What if rebuilding through the draft doesn't work?

Mike Oxhurtz

We will have a new GM, maybe by Christmas, definitely by sometime between the trade deadline and the draft. It is already the plan.

Dear me I hope so but I think you're a bit overconfident here.

Not offering Briere a contract extension because good ol' Darcy was pissed that Briere took the Sabres to arbitration wasn't fault? Waiting until the end of a players contract [Drury] negotiate an extension wasn't his fault either I bet?

This is just not even close to factually accurate.

Not offering Briere a contract extension because good ol' Darcy was pissed that Briere took the Sabres to arbitration wasn't fault? Waiting until the end of a players contract [Drury] negotiate an extension wasn't his fault either I bet?

Literally nothing you just said is what happened. In Drury's case, he got him to agree to a contract extension and then the Sabres never sent it over for him to sign after Golisano got cold feet. Ruff and Regier were crazy about Briere before that but it was the same situation.

You've heard of Larry Quinn and Tom Golisano, right?

Literally nothing you just said is what happened. In Drury's case, he got him to agree to a contract extension and then the Sabres never sent it over for him to sign after Golisano got cold feet. Ruff and Regier were crazy about Briere before that but it was the same situation.

You mean the good old days?

Were they also responsible for overpaying Myers & Stafford? Resigning Glass Joe [Connolly]? Signing Leino to a ridiculous contract?

Dear me I hope so but I think you're a bit overconfident here.

This is just not even close to factually accurate.

So you're saying they offered Briere a contract extension? That's why the NHL was grilling Briere and his neighbors in Buffalo about other teams talking to Briere before the start of free agency.

In regards to Drury, I clearly remember Regier saying that year that he doesn't discuss contract extensions with players until the offseason.

Guess all of that isn't factually correct to your standards.

keeping regier is bufalobillsstupid..yes THAT low

If this was the Bills, both Regier & Ruff would have left many years ago due to the owners' meddling. They would have been replaced by castoff coaches/GM's or clueless up and coming assistants.

Were they also responsible for overpaying Myers & Stafford? Resigning Glass Joe [Connolly]? Signing Leino to a ridiculous contract?

These are all things you were talking about back in 2007 when you claim you were the only smart person on the board but SDS laughed at you?

You can't show up, say you were the only "right" person on the board in 2007, and then provide a description of how 2007 went down that bears no resemblance to reality. And when you're called out on that, your response can't be "Oh yeah? Well, what about this other random stuff???"

These are all things you were talking about back in 2007 when you claim you were the only smart person on the board but SDS laughed at you?

You can't show up, say you were the only "right" person on the board in 2007, and then provide a description of how 2007 went down that bears no resemblance to reality. And when you're called out on that, your response can't be "Oh yeah? Well, what about this other random stuff???"

Okay genius, tell me how things really went down in 2007 then?

Okay genius, tell me how things really went down in 2007 then?

I did up above, genius.

I'm starting to suspect that the reason no one on this board took you seriously back in 2007 (according to you) was not that you were right all the time and people just couldn't handle the truth.

Except that Black Sunday Isn't his fault.

But carry on.

Black Sunday wasn't his fault - for reasons discussed beyond infinitum.

Zubrus leaving later that week was a major faux pas and on DR. I'm just ticked that I didn't see it for what it was at the time.

Zubrus leaving later that week was a major faux pas and on DR. I'm just ticked that I didn't see it for what it was at the time.

The biggest misstep by Regier is never really discussed though. Following the two runs coming out of the lockout, Regier should have realized that a rebuild was needed after the 06-07 season. Letting Drury and Briere walk would have made a lot more sense if he had also allowed Vanek to go to Edmonton and taken the picks.

Had the rebuild cycle started then, we wouldn't have suffered through all these years of futility. We might have suffered, but at least we wouldn't have had the same stagnant roster.

The biggest misstep by Regier is never really discussed though. Following the two runs coming out of the lockout, Regier should have realized that a rebuild was needed after the 06-07 season. Letting Drury and Briere walk would have made a lot more sense if he had also allowed Vanek to go to Edmonton and taken the picks.

Had the rebuild cycle started then, we wouldn't have suffered through all these years of futility. We might have suffered, but at least we wouldn't have had the same stagnant roster.

A big part of why that isn't discussed is THAT wasn't his fault. After LQ said all offers would be matched, DR's hands were tied.

