Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

My expectation is honestly that the Oilers win the lottery but draft Ekblad. I still think I want Bennet over Reinhart. Islanders keep their pick this year. Next year they finish 6th, but win the lottery.

If the Oilers really want Ekblad and don't win the #1 spot, the Sabres should look to swap #1 picks with the Oilers and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd.

Yup. And they will pick Rienhart and I will vomit all over the place in anger.

You vomit when you're angry??

Dal Colle with another brilliant evening last night scoring twice in Oshawa's double ot win. He also had a beauty shot in the second overtime which I thought was going to end it but he got absolutely robbed. If we get the Isles pick this year I would have no problem at all taking this kid. He looks like a man amoungst boys out there. Scott Laughton is a great Philly prospect but Dal Colle has played way better than him in the three playoff games thus far.

Missy is not a great team but Dal Colle has 4 goals and 4 assists in the first three games.

Edited by Derrico

I pretty much want them to take Draisaitailai (sp?) just to watch Ink explode (or vanish permanently into the sinking abyss that is the Shorts-T. Foots-Bermuda Triangle)

Yeah I'll pretty much lose it.

BTW, I'm a FVI guy. I leave the kiddie bars to the kids.

If they believe Ekblad is the best player then you pick him, its all about acquiring a commodity with the highest value. Doesnt mean he actually has to play a game for the Sabres (or maybe itss another prospect traded) for high end offence. If all these guys turn out there wouldn't be enough minutes for Risto, Z, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe and Ekblad on the same team.

I wouldn't trade any of them right now, I'd want to make sure I know exactly what I have before I let them go and there is no hurry to acquiring a skilled forward.

Also, I do believe they will need a vetern or 2 in order to help out all of them. So you trade 1, sign a good vet. to lead the kids and we have a D that rivals, if not betters, St.Louis in 2 or 3 years.

and no Edmonton isnt my trading partner unless they are ready to give up Hall.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Unless the Sabres can trade the pick to get more picks maybe for next year. They ought to shop it around. Ekblad is not needed on this team, The Sabres for a long time need to draft up the middle and guys who can put the puck in the net. They need more than one guy, really they need two lines worth of guys to compete with whatever is currently left on this team...

Any D guys as diamonds in the rough can be probably found in the later rounds maybe out of the USHL or from Europe. If the Sabres draft him though, it definitely is signal that they plan to tank next year. Can't see how they can score with any of this group.

Yeah I'll pretty much lose it.

BTW, I'm a FVI guy. I leave the kiddie bars to the kids.

Yeah, I thought I knew that, I tend to drink on Lift Bridge Lane (haven't been back in a while), I was trying to imply that should this happen, you would suffer a break, and step into the abyss.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Unless the Sabres can trade the pick to get more picks maybe for next year. They ought to shop it around. Ekblad is not needed on this team, The Sabres for a long time need to draft up the middle and guys who can put the puck in the net. They need more than one guy, really they need two lines worth of guys to compete with whatever is currently left on this team...

Any D guys as diamonds in the rough can be probably found in the later rounds maybe out of the USHL or from Europe. If the Sabres draft him though, it definitely is signal that they plan to tank next year. Can't see how they can score with any of this group.

I certainly want a forward to be drafted but I don't agree that Ekblad is not needed on this team. We're in last place, by a lot. Yes our D pipeline looks stronger than our O so I would much rather a forward. Maybe you just meant you would prefer a forward to D because this team is not so deep on the back end that we don't need him.

Also, I think we're tanking next year regardless. In fact, I think Bennett would benefit much more from another year of junior than Ekblad. I think Ekblad is likely the most NHL ready prospect in the draft so by taking a forward with our pick it almost moreso signals the continued tank (which I think will happen regardless of who is selected).

OHL

Connor Chatham RW Plymouth 0G 0A

Alex Peters D Plymouth 0G 0A +1 +/-

Alex Nedeljkovic 53SH 1GA

Plymouth beat Guelph 2-1. Whalers trail series 2 games to 1 Highlights

Josh Ho-Sang C Windsor 1G 1A -4 +/- in Spitfires 10-2 lose to Knights

Windsor trail series 3 games to 0

Brendan Lemieux LW Barrie 2G 0A +1 +/- in Colts 6-4 win over Wolves

Barrie leads series 3 games to 0. HighLights

Eric Cornel C Peterborough 0G 0A -2 +/-

Spencer Watson RW Kingston 0G 0A

Kingston beat Peterborough 4-2 and lead series 3-0

Is there any question at all that they plan on tanking next year?? Listen, even if they draft either of the Sams, I very much doubt they will be playing in the NHL next year. I'm going to guess that Risto and Grigs play in Rochester. Baptiste, Z and whomever they draft this year remain in juniors. With Z im 52% sure he will be on the Knights the others I'm over 80% sure they will stay in Juniors

