Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'm in the mindset that it's a no lose scenario, except for the Islanders win the lottery and steal Reinhart from us. So I want them to stay in the 4-5 slot because I don't think there's too big a difference between pick 3 and 5 but the difference in lottery odds is enough to make me nervous.

We already have 2 blue chippers on the blue line who are big. We need high end offensive talent and we've needed it so bad for so long.

I know we have 2 blue chippers on defense but no-one really knows what Tim Murray has on his mind for this team. He has a ton of picks and a ton of cap space.

I'm in the mindset that it's a no lose scenario, except for the Islanders win the lottery and steal Reinhart from us. So I want them to stay in the 4-5 slot because I don't think there's too big a difference between pick 3 and 5 but the difference in lottery odds is enough to make me nervous.

That would suck if the Islanders won the lottery which is a possiblity. I hope no but you never know

I would still much rather pick this year with the Islanders pick. I think they will be better next year at least better than what they are now.

Agree completely. Anything could change. The offseason is a mercurial place. Snow could be fired, a new GM installed and somehow the acquire a goalie...and some additional talent. Not saying it's likely, but it's not impossible. Getting two of Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett, might be worth it.

I hope his plan is to have a first line. If not, I don't think his plan is going to work.

You could still have a first line even if they draft ekblad this year as long as the Islanders give us their pick this year. Plus he's got a ton of picks in order to fill in the first line. You figure if we are just as bad next year he could draft another forward plus with all these picks he could move up with whoever he's been eyeing.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

You could still have a first line even if they draft ekblad this year as long as the Islanders give us their pick this year. Plus he's got a ton of picks in order to fill in the first line. You figure if we are just as bad next year he could draft another forward plus with all these picks he could move up with whoever he's been eyeing.

What does Ekblad give us that Rasmus and Nikita don't? I just don't see it.

What does Ekblad give us that Rasmus and Nikita don't? I just don't see it.

Another solid defenseman. I'm not saying I want him as I would like to see offensive players taken in this year draft if we use ours and the Islanders in the 1st. But I wouldn't be super pissed if Murray drafted Ekblad though. Who really knows what Murray is going to do. If he has an eye for talent then he might be able to work magic outside of the top ten. Plus with all those picks he has plenty of ammo to move up.

If they believe Ekblad is the best player then you pick him, its all about acquiring a commodity with the highest value. Doesnt mean he actually has to play a game for the Sabres (or maybe itss another prospect traded) for high end offence. If all these guys turn out there wouldn't be enough minutes for Risto, Z, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe and Ekblad on the same team.

I wouldn't trade any of them right now, I'd want to make sure I know exactly what I have before I let them go and there is no hurry to acquiring a skilled forward.

Also, I do believe they will need a vetern or 2 in order to help out all of them. So you trade 1, sign a good vet. to lead the kids and we have a D that rivals, if not betters, St.Louis in 2 or 3 years.

and no Edmonton isnt my trading partner unless they are ready to give up Hall.

If they believe Ekblad is the best player then you pick him, its all about acquiring a commodity with the highest value. Doesnt mean he actually has to play a game for the Sabres (or maybe itss another prospect traded) for high end offence. If all these guys turn out there wouldn't be enough minutes for Risto, Z, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe and Ekblad on the same team.

I think that logic does apply, but not in the first 5 or so picks. Anywhere else in the draft you pick the best player available. In the top 5 (maybe even just the top 3), you pick what you project that you'll need, since you're never going to get an equivalent player back in trade.

For all the lets just draft Ekblad talk I have one simple question, When was the last time a #1 center was traded straight up for a top 1/2 Defender?

This. +1.

For all the lets just draft Ekblad talk I have one simple question, When was the last time a #1 center was traded straight up for a top 1/2 Defender?

The only trade I can think of that was close to a #1C for a #1/2 D was Pronger for Shanahan, but Shanny wasn't a C. He was, obviously, a high end forward in the early years of his career though.

I'm in the mindset that it's a no lose scenario, except for the Islanders win the lottery and steal Reinhart from us. So I want them to stay in the 4-5 slot because I don't think there's too big a difference between pick 3 and 5 but the difference in lottery odds is enough to make me nervou

The only silver lining with the Islanders winning the lottery would be a probable top ten pick next year in the draft. Plus with Tavares and Strome on the team already, wouldn't Ekblad be a more attractive option for them?

The Islanders are 29th in the league in GA, if they won the lottery and didn't pick Ekblad I'd be shocked. Though, with Snow, anything's possible

Then why did they trade for Vanek. Offense to play with Tavares. They can always get help defensively and goaltending during UFA. Just my opinion. But I hope they don't win the lottery. Looks like they are going to finish anywhere from 3-5. A top 5 pick even in a bad draft year is very hard to come by unless you are the Edmonton Oilers.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Hawerchuk for Housley? Hawerchuk was number 2 here but he was a true #1 and while Housley had worn out his welcome, at the time he was still considered a top d-man around the league.There were other pieces involved but they were mostly window dressing.

Its funny, I remember a lot of critics of the trade making that very point, you never trade a top defenseman for a forward.

Hawerchuk for Housley? Hawerchuk was number 2 here but he was a true #1 and while Housley had worn out his welcome, at the time he was still considered a top d-man around the league.There were other pieces involved but they were mostly window dressing.

Its funny, I remember a lot of critics of the trade making that very point, you never trade a top defenseman for a forward.

Forgot about Hawerchuk for Housley.

Then why did they trade for Vanek. Offense to play with Tavares. They can always get help defensively and goaltending during UFA. Just my opinion. But I hope they don't win the lottery. Looks like they are going to finish anywhere from 3-5. A top 5 pick even in a bad draft year is very hard to come by unless you are the Edmonton Oilers.

He then watched an entire season flush down the toilet after that trade. I doubt he'd be dumb enough to do it again, especially considering Ekblad is the #1 overall ranked prospect.

If the Oilers get zero points the rest of the way then they Sabres will have to go at least 4-3-3 to finish ahead of them.

A point per game from this point on wouldn't be enough to get out of last place even if everybody in front of them finished with zero points.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.