Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Thornton, marleau, Jagr, vrbata, Moulson, Alfredsson, statsny, legwand, grabovski etc.....

Thornton and Marleau aren't leaving San Jose unless they get a sweet deal from a definite contender. Vrbata left PHX once and learned that he's not good anywhere else. Alfredsson isn't coming here and likely retires. Grabovski is working on an extension with Washington. That leaves Moulson, Stastny, Legwand and Jagr. You'd need three of them to make this offense somewhat decent.

I definitely appreciate tanking (the dishonor for Conner, don't save it for McDavid, etc), but we're going to have very good players coming up from the farm next season. I just don't think introducing them to the NHL via a tank job is a good thing in the long run. That said, the only good tank is with a team of veteran journeymen minus Miller, but I don't see that happening.

Who is coming up next year? Zadorov and Risto aren't going to save the offense. Armia looks like he'll need another year in Rochester. There really isn't anybody coming up.

Thornton and Marleau aren't leaving San Jose unless they get a sweet deal from a definite contender. Vrbata left PHX once and learned that he's not good anywhere else. Alfredsson isn't coming here and likely retires. Grabovski is working on an extension with Washington. That leaves Moulson, Stastny, Legwand and Jagr. You'd need three of them to make this offense somewhat decent.

Who is coming up next year? Zadorov and Risto aren't going to save the offense. Armia looks like he'll need another year in Rochester. There really isn't anybody coming up.

I agree if this team has sunken this low why not suck one more year for a chance at two franchise players!

If Vanek leaves it will be hard for them to fill his spot unless Moulson goes back to the Island.

I'm just saying vanek is far from being the only "offense" set to be a UFA, some of the guys might re-sign but nothing is set in stone like you make it out to be

Sabres in December: 5-5-2

Sabres in January so far: 2-2-3

Say hello to our annual un-Tanking.

2006-08.merkava.destroyed.by.hezbullah.jpg

I don't think they have it in them to undo the progress they've made thus far towards the tank. Even if they are able to keep this .500 pace "surge" they have going in recent weeks (and I don't think they will) that still only puts them in the 70 point range for the season, plenty good enough for bottom 3 in the league,

I don't think they have it in them to undo the progress they've made thus far towards the tank. Even if they are able to keep this .500 pace "surge" they have going in recent weeks (and I don't think they will) that still only puts them in the 70 point range for the season, plenty good enough for bottom 3 in the league,

Basically. The lowest possible pick I think they end up with is four which would be by finishing in third to last then somebody behind them winning the lottery. Still think they end up at one or two.

Basically. The lowest possible pick I think they end up with is four which would be by finishing in third to last then somebody behind them winning the lottery. Still think they end up at one or two.

Nice Reinhart highlight. He has grown on me. As to finishing with the 4th overall, Michael Dal Colle would still make me happy... Not as happy but happy.

Nice Reinhart highlight. He has grown on me. As to finishing with the 4th overall, Michael Dal Colle would still make me happy... Not as happy but happy.

Plus if the Oilers are ahead of us (the most likely team to be) they will pick Ekblad. So that doesn't even effect who we would pick

Plus if the Oilers are ahead of us (the most likely team to be) they will pick Ekblad. So that doesn't even effect who we would pick

I worry that the oilers would take a forward. Yak upon could be a bust. RNH, Eberle and Hall seems okay. That could still use anothere two way forward like Reinhart.

I worry that the oilers would take a forward. Yak upon could be a bust. RNH, Eberle and Hall seems okay. That could still use anothere two way forward like Reinhart.

They took Nurse last year, but, unless something drastically changes, they would likely be banned from the NHL if they didn't go with the "can't-miss" defensive prospect when they have such a bad need there.

Just some basic stats: They're 17th in goals for and 30th in goals against. They have given up 18 more goals than the next closest team.

On the opposite end: we're 15th in goals against and 30th in goals for. We've scored 23 less goals than the next closest team. Chicago, the highest scoring team, has scored 98 more goals than us.

The best case scenario -- the *best* case -- is that we finish with the 3rd fewest points in the NHL. Edmonton and Calgary are both in a death spiral already and they're in the West where basically every team is good (except them). So they won't be getting a lot more points between now and the end of the season.

