What if rebuilding through the draft doesn't work?

Mike Oxhurtz

We all painfully know that the Sabres plan on being a bad team for the next couple of seasons in order to draft franchise players that can change the teams fortunes. What if Regier's plan doesn't work? If so, when will Pegula & Black finally give Regier the axe.

While there's no doubt the Sabres need to rebuild, Regier shouldn't be the guy doing it as the Sabres have been a bad team since 2007.

We all painfully know that the Sabres plan on being a bad team for the next couple of seasons in order to draft franchise players that can change the teams fortunes. What if Regier's plan doesn't work? If so, when will Pegula & Black finally give Regier the axe.

While there's no doubt the Sabres need to rebuild, Regier shouldn't be the guy doing it as the Sabres have been a bad team since 2007.

What you are really saying is "what if re-building with Darcy Regier doesn't work?" IMO, the answer to the question is it won't and the actual start date for the "rebuild" is the day Darcy Regier is fired. Under Regier's guidance this franchise continues a decent to depths of futility never before reached by this franchise. It will remain on a course to obscurity until Pegula makes the change.

What you are really saying is "what if re-building with Darcy Regier doesn't work?" IMO, the answer to the question is it won't and the actual start date for the "rebuild" is the day Darcy Regier is fired. Under Regier's guidance this franchise continues a decent to depths of futility never before reached by this franchise. It will remain on a course to obscurity until Pegula makes the change.

I agree 100% I have absolutely no confidence in Regier and have been wanting him fired since the end of the 2006-07 season.

Darcy may suck as a GM but it appears as if the team has drafted well. The issue is bad coaching which might do terrible harm to our kids. It looks like RR is screwing up Grigs.

I'm disenchanted with Rolston, but, at a certain point, if it's always about a coach "screwing up" the players, I've gotta wonder whether the players were screwed up to begin with.

The younger the better. 40% of the stories on the front page of Sabres.com have to do with Junior Sabres and 12 year olds.

I can't wait for this Friday. I pray Toronto starts strong and there are only Leafs fans in that building come the 3rd period.

But a strong Toronto presence only guarantees that "fans" keep buying season tickets so they can sell to Leafs fans, perpetuating a vicious circle. I'm not sure how that circle is ever broken.

Not for nothing, the idea of evaluating Regier based on what he does under Pegula is already down the toilet. The decisions in the summer of 2011 were a "wild" swing and a miss, according to Ted. The hiring of Rolston appears to be another miss. Yet Darcy remains. Why? Of course my opinion is that Terry made the decisions in 2011 and probably pushed for Ron ("Sabres University"). Terry can't fire Darcy. Darcy is Terry's useful yes man. "I can work with him."

But a strong Toronto presence only guarantees that "fans" keep buying season tickets so they can sell to Leafs fans, perpetuating a vicious circle. I'm not sure how that circle is ever broken.

Not for nothing, the idea of evaluating Regier based on what he does under Pegula is already down the toilet. The decisions in the summer of 2011 were a "wild" swing and a miss, according to Ted. The hiring of Rolston appears to be another miss. Yet Darcy remains. Why? Of course my opinion is that Terry made the decisions in 2011 and probably pushed for Ron ("Sabres University"). Terry can't fire Darcy. Darcy is Terry's useful yes man. "I can work with him."

Uncle Terry did say that Lindy was going nowhere when he bought the team, and Ruff was fired last year. At some point if this rebuilding project doesn't workout, then he's going to have to fire Regier, otherwise, he'll have an empty FNC.

^This.

And if it doesn't work, there's no mystery. You keep building until it DOES work.

GO BILLS!!!

The younger the better. 40% of the stories on the front page of Sabres.com have to do with Junior Sabres and 12 year olds.

I can't wait for this Friday. I pray Toronto starts strong and there are only Leafs fans in that building come the 3rd period.

No matter how bad things get, I could never wish for that, I hate the leafs, I hope we beat the leafs.

I think the better question to ask is if building solely through the draft is actually a smart way to do things. Looking through the years, it really is hit and miss in the first round. Outside of the first two picks overall, it seems like you can draft an everyday player or one who never makes it just as easily. If Bucky didn't make every article a tired "Fire Darcy" crusade, he could actually craft an argument that calls into question the organizational plan of building through the draft.

I personally think that they are trying to be bad enough to garner at least 2 top 3 picks. And I think keeping Rolston at the helm helps that goal.

Archived