New President of Hockey Operations, Presser @10:30 a.m.

spndnchz

Amen.

We had this discussion in the "will there be trades" thread. I figured Patty would be the perfect guy to take this role at this point, and was talented and realistic enough for Pegula to bring in.

I seriously have nothing to complain about.

I trust Lafontaine. He may be skilled and a pretty face, but he will chop your ankles, spear your groin, and blow kisses to your girlfriend when on the ice. He is all class and a smart man off the ice. Perfect.

Ted Nolan got a raw deal. I am so happy for him. The first thing he said is he's going to look into these players eyes and see who has "it". I trust him to weed out the slackers quickly.

I'm ok with Devine staying. He is a passionate scout.

This team has a FREE PASS from me now. I couldn't have asked for a better scenario.......as I have said before....the TRUTH always prevails!

I hate it when we're in complete agreement. It's just not right :P

No one should be complaining about either one of these guys. I think Ted Nolan will get more out of this current squad than Rolston and the hiring of Lafontaine for hockey operations and the firing of Darcy just made my day. I have been waiting for Regier to get fired for a very long time now.

Nolan is a familiar name intended to please a few fans and keep them quiet for now. He's a temporary hire until the new GM gets his way.

Nolan is a familiar name intended to please a few fans and keep them quiet for now. He's a temporary hire until the new GM gets his way.

Maybe. I think Pat could have brought in anyone at this point, well, anyone not already coaching the NHL. Nolan was brought in because he's already worked with Pat in turning around a culture.

Because "suffering" in the abstract is a whole different animal than staring it in the face each and every night.

I'm fine with temporary suffering or deprivation, , if the end result will be reaching one's goal - in this case a high quality competitive NHL team. But suffering and suffering and more suffering, with no end in sight.....and no confidence the aforementioned goal would EVER be reached under the previous management.... no one wanted that.

Edited by Jsixspd

Maybe. I think Pat could have brought in anyone at this point, well, anyone not already coaching the NHL. Nolan was brought in because he's already worked with Pat in turning around a culture.

And I'm fine with that. There is no good choice for a short term coaching gig like this. If it pleases a few fans, so be it.

Patty is a leader, not a yes man, and is as well-respected in hockey circles as it gets.

He will stand up to Pegula, set the right tone and command the ear of free agents.

I doubt Teddy will offer much in terms of systems, but he can't be worse than Rolston.

He will be good for demanding effort and bringing the team together.

But most of all, the firing of Darcy was ridiculously overdue.

Hope was dead as long as he was in charge.

No idea how good the new regime will be, but this can't be seen as anything but a good move.

Pat has the gravitas to correct Pegula, and Pegula will listen. Remember, this is the owner who cried in the presence of his heroes.

This is a huge step for Pegula; he hired someone who WILL correct him and WILL guide him towards a winner, rather than keeping a wishy-washy yes-man around. Just look at Pat's first move: he brought in Ted Nolan - talk about a ballsy, left-field move. Very, very exciting and this speaks volumes about Pegula, IMHO.

This times a million

Pat has the gravitas to correct Pegula, and Pegula will listen. Remember, this is the owner who cried in the presence of his heroes.

This is a huge step for Pegula; he hired someone who WILL correct him and WILL guide him towards a winner, rather than keeping a wishy-washy yes-man around. Just look at Pat's first move: he brought in Ted Nolan - talk about a ballsy, left-field move. Very, very exciting and this speaks volumes about Pegula, IMHO.

+1

Great post

Wow!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled with this move.

Pat Lafontaine, what a class individual, and what a great choice.

Ted Nolan. The guy was a winner here once, hopefully he can be again.

I am shocked at his hiring, but the guy deserves another shot.

Finally this team is going to get on the right track.

Wow!!!

My beef with the BN boys, they act like little children except Vogl. It what keeps them from being respected like the guys at TSN

Well, that plus the pedestrian hockey insights and utter lack of any inside info.

Well that escalated quickly.

Very nice.

Nolan just used the phrase that pays: "change the culture."

Yessss!!!

I wonder if the Guy in Pittsburgh will be it. He already has connections and knows folks.

I would've thought him to be the front-runner, but OTOH I think LaFontaine will make the call without deferring to the Pittsburgh network.

Whether it works out or not, the point is Terry made a necessary change. Pat and Ted may not be the answer, but Darcy and Ronny clearly weren't.

Right on.

Unless he sucks. Seriously, I think the past is so far removed from the present that if Nolan can't steer this team in the right direction, the fanbase won't care if he is truly only an interim coach. I think everyone wants a Cup.

This too -- if they look lost, he won't be the guy next year.

OTOH, I do expect him to inject life into this group of corpses.

Pat had the nads to correct Pegula though....."For Now".

Lafontaine is willing to talk over him, and sure as hell doesn't want to scare off guys who have an Alpha tendency. I think Patty knows his boss, but has enough couth to "guide" him.

Preach it brother! Testify!

Because "suffering" in the abstract is a whole different animal than staring it in the face each and every night.

Right on.

Good call.

so the big question is how long does it take for Pat to hire this new GM? I worry about the Limbo created in absence of that. I think if anyone can get this team moving its Ted Nolan.

I predict the new GM will be on board within a week.

Separately: HOLY MACKEREL!!!!

I haven't said this since game 5 or so, but I am officially psyched to watch the next Sabres game.

The odds are against Nolan being the answer long-term, but I will say this: he is a maniac. He will get the team to play hard and passionately.

The entertainment factor is going to skyrocket. The players are going to play hard, there will be a buzz in the crowd -- and that Leafs game will be crazy.

Halle-freakin'-lujah.

Game on!

Separately: HOLY MACKEREL!!!!

I haven't said this since game 5 or so, but I am officially psyched to watch the next Sabres game.

The odds are against Nolan being the answer long-term, but I will say this: he is a maniac. He will get the team to play hard and passionately.

The entertainment factor is going to skyrocket. The players are going to play hard, there will be a buzz in the crowd -- and that Leafs game will be crazy.

Halle-freakin'-lujah.

Game on!

Cody McCormick has to be dancing in the street right now.

Well, that plus the pedestrian hockey insights and utter lack of any inside info.

I predict the new GM will be on board within a week.

All of this. TBN is right down the road from the teams they cover and they can't get the inside scoop that the national guys have. They rarely offer anything of substance. And their opinions are whack.

And yea, I also don't think that Nolan will be here for very long, but he won't give in easily unless he knows that it's the plan.

I see a GM here within a week or two. I have to assume they've already contact some guys to see if they're interested.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.