A 3rd-from-last finish means: 14.2% chance of drafting 1st, 43.8% chance we draft 3rd, and 42.0% chance we draft 4th.

Unfortunately, Florida and the Islanders are still within striking distance. Carolina, Winnipeg, and Nashville aren't super far away either. Let's say a couple other teams collapse for real and the Sabres put together one of their patented last-season streaks.

A 5th-from-last finish means: 8.1% chance of drafting 1st, 68.7% chance of drafting 5th, and 23.2% chance of drafting 6th.

And if we finish 6th-from-last or higher, we will have completely squandered the "tank".

Lots of hockey left and plenty of time for the Sabres to get the four-peat for sucky draft position after a sucky season.

The best case scenario -- the *best* case -- is that we finish with the 3rd fewest points in the NHL. Edmonton and Calgary are both in a death spiral already and they're in the West where basically every team is good (except them). So they won't be getting a lot more points between now and the end of the season.

A 3rd-from-last finish means: 14.2% chance of drafting 1st, 43.8% chance we draft 3rd, and 42.0% chance we draft 4th.

Unfortunately, Florida and the Islanders are still within striking distance. Carolina, Winnipeg, and Nashville aren't super far away either. Let's say a couple other teams collapse for real and the Sabres put together one of their patented last-season streaks.

A 5th-from-last finish means: 8.1% chance of drafting 1st, 68.7% chance of drafting 5th, and 23.2% chance of drafting 6th.

And if we finish 6th-from-last or higher, we will have completely squandered the "tank".

Lots of hockey left and plenty of time for the Sabres to get the four-peat for sucky draft position after a sucky season.

This is why you have no friends.

:P

In the past five full NHL seasons the 5th from last place team averaged 78.2 points. In order for the Sabres to reach that point total in their final 35 games they will need to gather 45.2 points, or a pace of 1.29 pts/game. To this point in the season they have been earning points at a 0.7 pts/game rate. Can anyone imagine this team going 20-10-5 or something similar in their final 35 games? I can't. Granted, in past seasons with Vanek, Pominville, Roy etc. it was a foregone conclusion that the team would ramp up their pt/game pace on a run to nowhere late in the season. I just can't see it happening though with the almost certain trade deadline selling of veterans, especially Miller, and the roster of kids who will be left to finish the year. If they do manage to ruin the tank under these circumstances then we are truly cursed.

There is a bright side.

If they do damage the tank under those circumstances, it means our kids and scrubs are a lot better than we think they are and we aren't as desperate as we think.

Which kids? The only players with less than three years of experience and under on the team right now are Zemgus Girgensons, Mark Pysyk and Marcus Foligno. This roster is no longer the future, so them winning doesn't help in the hope department as most players won't be around long.

I'd be willing to bet that D'Agostini, Ellis, Konopka, Leino, McCormick, Porter, Scott, Tallinder and Sulzer are all elsewhere after the 2014-15 season at the latest. Many before then. That's not considering Stafford, Ott, Miller, Moulson, McBain, Weber or Omark.

There is a bright side.

If they do damage the tank under those circumstances, it means our kids and scrubs are a lot better than we think they are and we aren't as desperate as we think.

That is true, especially with many of our opponents in playoff mode in March/April. I believe the wild card is Miller, if he stays then I see a small chance of the tank unraveling before our eyes.

There is a bright side.

Not really. We've finished stronger each of the past three seasons -- only to start off horribly again the following year. These heroic second half finishes have never led to anything good later.

That is true, especially with many of our opponents in playoff mode in March/April. I believe the wild card is Miller, if he stays then I see a small chance of the tank unraveling before our eyes.

If it's going to happen, that's how. He's been piling up points for us pretty steadily for almost two months now. And now Myers is coming back to life.

Interesting photo on drafting first overall during conversation about the Oilers...

Can't post it from my phone I guess. Chart shows playoff droughts after drafting 1st overall for the last few teams doing so:

Colorado: likely 0.

Edmonton: 4 and counting

NY Islanders: 3

Tampa Bay: 2

Chicago: 1

St. Louis: 2

Pittsburgh: 2

Washington: 2

Columbus: 5

Atlanta: 6

NY Islanders: 1

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.