What if rebuilding through the draft doesn't work?

Mike Oxhurtz

So how many years have the Buffalo Bills been "rebuilding"? Or maybe it should be 'decades' instead of years now? At any rate, based on the outcomes with the Bills, color me highly skeptical when anyone talks about "rebuilding" in a positive light. I usually think of "rebuilding" as an excuse for failures, and continued failures, and a way for dead-wood to stay employed.

With Darcy's hands all over the rebuild, #booprint is a possible outcome. But I'm "Robviously" :) hoping that will not be the case.

I'm sure the Regier apologists are already limbering up their excuses . As to Regier himself, he must cry out "It's not my fault!" more often than Han Solo.

Are there any Regier apologists left?

Seriously, is there a poster on this board who, if Darcy was fired tomorrow, says "that's a mistake."

It's funny, I remember at the end of the 2007 season I said that Regier should have been fired and got bashed heavily by folks on here, and if I remember the moderators name (SDS?) said I had no clue what I was talking about. Fast forward 6 years, looks like I did know what I was talking about back then (and now).

It's funny, I remember at the end of the 2007 season I said that Regier should have been fired and got bashed heavily by folks on here, and if I remember the moderators name (SDS?) said I had no clue what I was talking about. Fast forward 6 years, looks like I did know what I was talking about back then (and now).

Yep, anyone who criticized Ruff or Regier during or in the afterglow of the conference finals runs was in for a rough time.

Washington? Really

Yeah I'm not too sure why they talked up the Capitals in the beginning there. Ovechkin hasn't won, or even been to, a Cup final. That's not success.

This was what stuck with me, not too surprising, but makes me nervous that we'll be an Ottawa

As Nill mentioned, part of the rebuilding process can be about timing. The Penguins ended up with Crosby and Malkin, but the Ottawa Senators had the No. 1 pick in back-to-back years and ended up with Chris Phillips and Bryan Berard, fine NHL defensemen but not game-changers.

As the Flames continue their rebuild and the Sabres get started, the 2015 NHL Draft might offer a player who can make the difference, someone who can make the plan to "lose and draft" a great idea.

"If you look at the teams that really hit in the draft, it was about getting the right pick at the right time," Nill said. "There's a young man by the name of Connor McDavid who is coming up in two years. Well, he's a franchise player. Somebody is going to draft him and he's going to be the cornerstone of the franchise for 15 years, for 20 years. Those players only come along so often

Except that Black Sunday wasn't his fault.

But carry on.

Coach Ran Ralston said Connor McDavid would be benched for a fourth straight game. "We need Cannar to work a lat harder than he has been." McDavid has one point in 11 games while skating between Cody McCormick and Eric Boulton.

But carry on.

Someone else was holding the brush? No wonder Darcy's a little prickly, given all the hands he's had up his puppet ass over the years.

Coach Ran Ralston said Connor McDavid would be benched for a fourth straight game. "We need Cannar to work a lat harder than he has been." McDavid has one point in 11 games while skating between Cody McCormick and Eric Boulton.

Someone else was holding the brush? No wonder Darcy's a little prickly, given all the hands he's had up his puppet ass over the years.

My disenfranchisement with this entire organization is saddening.

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

So I didn't see this anywhere, but this was a good read. Basically saying Darcy's modeling his rebuild after other successful stories

Interesting tidbit, especially for the Darcy is a weasel crowd. Right from a GM's mouth.

It is usually not up to the manager. It is ownership's call on how they want to do it," McPhee said. "You take your instructions from ownership. You certainly give your advice on it, and you say there's one way to do it and another way to do it, and pick which one you want to do and away you go.

They are all Darcy with a higher alcohol tolerance. At least all of the employed ones are.

Ha!

I'm not dismissing the article...just linking McPhee and the word weasel....he may be the only GM I would actually take Darcy over. Watching 24/7 a few years ago....holy cow...it was a very similar scene to Buffalo in philosophy.

But carry on.

Not offering Briere a contract extension because good ol' Darcy was pissed that Briere took the Sabres to arbitration wasn't fault? Waiting until the end of a players contract [Drury] negotiate an extension wasn't his fault either I bet?

Not offering Briere a contract extension because good ol' Darcy was pissed that Briere took the Sabres to arbitration wasn't fault? Waiting until the end of a players contract [Drury] negotiate an extension wasn't his fault either I bet?

He could have signed Briere, Drury, Dumont, McKee, Campbell, and Grier ($22.5 million per), for the same it cost to sign Connolly, Hecht, Kalinin, Kotalik, Gaustad, Roy, Vanek.....not to mention the 4 #1 picks for Vanek and $3 million in cap space.

I'm sure Pegula has NO CLUE as to this....and probably doesn't care.

He could have signed Briere, Drury, Dumont, McKee, Campbell, and Grier ($22.5 million per), for the same it cost to sign Connolly, Hecht, Kalinin, Kotalik, Gaustad, Roy, Vanek.....not to mention the 4 #1 picks for Vanek and $3 million in cap space.

I'm sure Pegula has NO CLUE as to this....and probably doesn't care.

I think Pegula knows this all too well, which is why he authorized long term signings for Myers, Hodgson, Leino and Ehrhoff. Hasn't worked out terribly well to date, but those moves show recognition of past errors. I also think it's far more complex than this, especially when Golisano was on record for wanting only one year contracts and allowed for Briere to go through the arbitration process in the first place. Darcy has a lot of faults, but I don't know if the dismantling of that team can be one of them.

Archived