OHL

Connor Chatham RW Plymouth 0G 0A

Alex Peters D Plymouth 0G 0A +1 +/-

Alex Nedeljkovic 53SH 1GA

Plymouth beat Guelph 2-1. Whalers trail series 2 games to 1 Highlights

Josh Ho-Sang C Windsor 1G 1A -4 +/- in Spitfires 10-2 lose to Knights

Windsor trail series 3 games to 0

Brendan Lemieux LW Barrie 2G 0A +1 +/- in Colts 6-4 win over Wolves

Barrie leads series 3 games to 0. HighLights

Eric Cornel C Peterborough 0G 0A -2 +/-

Spencer Watson RW Kingston 0G 0A

Kingston beat Peterborough 4-2 and lead series 3-0

Is there any question at all that they plan on tanking next year?? Listen, even if they draft either of the Sams, I very much doubt they will be playing in the NHL next year. I'm going to guess that Risto and Grigs play in Rochester. Baptiste, Z and whomever they draft this year remain in juniors. With Z im 52% sure he will be on the Knights the others I'm over 80% sure they will stay in Juniors

Yeh, that was probably an nonsensical statement :rolleyes:. That being said, still need to draft up the middle. Two drafts in row getting top line forwards would be nice. Combined with some of the guys coming up the last couple of years and you might have a close to 2 top lines... and I emphasize might, if a couple of those guys as projected pan out. But the dearth of top line talent on this team is amazing. It may take longer than 2 years, just to develop these guys into NHL players. What does the 2016 draft look like :devil:

Yeh, that was probably an nonsensical statement :rolleyes:. That being said, still need to draft up the middle. Two drafts in row getting top line forwards would be nice. Combined with some of the guys coming up the last couple of years and you might have a close to 2 top lines... and I emphasize might, if a couple of those guys as projected pan out. But the dearth of top line talent on this team is amazing. It may take longer than 2 years, just to develop these guys into NHL players. What does the 2016 draft look like :devil:

Hahahah, I realize you're being facetious but very early on whispers are Sean Day, a Dman for Mississauga. After watching the series against the Gens he has had some real poor lapses that have led to Gens goals. There is no other Connor McDavid for the forseable future and the Tank ends in mid April 2015.

this is way off in the future but I believe Sean Day was granted exceptional status and is in his first season as a 15 year old.

He was. Connor McDavid was also granted exceptional status and at 15 put up 66 points in 63 OHL games. Not saying Day won't be good, just saying there is no generational player in the 2016 draft as there is in next years draft.

He was. Connor McDavid was also granted exceptional status and at 15 put up 66 points in 63 OHL games. Not saying Day won't be good, just saying there is no generational player in the 2016 draft as there is in next years draft.

No, but Day and Tyler Benson are two big names to watch. Not that I want to be in that conversation, though.

Does Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson qualify?

It does indeed and also goes to my point. In the rare instances when it has occurred (a handful of times in the last 20 years) the return has been questionable. Ekblad isn't Pronger IMPO, so we should draft the best forward available. I have no desire to take a overall mature defender who is dominating physically less mature forwards, that always seems to end bad. Just like last year with Seth Jones as the #1 we should by-pass the defense and take the offense.

You vomit when you're angry??

Dal Colle with another brilliant evening last night scoring twice in Oshawa's double ot win. He also had a beauty shot in the second overtime which I thought was going to end it but he got absolutely robbed. If we get the Isles pick this year I would have no problem at all taking this kid. He looks like a man amoungst boys out there. Scott Laughton is a great Philly prospect but Dal Colle has played way better than him in the three playoff games thus far.

Missy is not a great team but Dal Colle has 4 goals and 4 assists in the first three games.

Dal Colle is the perfect player for us if we get the Islanders pick. I really like his game.

Edited by LGR4GM

The whole exceptional player thing is what has me most curious about Ekblad. No matter where he winds up I'll be very curious to see how that career goes. I want to see if this really is a label that has you on the path to the Hall of Fame or if they are going to get a bit to liberal with it. We really don't have much to look at so far, but Tavares is definitely on the right track (as long as the knee doesn't cause too many issues).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.