Coming from you. That's cute.

I remember that thread about Flynn and Ruhwedel being a nice surprise. Deluca can't be off topic if he's bashing Darcy (even if it is just a word by word rehash of every post he's written in the last couple years), but if you're off topic in a thread where the OP bashes Darcy? That's when he gets you.

A big part of why that isn't discussed is THAT wasn't his fault. After LQ said all offers would be matched, DR's hands were tied.

I'm not sure Darcy would have let Vanek walk anyway, but we'll never know thanks to LQ. Plus at the time the Sabres would have really lost the fan base if they lost Vanek. It certainly would have been the right move in hindsight.

I remember that thread about Flynn and Ruhwedel being a nice surprise. Deluca can't be off topic if he's bashing Darcy (even if it is just a word by word rehash of every post he's written in the last couple years), but if you're off topic in a thread where the OP bashes Darcy? That's when he gets you.

Ruh roh now big bag Deluca is gonna come after you too!

Currently it is more like #pooprint, isn't it?

And we are all stuck in the #gooprint... repeating ourselves over and over again. But yeh, this sucks.

I agree, Drury was going to NY, it was a known fact that it was a dream of his to play there. DR spent too much time on him trying to change his mind lost Briere, and Zubrus... man he started a pretty tick tack toe with Jagr ending in a goal by Zajac last night, and then was forced into countering Edmonton's offer of Vanek.

That in my mind is still Darcy's biggest blunder that he has never recovered from. A blind man could have seen that train coming... Hell, we saw that train coming and sqawked about it for weeks on end... Wash, rinse and repeat... Darcy is still here. Again, Wash, Rinse and repeat.

I did up above, genius.

I'm starting to suspect that the reason no one on this board took you seriously back in 2007 (according to you) was not that you were right all the time and people just couldn't handle the truth.

So let me get this straight, all of the Sabres problems/mistakes when Goilsano & Quinn owned the team were caused by solely by Golisano & Quinn, not Regier? Now that Golisano & Quinn are gone, it's all Regier's fault now for the Sabres problems/mistakes? You must be a politician...

We all painfully know that the Sabres plan on being a bad team for the next couple of seasons in order to draft franchise players that can change the teams fortunes. What if Regier's plan doesn't work? If so, when will Pegula & Black finally give Regier the axe.

While there's no doubt the Sabres need to rebuild, Regier shouldn't be the guy doing it as the Sabres have been a bad team since 2007.

I don't want to make it sound like its been sunshine and rainbows since then, but we haven't been a "bad team" since 2007. We won a division in '09-'10, and arguably could have done some damage in the playoffs if Vanek didn't go down in Game 2. Not sure why everyone forgets that year.

I don't want to make it sound like its been sunshine and rainbows since then, but we haven't been a "bad team" since 2007. We won a division in '09-'10, and arguably could have done some damage in the playoffs if Vanek didn't go down in Game 2. Not sure why everyone forgets that year.

And the following year, they were up 3-2 in round 1 against the Flyers, who had made the SCF the prior year, with a chance to close it out in Game 6 at home, and a 3-1 lead in the 2nd period to boot. Blowing that game and that series was the beginning of the end.

And the following year, they were up 3-2 in round 1 against the Flyers, who had made the SCF the prior year, with a chance to close it out in Game 6 at home, and a 3-1 lead in the 2nd period to boot. Blowing that game and that series was the beginning of the end.

Those two seasons were some completely forgettable hockey and the outcomes in those playoffs were a given, Vanek or not. There were people here (I wasn't one of them) that were calling for the rebuild to begin then, when our players values were at their highest. If only Darcy had listened.

Yet Darcy remains. Why? Of course my opinion is that Terry made the decisions in 2011 and probably pushed for Ron ("Sabres University"). Terry can't fire Darcy. Darcy is Terry's useful yes man. "I can work with him."

A theory that still has legs. We'll see what the next 2-5 months bring.

If it doesn't ultimately work it'll be the #booprint

Love this.

Currently it is more like #pooprint, isn't it?

This works as well.

I also liked #blueprint.

Coach Ran Ralston said Connor McDavid would be benched for a fourth straight game. "We need Cannar to work a lat harder than he has been." McDavid has one point in 11 games while skating between Cody McCormick and Eric Boulton.

~1:48 mark

Ooof.

Archived