Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

In a way I hope NYI let us draft this year. I would draft 2 offensive players in the top 6 and then who knows what happens to the Blues/Miller pick. Murray could use the Blues pick plus a second or two to land another 1st rounder in the 10-20 range. I know people think they will be bad next year. I just don't think Snow is going to sit back and do nothing. He is already in hot water over that trade I think he would be happy if they finish 8-15 next year.

He ABSOLUTELY would make moves. The likelihood of them being the RIGHT moves is open to much more debate. ;)

There is also the possibility that TBPhD's concern that Snow could get fired could be realized. Which then interjects the question of how likely is it that Wang FINALLY shoots straight and not into his foot for at least the 5th time? My money'd be on him having 10 toes and a 10 round clip. ;)

Edited by Taro T

He ABSOLUTELY would make moves. The likelihood of them being the RIGHT moves is open to much more debate. ;)

There is also the possibility that TBPhD's concern that Snow could get fired could be realized. Which then interjects the question of how likely is it that Wang FINALLY shoots straight and not into his foot for at least the 5th time? My money'd be on him having 10 toes and a 10 round clip. ;)

I would still much rather pick this year with the Islanders pick. I think they will be better next year at least better than what they are now.

I would still much rather pick this year with the Islanders pick. I think they will be better next year at least better than what they are now.

As the reality of Isles pick becoming top 4 at worst is materializing, I am finding myself slowly coming over to that preference as well. (Not there yet, but I am more open to it.)

i agree. In my ideal world the NYI do not defer and we draft Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle. That could be your Toews and Kane of the future.

Except that none of them even compare to Toews/Kane as prospects. Not even close.

(Not saying there's no chance they get there, but that's making a gigantic leap to say they are).

Except that none of them even compare to Toews/Kane as prospects. Not even close.

(Not saying there's no chance they get there, but that's making a gigantic leap to say they are).

I would be happy with Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle or whoever else Murray thinks in the top 10. I just think if the Islanders pick this year we don't see a high pick like that next year.

So Reinhart and Dal Colle can't be first line players in the NHL? Because that was the point.

Never said that. Said they don't compare to Kane/Toews as prospects. If you meant first-liners then say it.

Pretty sure it was implied. Also Reinhart projects as a 1st line center... like Toews. Dal Colle projects as a first line winger... like Kane. Who the hell knows if they will be as good.

When I make a direct comparison it will be Reinhart projects out to be like Jonathan Toews because he has a strong 2 way game and the ability to distribute the puck like him. I don't think he will be that good but he will in a similar mold.

Edited by LGR4GM

I would be happy with Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle or whoever else Murray thinks in the top 10. I just think if the Islanders pick this year we don't see a high pick like that next year.

I'd rather have next year's pick. Not only because it gives us a better shot at McDavid/Eichel, but because the top of next year's draft is LOADED with players that are better than anything we'd get at 4/5 this year.

McDavid, Eichel, Zacha, Strome, Konecny, Hanifin and Barzal are all better than what we'd get at 4/5 this year. Then there are four or five names that would be in the mix as being better.

Pretty sure it was implied.

It wasn't even kind of implied. It'd be like saying "let's draft Thatcher Demko and he can be our Hasek of the future" and expecting people to understand that you only meant starting goalie and not superstar hall of famer.

Never said that. Said they don't compare to Kane/Toews as prospects. If you meant first-liners then say it.

I'm thinking he meant they are not dynamic as Kane and Toews. Both are superstar players! Toews does it all and Kane to me is the best stick handler in the NHL. Might not be the biggest player but you sure don't see many players getting good hits on him. I think Reinhart,Bennett, and Dal Colle could all get there but they are not on the scale of Toews and Kane right now!

I'd rather have next year's pick. Not only because it gives us a better shot at McDavid/Eichel, but because the top of next year's draft is LOADED with players that are better than anything we'd get at 4/5 this year.

McDavid, Eichel, Zacha, Strome, Konecny, Hanifin and Barzal are all better than what we'd get at 4/5 this year. Then there are four or five names that would be in the mix as being better.

It wasn't even kind of implied. It'd be like saying "let's draft Thatcher Demko and he can be our Hasek of the future" and expecting people to understand that you only meant starting goalie and not superstar hall of famer.

Okay smartass. Sam Reinhart projects out to be similar to Jonathan Toews. Dal Colle projects out to be similar to be a physical 2 way winger, which isn't Kane but more like better Callahan.

Similar doesn't mean they will be the same player and I think Reinhart will be Toews. It means they have similar styles. If you said that stuff about Demko I would actually assume you mean a similar style of player with similar upside.

I'm thinking he meant they are not dynamic as Kane and Toews. Both are superstar players! Toews does it all and Kane to me is the best stick handler in the NHL. Might not be the biggest player but you sure don't see many players getting good hits on him. I think Reinhart,Bennett, and Dal Colle could all get there but they are not on the scale of Toews and Kane right now!

