Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

5... You have Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Ekblad... than Dal Colle is right on the edge. After that it is a drop off.

Yep. As for my preference, I still prefer Reinhart. I didn't see all of the game last night but he looked good in the parts I caught.

I highly doubt that!

If they draft first (don't worry, they won't), I'd expect them to give the kid a few NHL games before sending him back down to the CHL for the rest of the season. It's a bonus for the player even if PLF doesn't want 18 year old developing in the NHL.

Doubt it all you want but a 1st overall draft pick is probably NHL ready. That being said I would follow Robviously's plan. PLF will most likely send the prospect back to juniors for the year ready or not. There is a difference between being able to play in the NHL (Zadorov/Ristolainen) and being able to be a real contributor at age 18 (Nathan MacKinnon). Reinhart while I good solid player and probably NHL capable would not be hurt with another year in the WHL

If the Islanders think they will be in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, they may allow us to do just that. Imagine having the 1st overall and the 4th overall picks and taking Bennett and Dal Colle... man would that speed up a rebuild.

If so and the Sabres draft 1-4, Draisaitl and one of Bennet, Dal Colle or Reinhardt, wouldn't the best scenario be their development takes a year, the Sabres tank next year and get in the above mentioned sweepstakes. I know... it is Buffalo, but really, do you have to ruin my daydream:).

If so and the Sabres draft 1-4, Draisaitl and one of Bennet, Dal Colle or Reinhardt, wouldn't the best scenario be their development takes a year, the Sabres tank next year and get in the above mentioned sweepstakes. I know... it is Buffalo, but really, do you have to ruin my daydream:).

IMPO, yes. We have no reason to become Edmonton Oilers East. If you got 2 of the top five (highly unlikely) there really isn't a good reason not to let them play another year in junior. The only thing is if they come into camp and preseason and are rock solid, then you have a real decision. It is hard to say before we see who we draft and how they look at the NHL level but as of right now, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

I should add that I think the Sabres will actually draft 3rd and 10th. With those picks they will draft Reinhart and either Adrian Kempe or Anton Karlsson. They will also have a draft pick somewhere in the early 20's as well. With that they will draft Alex Tuch.

Latest from Central Scouting: http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=699869

Why Bennet? Has he risen that much. Don't know that much about the kid.

CBS article on him is interesting.

http://www.cbssports...-for-2014-draft

NBC's take...

http://prohockeytalk...hl-entry-draft/http://prohockeytalk...hl-entry-draft/

The list below is an interesting ranking set up:

Go below the my draft project list which is dubious and view the actual lists from all the different sources:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Edited by North Buffalo

IMPO, yes. We have no reason to become Edmonton Oilers East. If you got 2 of the top five (highly unlikely) there really isn't a good reason not to let them play another year in junior. The only thing is if they come into camp and preseason and are rock solid, then you have a real decision. It is hard to say before we see who we draft and how they look at the NHL level but as of right now, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

I should add that I think the Sabres will actually draft 3rd and 10th. With those picks they will draft Reinhart and either Adrian Kempe or Anton Karlsson. They will also have a draft pick somewhere in the early 20's as well. With that they will draft Alex Tuch.

I would sign up for that but I still think Reinhart is the first forward taken in the draft.

The way I see it is that there is no way in Hell the Sabres draft after the 4 spot and the top 4 consist of 3 Centers and a can't miss Dman. Edmonton will take the D which means Sabres are in line for a top C no matter what. Let's pray for Grigs to be at least a 2nd line Center someday and we will be looking at '14 draft C, Hodgson and Grigs. Things are stating to look up in my book as the D is going to be just fine. Signing Miller is an absolute must for me though....

The way I see it is that there is no way in Hell the Sabres draft after the 4 spot and the top 4 consist of 3 Centers and a can't miss Dman. Edmonton will take the D which means Sabres are in line for a top C no matter what. Let's pray for Grigs to be at least a 2nd line Center someday and we will be looking at '14 draft C, Hodgson and Grigs. Things are stating to look up in my book as the D is going to be just fine. Signing Miller is an absolute must for me though....

Don't forget Eichel or McDavid next year.

I don't really see Hodgson or Grigs as a 3rd line center, they (so far) don't have the right kind of game. Someone's gonna have to move to wing (I'm thinking Grigs).

I don't really see Hodgson or Grigs as a 3rd line center, they (so far) don't have the right kind of game. Someone's gonna have to move to wing (I'm thinking Grigs).

If we end up with a very good team I would think Grigs would be the perfect 3rd line centre. He is a hard working guy who plays very sound defensively. What makes you think otherwise, just that he will be too good for the 3rd line? Boston had Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin down the middle last season and went to the cup. You almost need 3 good centres to win. If we ever got McDavid and had a high '14 draft centre, Hodgson, McDavid and Girgs down the middle then I'd look at moving one to wing.

Haha yeah it's obvious that Derrico was talking about the Russian Grigs as opposed to the Latvian Grigs. Maybe we just call them Mikhail and Zemgus a la the Sedin brothers in Vancouver. :P

We have to do something. "hard working guy who plays very sound defensively" - I think he had to have been talking about the Latvian.

After dealing with the Grigorenko situation, I doubt they mess with that monster again.

There is a difference. Top picks often play right away. 12th picks almost never do.

Someone is going to have to move to another team. Trades are step two in the rebuild.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.