he wanted to rock the baby to sleep...

;)

Oh, chill. I'm sure its me. I plugged in a link but i am looking at code where a picture should be on my screen. The picture showed in the post preview pane, but just code in the thread.

The forum probably doesnt understand data urls, so it didnt put it in an img tag.

What a breath of fresh air; Coach Nolans after practice interview was spectacular.

One word came to my mind when listening to Coach Nolan, and that was "clarity".

Clarity of vision and expectations.

He also has a genuine commanding presence behind the podium; I just felt like he belonged there.

Lastly, I was so glad that I didn't have to hear the word "process".

I am excited about the future of the Sabres once again.

Let's Go Buffalo!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.