Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

If Snow uses his cap, you never know. Over spending can lead to free agent signings that would not usually come to the market. Just saying. Its not impossible that they can recapture their 2012-13 season. That being said, I would just rather get the talent in the system as fast as possible.

Edited by TheCerebral1

If Snow uses his cap, you never know. Over spending can lead to free agent signings that would not usually come to the market. Just saying. Its not impossible that they can recapture their 2012-13 season. That being said, I would just rather get the talent in the system as fast as possible.

I agree talent in system as fast as possible, but I think if Wang is selling, there is now way Snow gets to spend to the cap and maybe, just maybe the Isle don't defer.

I agree talent in system as fast as possible, but I think if Wang is selling, there is now way Snow gets to spend to the cap and maybe, just maybe the Isle don't defer.

Makes sense. We'll see, if its June 30th and Garth Snow still has a job, I will again be surprised. Same thing with Mike Gillis in Vancouver. Two GM's that just made situations worse. :) Thank goodness, Buffalo got ahead of the curve for once.

One of the things that makes me wonder is if the Islanders have the ability to trade their pick. Could see them trading down and then moving the pick if allowed, but I guess this is one of those unwritten rules you don't break if you want to do business again.

One of the things that makes me wonder is if the Islanders have the ability to trade their pick. Could see them trading down and then moving the pick if allowed, but I guess this is one of those unwritten rules you don't break if you want to do business again.

If they trade the pick in 2014 then we get their 2015 pick. We traded for the Islanders pick not whatever pick they trade around and get. The Islanders pick 5th for instance no matter if they trade out of the spot it is still considered the Islanders pick. So if they traded this year it we be an automatic deferral and next year they would not be allowed to trade because we would already own the pick.

Sam Reinhart 5g, 9a, 14pts in 5games. That is actually fairly impressive.

Wha?

Who is going to trade for a pick they don't get?

If they trade the pick in 2014 then we get their 2015 pick. We traded for the Islanders pick not whatever pick they trade around and get. The Islanders pick 5th for instance no matter if they trade out of the spot it is still considered the Islanders pick. So if they traded this year it we be an automatic deferral and next year they would not be allowed to trade because we would already own the pick.

Wasn't it reported somewhere that the Isles have to decide by June 1st? And, aren't trades closed until some number fo days after the final playoff game?

Wha?

Who is going to trade for a pick they don't get?

Even in some weird, hypothetical world where they could trade down and then still opt for this year, logic would dictate that they Sabres would get all parts of that trade, not just the lower first-round pick. There would be no benefit the Islanders, so it would only be about screwing the Sabres.

Fortunately, as you (SwampD) and others have pointed out, they cannot give us anything other than their original (based on their final position and the results of the draft lottery) first-round pick from this year or next year.

Trades are always specifically written to describe which team the pick originally belonged to.

March 28th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

OHL Network

Eric Cornel C Peterborough 0G 1A +1+/-

Spencer Watson RW Kingston 0G 0A

Kingston lose to Peterborough 3-1 but still lead series 3 games to 1

Josh Ho-Sang C Windsor 0G 0A -2 +/- in Spitfires 4-3 loss to Knights

Windsor lose series 4 games to 0. Ho-Sang’s season is now over

Final Play off stats; 4GP 1G 2A -10 +/-

Brendan Lemieux LW Barrie 0G 0A -1 +/- in Colts 2-1 loss to Wolves

Barrie leads series 3 games to 1.

Does anyone know how the NJ situation affects this years lottery odds?

Good question. Assuming that they miss the playoffs, I could see one of two things happening:

1) The remaining thirteen non-playoff teams would have their probabilities adjusted by (original probabilit)/(1-(NJ probability)), which alternatively could be done by simply re-picking if NJ were to win.

2) If NJ is picked, then nobody moves and the first overall pick stays with the 30th-place team.