Yea pretty much. Its like saying Reinhart and MacKinnon are comparable. They have similar traits, whether or not Reinhart can translate those to the NHL remains to be seen.

So which is it?

1. You never said similar. You said "that could be your Toews and Kane" which implies that they would play at the same level and role as those two which isn't likely.

2. Then you said you only meant first liners.

3. Now you're saying that you didn't mean first liners you actually meant the loose comparison to the players.

Man, this must be what it's like talking to me sometimes.

Saying players are similar/comparable is different than saying that they'll be that player.

Edited by Tankalicious

Pretty sure it was implied.

How is anyone supposed to imply that you were merely meaning that those 2 could be 1st liners when you directly mentioned 2 of the best top liners in the game? The implication to (darn near) anyone reading that post is that you think Reinhart & Dal Colle can be expected to be elite. If that's what you meant, then stand by it. If it wasn't, and you now say it wasn't, please pick a better analogy. Nobody here can read anyone's mind - we only have what actually makes it into a post to go on. (Sometimes 'preview post' is your friend. ;))

So which is it?

1. You never said similar. You said "that could be your Toews and Kane" which implies that they would play at the same level and role as those two which isn't likely.

3. Now you're saying that you didn't mean first liners you actually meant the loose comparison to the players.

Saying players are similar/comparable is different than saying that they'll be that player.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! ;)

So which is it?

No talking to you is much harder because.... never mind.

I'll simplify for you. Reinhart and Dal Colle can be 1st line forwards SUCH AS your Toews and Kane of the future. If they are on your first line they, in essence, "would play at the same level and role" as Toews and Kane.

Toews and Kane are first liners, to be like Toews and Kane, Reinhart and Dal Colle would have to become first liners.

Actually I was responding to you. Reinhart and Toews are comparable. Reinhart should become a first line center, Toews is a first line center. Reinhart has a strong 2 way game, Toews has a strong 2 way game. What you have failed to realize in your pursuit of me is that the conversation has shifted. So I will spell it out for you since reading comprehension seems awfully difficult today,

Reinhart and Dal Colle could be our Toews and Kane as in the fact that Reinhart would be our stable 70pt 2-way center and Dal Colle could be our sniper 30+ goal winger. Did I say they will exactly be like to Toews and Kane? Nope but ###### it, sometimes people on the internet just want to bitch and moan about nothing.

Regarding the Islanders pick i think the old adage that "1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" might come into play and we should happily accept a top 4 pick from them.

Though it will be really bring some interest to next season if the Islanders defer. God knows watching the Sabres alone won't be interesting.

Regarding the Islanders pick i think the old adage that "1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" might come into play and we should happily accept a top 4 pick from them.

Though it will be really bring some interest to next season if the Islanders defer. God knows watching the Sabres alone won't be interesting.

Very well said, with that in mind what do you think the Islanders do? If your Garth Snow and already took alot of heat for the trading of the pick do you risk just giving a team a top 5 pick this year to be in the McDavid sweepstakes. Who really knows if the Islanders will be that bad. I think with all the unrestricted goaltenders around and a possible free agent signing of a defenseman or offensive player they will be sitting worst in the 8-15 spot.

Choices abound for Central Scouting's No. 1 ranking

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

TORONTO -- Is it impossible to predict the No. 1 choice at the 2014 NHL Draft in June?

Chances are, if you were to ask five scouts to provide their top choice right now, you would hear several different names at the top.

At this stage in the season, there seem to be four legitimate contenders in the mix for top honors, including forwards Samuel Bennett of the Ontario Hockey League's Kingston Frontenacs, Leon Draisaitl of the OHL's Prince Albert Raiders and Sam Reinhart of the Western Hockey League's Kootenay Ice, and defenseman Aaron Ekblad of the OHL's Barrie Colts.

There's also a chance forward Michael Dal Colle of the OHL's Oshawa Generals might also sneak into the mix at some point prior to the announcement of the No. 1 selection on June 27 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

NHL.com: Eastern Conference Scout Mock Draft

As the reality of Isles pick becoming top 4 at worst is materializing, I am finding myself slowly coming over to that preference as well. (Not there yet, but I am more open to it.)

I'm in the mindset that it's a no lose scenario, except for the Islanders win the lottery and steal Reinhart from us. So I want them to stay in the 4-5 slot because I don't think there's too big a difference between pick 3 and 5 but the difference in lottery odds is enough to make me nervous.

Who would you like to see the Sabres draft and what do you see the Islanders doing with their pick? We would have serious problems scoring goals but we would have a killer defense. They say you build from the goal out.

We already have 2 blue chippers on the blue line who are big. We need high end offensive talent and we've needed it so bad for so long.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.