Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Damn, Aaron Ekblad looks 25.

Could do a lot worse than a Doug Gilmour clone, if we end up with Bennett.

And Reinhart impresses the hell out of me.

We're looking like picking anywhere in the top three will make the tank worthwhile.

And if we are picking ahead of Edmonton and Calgary, we might be able to parley one team's love of Ekblad into some nice extras.

And if by some freak we end up with Dal Colle, big scoring wing is our biggest weakness.

And he looks like a good one.

Edited by dudacek

Damn, Aaron Ekblad looks 25.

Could do a lot worse than a Doug Gilmour clone, if we end up with Bennett.

And Reinhart impresses the hell out of me.

We're looking like picking anywhere in the top three will make the tank worthwhile.

And if we are picking ahead of Edmonton and Calgary, we might be able to parley one team's love of Ekblad into some nice extras.

I'm not really a fan of this idea. If we win the lottery, let's just take the player we have rated no.1 overall and be done with it. What's the point of trading down for an extra 2nd round pick (we already have 3 this year) so that we can settle for a player we have rated lower (or even risk getting not getting the guy we want)?

I'm not really a fan of this idea. If we win the lottery, let's just take the player we have rated no.1 overall and be done with it. What's the point of trading down for an extra 2nd round pick (we already have 3 this year) so that we can settle for a player we have rated lower (or even risk getting not getting the guy we want)?

I'd normally agree with you, but I just don't think there is much to choose from between the top three.

And this is all about baiting Burke into making a Pronger move, or the Oilers desperation to finally get a good d-man.

If we love (for example) Bennett above the other two and aren't sure the other team is picking Ekblad we don't do it.

But we could be in a good position to lever the Oilers and Flames against each other and still get our forward, so why not do it?

Edited by dudacek

McKeen’s Hockey Mid Term Rankings – January 2014:

1 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay (WHL) 6-1/185 06-Nov-95

2 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie (OHL) 6-3/215 07-Feb-96

3 Sam Bennett C Kingston (OHL) 6-0/180 20-Jun-96

4 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa (OHL) 6-2/180 20-Jun-96

5 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert (WHL) 6-2/210 27-Oct-95

Courtesy of Jeremy White's twitter feed. I recommend reading the entire article it is quite interesting.

http://www.thestar.c...ur_feschuk.html

Todd Gill, the ex-Leaf who coaches the Frontenacs, doesn’t hesitate to invoke the comparison.

“He’s got the Dougie Gilmour attitude in the sense that he can beat you in a lot of different ways — kill penalties, play on your powerplay. He makes the ship float,” Gill said.

Neither does Dan Marr, the director of NHL central scouting.

“You remember how Dougie Gilmour played? He wasn’t the biggest guy, he wasn’t the strongest guy, but he didn’t quit on the play. Sam’s got that mentality,” Marr said. “And Sam’s got the skills to back it up.”

...“There’s four of five guys who could conceivably go No. 1, it’s that tight a year. But the one difference maker for us is that in most games we go to, Sam shows that he can be the game changer,” said Marr. “If you want a D-man who’ll be the cornerstone of your team, you’re going to take Aaron Ekblad. He’ll play the same minutes down the road as Shea Weber does in Nashville. Sam Reinhart has exceptional hockey sense — he just might not have ability to influence the outcome of the game as much as Bennett does."

Edited by LGR4GM

McKeen’s Hockey Mid Term Rankings – January 2014:

1 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay (WHL) 6-1/185 06-Nov-95

2 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie (OHL) 6-3/215 07-Feb-96

3 Sam Bennett C Kingston (OHL) 6-0/180 20-Jun-96

4 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa (OHL) 6-2/180 20-Jun-96

5 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert (WHL) 6-2/210 27-Oct-95

This is starting to look like the consensus top 5 players (albeit in many different orders). We should be getting 1 of these guys.

Yes please. How can we possibly get back into the top 3 to 5 after our 1st pick? That will be a challenge I don't think we can meet.

I think it is going to happen. I would think the Islanders give up their pick. We then have numerous 2nd and third round picks where we should be able to move up into the Top 5 from 10 or so.

Still want Reinhart. Would rather have Bennett than Dal Colle.

I dont think Reinhart and Bennett is an option. I think it is more likely to get Bennett and Dal Colle. However if we take Reinhart and Bennett we then have five guys that are supposed to be top six centers.

Edited by FolignosJock

I dont think Reinhart and Bennett is an option. I think it is more likely to get Bennett and Dal Colle. However if we take Reinhart and Bennett we then have five guys that are supposed to be top six centers.

There is talk Reinhart is more suited to winger in the NHL.

Fine with me then!

We would be currently drafting 1st anf fifth if the islanders gave up their pick. Which I think they will because they are most likely going to be worse next year than this year.

I'd draft Bennett and then trade with 4th (our 5th overall plus a 2nd rounder) to move up and take Dal Colle

Fine with me then!

We would be currently drafting 1st anf fifth if the islanders gave up their pick. Which I think they will because they are most likely going to be worse next year than this year.

It may happen but I'd be shocked if they end up fifth from the bottom. They've gone 10-4 in their last 14 and most games they lose is because of their horrendous D, but visnovsky (aka their best D option) is finally almost ready to come back from a long term injury. If I could sign up for them ending up in 5th last today I would sign on the dotted line in a heartbeat.

I think he will be there. But I really dont want the German.

I have a lot of doubts about how well Draisaitl's game will translate to the NHL. If I have two top five picks he isn't in consideration.

I take jake Virtanen over Draisaitl, but then again I am big on Virtanen...

I have a lot of doubts about how well Draisaitl's game will translate to the NHL. If I have two top five picks he isn't in consideration.

I dont take Draisaitl period. I dont think his game translates at all. Also people want to say that he was on a poor team and thats why he ddint do well. Each and every year that Vanek played with Austria in tournamnets where they lost every game he put up numbers. Elite players put up numbers even if their team is over matched.

Didn't mean both together. Just saying if I had to choose, I would take Reinhart number one. If Reinhart is gone or hurt then I take Bennett over Dal Colle.

I'd draft Bennett and then trade with 4th (our 5th overall plus a 2nd rounder) to move up and take Dal Colle

I'm not giving a 2nd round pick to move up one draft slot. Not in this draft. A third maybe if we REALLY feel like Dal Colle is better than the next guy.

If you have two top five picks then you should be more likely to take a risk on Draisaitl. Reinhart and Draisaitl would be a good haul. A safe pick and a risky one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.