Either one would likely (barring a huge run in the last 9 games) help the Sabres, though obviously the latter would be significantly better if we were to finish last. I'm guessing it would be (1).

Edited by carpandean

There will only be 13 teams in the lottery. They might keep NJ in the lottery and then if they somehow win from the low chances they have the original last place team would get it.

That's my assumption, but it'd be the easiest way to do it. So, technically, it would just be adding their odds to the last place team.

There will only be 13 teams in the lottery. They might keep NJ in the lottery and then if they somehow win from the low chances they have the original last place team would get it.

That's my assumption, but it'd be the easiest way to do it. So, technically, it would just be adding their odds to the last place team.

I think Jersey would still have to be in the lottery for their position in later rounds.

I don't think they've ever addressed it. They really only have two options:

1. Leave them in the lottery, which means the worst team (go us!) is essentially given NJ's odds.

2. Remove their "balls" (but what would Deluca say!), which spreads their chance at winning proportionally across all the teams.

I really have no idea which way they'll go. I'm leaning towards the second option right now.

Good question. Assuming that they miss the playoffs, I could see one of two things happening:

1) The remaining thirteen non-playoff teams would have their probabilities adjusted by (original probabilit)/(1-(NJ probability)), which alternatively could be done by simply re-picking if NJ were to win.

2) If NJ is picked, then nobody moves and the first overall pick stays with the 30th-place team.

Either one would likely (barring a huge run in the last 9 games) help the Sabres, though obviously the latter would be significantly better if we were to finish last. I'm guessing it would be (1).

Looks like we're on the same page. I just hope they're transparent with the process. At some point they need to fill in the fans on what they're doing. I'm sure they want to wait and hope that New Jersey will somehow make the playoffs so that they won't have to alter the process at all.

And on that note, since I put balls in quotes, I wonder if they actually use balls or if its just a computer process. I've never seen any of the lottery coverage in the past, so I don't know which way they go. It sure would suck having to put 1000 balls into one of those machines.

Note: NJ is currently around the 10th/11th spot, so they would have a 2.1% or 1.5% chance of winning. In my case (1), which re-distributes their probability, that would give the top pick a 25.54% or 25.38% chance of winning. In my case (2), which basically gives the top team their probability, that would give the top pick a 27.10% or 26.50% chance of winning. Not a huge bump either way, but it's something.

I don't think they've ever addressed it. They really only have two options:

1. Leave them in the lottery, which means the worst team (go us!) is essentially given NJ's odds.

2. Remove their "balls" (but what would Deluca say!), which spreads their chance at winning proportionally across all the teams.

I really have no idea which way they'll go. I'm leaning towards the second option right now.

GR announced a couple of weeks ago that the league will be keeping NJ's chances in the lottery and will simply redraw if NJ is chosen.

Note: NJ is currently around the 10th/11th spot, so they would have a 2.1% or 1.5% chance of winning. In my case (1), which re-distributes their probability, that would give the top pick a 25.54% or 25.38% chance of winning. In my case (2), which basically gives the top team their probability, that would give the top pick a 27.10% or 26.50% chance of winning. Not a huge bump either way, but it's something.

There's a lot of room for them to move too. They're as close to the playoffs as they are to the 6th overall slot. I hope they tank just to make the scenario that much more interesting for the NHL.

There's a lot of room for them to move too. They're as close to the playoffs as they are to the 6th overall slot. I hope they tank just to make the scenario that much more interesting for the NHL.

6th-worst would only give the top team a 1.6% bump. Even 5th-best or 4th-best would just be a 2.2% or 3.0% bump.

6th-worst would only give the top team a 1.6% bump. Even 5th-best or 4th-best would just be a 2.2% or 3.0% bump.

I just want the process to be as annoying for them as possible. If what 11 said was true, I want them to be annoyed and have to re-draw the lottery 4 or 5 times. I'll take the miniscule extra chance of that happening. They deserve any extra annoyances they can get now that they've let NJ mostly off the hook.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.